RC purposely delaying refunds

I cancelled jy drinks package and specialty dining package over a month ago and still not received the refund. I called and waited over an hour on the phone and gave up.

I thenm wrote to the CEO and received a reply from Tamika Thompson from the Executive Office. She basically said to be patient and it would take 45 to 60 days. I questioned why it was so long and she replied again to be patient withjout saying why.

I then said that there was no reason why it would take so long because we are in 2020 and everything is computerised. I posed a direct quetion "Is the delay because each cancellation is having to be done manually?"

She just replied "No, due to the mass cancellations nationwide, we are delayed processing all refunds."

So basically RC are purposely holding on to peoples money. Whatever happened to taking care of customers? It isnt because there is more work to do or anything like that, it is obviously just a cashflow issue and they are waiting/hoping for people to make new bookings and payments so they have money to do refunds.

Very disappointed.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gmaloon said:

So basically RC are purposely holding on to peoples money. Whatever happened to taking care of customers? It isnt because there is more work to do or anything like that, it is obviously just a cashflow issue and they are waiting/hoping for people to make new bookings and payments so they have money to do refunds.

Not exactly new news. Of course they are trying to slow down refunds. It's been posted here for months. They are doing lift and shift and whatever they can to get new bookings for cash flow. They floated new bonds last week. Of course they need cash flow right now.

Welcome to cruise credit.

I doubt anyone will purposely delay your refund. But I can tell you this - if they have a term of 120 days when they have to deliver you your refund, they can wait up to 120 days and refund you right on 120th day. Its sounds awful but its true. You need to check the terms of the refund to be on the safe side 

• Like 1

We got our six cruise planner items consisting of two dining packages and four drink packages for two cruises refunded in just over two weeks.  Still waiting on refundable deposit from our August Oasis and full payment refund from our June Adventure cruises.

We've received everything we were owed (FCCs and Refunds) from our cancelled March, April, May cruises, and our July 10 cruise. Still waiting on FCCs for two July cruises, and a September cruise. The process has definitely slowed down since March, but it is still functioning. RCL just re-opened their corporate offices in Miami this morning, so maybe things will speed up a bit.

1 hour ago, gmaloon said:

She just replied "No, due to the mass cancellations nationwide, we are delayed processing all refunds."

she did not say they were delaying processing refunds, she only said they were delayed in processing refunds (not enough staff to process them). Things may be computerized, but someone still has to push the button.

2 hours ago, gmaloon said:

I cancelled jy drinks package and specialty dining package over a month ago and still not received the refund. I called and waited over an hour on the phone and gave up.

I thenm wrote to the CEO and received a reply from Tamika Thompson from the Executive Office. She basically said to be patient and it would take 45 to 60 days. I questioned why it was so long and she replied again to be patient withjout saying why.

I then said that there was no reason why it would take so long because we are in 2020 and everything is computerised. I posed a direct quetion "Is the delay because each cancellation is having to be done manually?"

Very disappointed.

I'm pretty sure what she meant by "we are delayed" is that they are delayed due to how many cancellations, not that they are delaying them.  

Now that they are starting to return to their building, maybe things will get processed a bit faster.  We can only pray.  I am still waiting on my May cruise refund. Seeing someone get their July refund, makes me want to hurl something, but I am being patient.  Maybe it will be this week.  🙏

• Like 3

Just checked my 2 credit card accounts and we were refunded our balance from our June cruise in only 9 days.  Still waiting on the deposit from that cruise and our deposit from our August cruise that were from January  and March of 2019.

Ok so they are delayed. But when they get to your reservation,  answer me why i am getting it in piece meal. I am still owed iver $1,100 for an april b2b. And my last 4 refunds posted were $11.80,$11.80,$11.80,$17.80. Sorry but *****. This has made me hesitant to book anymore. Usually by this time i would have 2022 booked. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Plum Happy said:

Now that they are starting to return to their building, maybe things will get processed a bit faster.  We can only pray.  I am still waiting on my May cruise refund. Seeing someone get their July refund, makes me want to hurl something, but I am being patient.  Maybe it will be this week.  🙏

I got my full refund for my July 19th cruise a couple of days ago. Cruise fare, port fees, and gratuities. 

But still waiting for April, May, and June. 

2 hours ago, Plum Happy said:

I'm in the same boat (er...excuse the pun:). I check my cc every day now for my refund for my May 10th cruise that I cancelled at the end of March. I did receive an email from RC at the end of April asking for my patience and that I should hear from them again by May 6 unless I receive my refund. I haven't heard a word.....still waiting.............

I've read that many people have called RC and/or their cc company. How much longer should I wait to do this?

We got our refund, I took the future cruise credit and got the money for my WiFi package put back on my credit card.

I have since booked a new cruise for next year. My TA says it will take 3 weeks to apply the vouchers to the cruise.

I read that Royal is abandoning the cruise industry in favor of space travel.  For a variety of reasons they have invested deeply in SpaceX and needed all of our money to become a player in that industry.  There will only be a small number of passengers to satisfy.  Very controlled embarkation and disembarkation.  Meals will be prepared prior to takeoff so no kitchen staff, wait staff or cleanup.  Adult diapers will replace restroom facilities and all of the associated maintenance.  No special accommodations necessary since passengers would have to be extremely fit.  Environmentalists would no longer be an issue.  No children to have to plan activities for.  Except for departure, weather would not be an issue. 

Either that or they're just behind because of COVID-19 and being short staffed.  But I'm sure I read it...on the Internet.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, ptf2009 said:

I'm in the same boat (er...excuse the pun:). I check my cc every day now for my refund for my May 10th cruise that I cancelled at the end of March. I did receive an email from RC at the end of April asking for my patience and that I should hear from them again by May 6 unless I receive my refund. I haven't heard a word.....still waiting.............

I've read that many people have called RC and/or their cc company. How much longer should I wait to do this?

Well, if you charged it to Amex, they will at least send you a email, I received one from them with the Airline had to refund me, so I don't bother going to the Amex to see if they credit my money back.  I hope they send another email.

Yes the withholding- its systemic. They try to keep your money as long as possible. I wait for the final refund for 2 cruises since 80 days. Piece-by-piece partial refunds come in with yet some 600$ final owing. I booked only cruise fare no cruise planner items, but the refunds come, split up,  in ridiculous low figures.

If RCCL only would understand that I will only book future cruises when all money has been refunded! So no cash from us for the time being.

11 hours ago, Dat Cruisin Couple said:

We had ours refunded in a little over 3 weeks, so don't believe they systemically withholding the refunds. Just luck of the draw.

Three weeks is a very nice and short pertiod to get a refund. Only once I heard about a guy who got his refund in two days. But it felt like he demanded it right after purchase, cause there is no logical reason for the refund to fall back on his card so quickly.. In any case, I am glad you got it so fast

• Like 1

Of course they are. There is no set schedule to refund money. They are burning through cash, dealing with a ton of FCC, and they let go 26% of their staff that manage the work. They have every reason to delay like crazy. Most of my refunds took 21-45 days. My last refund was from a drink package going on 60 days now. I received a random $35 refund from it. Still waiting on the other $965. 

If you chose a refund, you knew what you were getting into. FCCs are taking a while to complete. What do you think will happen with refunds?