Nice Chase Sapphire Reserve bennie

So I noticed something strange in my Chase Sapphire Reserve statement and went to the Chase site to check it out.

Since people aren't doing much traveling, the annual $300 travel credit might have been wasted in part or completely for some folks.  But to ameliorate this, starting June 1, 2020 purchases at grocery stores and gas stations are being treated as 'travel' expenses eligible for the credit.  Which made my last trip to the grocery store free.

It isn't a HUGE deal, but it is a very nice little benefit.

Edited by Toofarfromthesea
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

So I noticed something strange in my Chase Sapphire Reserve statement and went to the Chase site to check it out.

Since people aren't doing much traveling, the annual $300 travel credit might have been wasted in part or completely for some folks.  But to ameliorate this, starting June 1, 2020 purchases at grocery stores and gas stations are being treated as 'travel' expenses eligible for the credit.  Which made my last trip to the grocery store free.

It isn't a HUGE deal, but it is a very nice little benefit.

And you're getting  5x on grocery purchases . We bought  caviar  and  that match was  very  pleasant 

I went to see how much of my $300 travel credit was left, and I had already hit it, haha.

Chase has actually been very reasonable with their bonus perks during this time. They went above and beyond what I expected. Further reaffirms my decision to never get rid of this card. My next 8 day cruise was paid for entirely by these points. Can't beat that.

1 hour ago, Joebucks said:

I went to see how much of my $300 travel credit was left, and I had already hit it, haha.

Chase has actually been very reasonable with their bonus perks during this time. They went above and beyond what I expected. Further reaffirms my decision to never get rid of this card. My next 8 day cruise was paid for entirely by these points. Can't beat that.

I feel the same way. And the AF this year got dropped back to $450. This has been our first year with CSR and we've been pleased also.

The first year after we got our Chase Sapphire Reserve my DW got seriously injured while traveling in Vietnam.  It meant we had to leave our cruise (with more then 30 days remaining) and evacuate her home.  Chase eventually sent us a check for $10,000 which covered much of our loss for trip interruption.  That care paid for itself (forever) in that first year.

Hank

• Like 1

This is the way I read these benefits:

It appears that one gets the 5 points for grocery purchases through the end of Jun.

The grocery credit against the travel perk is in effect but it appears that once  you've hit the $300 limit, 3 points will be in effect.

I would like to know if someone has a different perspective.

From the Chase website:

Benefit Overview

You can now earn 5x total points on grocery store purchases on up to $1,500 total spend per calendar month May 1 - June 30, 2020 (that's 4x points in addition to the 1x points you normally earn on grocery store purchases). You'll get the extra points even when you order online for pickup or delivery from grocery stores and eligible grocery delivery services like Instacart. No activation required - you'll earn the points automatically.

Benefit Overview

Starting June 1, 2020 through the end of this year, gas station and grocery store purchases will both earn points and also count toward earning your $300 Annual Travel Credit (as always, after your first $300 in travel purchases, you immediately begin earning 3x points on travel). See Terms & Conditions for details.

BTW, I would like to thank those who encouraged me to get the Chase Reserve Card.

On 6/10/2020 at 8:35 AM, clo said:

I feel the same way. And the AF this year got dropped back to $450. This has been our first year with CSR and we've been pleased also.

Oh, I didn't know they dropped it back down! I was debating Reserve vs Preferred late last year, and the fee increase swayed me to the Preferred card. Maybe I'll upgrade at the end of the year.

1 minute ago, coastcat said:

Oh, I didn't know they dropped it back down! I was debating Reserve vs Preferred late last year, and the fee increase swayed me to the Preferred card. Maybe I'll upgrade at the end of the year.

It's just for this year.

1 hour ago, Charles4515 said:

The Door Dash benefit has come in pretty handy for me. That was a benefit that I didn’t think I would use.....

We've never used that. I haven't looked closely (at all) but don't the restaurants have to pay to be part of it? They're struggling so much anyway that I don't want to pile on.

We've never used that. I haven't looked closely (at all) but don't the restaurants have to pay to be part of it? They're struggling so much anyway that I don't want to pile on.

Pretty much have to use a third party around here for delivery or pickup. For delivery we have to use DoorDash or UberEats. For pickup we have to use DoorDash, UberEats or Caviar. Only one of the restaurants I use takes orders over the phone. Some chain restaurants like Chipotle and Pot Belly have their own apps but I don’t order from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, clo said:

For a lot of restaurants doordash or similar delivery services are all that were/are keeping them afloat.  I think the restaurants don't  mind the 'piling on' when the alternative is no business leading up to going out of business.

For a lot of restaurants doordash or similar delivery services are all that were/are keeping them afloat.  I think the restaurants don't  mind the 'piling on' when the alternative is no business leading up to going out of business.

They have signs and some have large banners up outside saying to order on DoorDash so I think you are right that they don’t mind under current circumstances.

They have signs and some have large banners up outside saying to order on DoorDash so I think you are right that they don’t mind under current circumstances.

Many of us here are in a position where we were not severely damaged financially by the shutdown.  My wife and I still get our pensions, I still get my SS, and while the 401k took a hit, a lot of it is back already and I have every confidence the rest will come back in relatively short order.

While everybody likes to have extra money, I would suggest that people who have not been hit financially and who are worried about the fate of their favorite restaurant (or other small business) can take more direct action than not ordering through doordash, they could just give them some of their pandemic relief money.  The purpose of the money was relief, and if you don't need the relief, passing it on to those who DO need it just seems like a good thing to do.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

they could just give them some of their pandemic relief money. 

We gave the full amount to our local food bank in addition to the monthly donation we've been making to them. Also made a donation to an organization that is/was providing restaurant-quality meal to people in the industry. And when we've picked up food from them we've given generous tips. We're lucky that there's hardly any place in Reno that's more than a 20 minute drive so no need for us to have delivery.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 6/11/2020 at 10:24 PM, Charles4515 said:

The Door Dash benefit has come in pretty handy for me. That was a benefit that I didn’t think I would use.....

I renewed my Global Entry with the card yesterday.

Just a polite warning to be patient about Global Entry renewals.  Ours took over 9 months (but they took our money very quickly) but we lucked out and did not need to get a new interview or photo.

Hank

8 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Just a polite warning to be patient about Global Entry renewals.  Ours took over 9 months (but they took our money very quickly) but we lucked out and did not need to get a new interview or photo.

Hank

I really lucked out. Not only did not I not need an interview, my renewal last June only took a few weeks. 

I really lucked out. Not only did not I not need an interview, my renewal last June only took a few weeks. 

Ours got caught-up in the COVID government "no work for lots of pay" mess.  We submitted our renewal around May 1, 2020 and expected it to be handled within a few days/weeks as usual.  By Jan I started getting concerned but there is no way to contact CBP about the process so just waited.  Meanwhile CBP did extend the old expiration date by one year admitting they were way behind in processing.  Finally in March we were notified that they had approved the renewal.  One mystery about the long processing times was that during 2021, International travel was just about at a halt and the CBP staff probably had a diminished work load (all those folks working in airports and ports had little to do).  But I guess not having any travelers to process has nothing to do with other tasks.

Hank

11 hours ago, cdaloia said:

Does chase reserve cover cruise insurance? 

It does include some insurance but it is wise to read the details of their latest benefits to see all the fine print.  The card provides primary damage waiver coverage for rental cars, and also has a trip interruption/cancelation policy (which is for listed causes) as well as trip evacuation coverage (also with lots of limitations).  For folks that like to buy cancel for any reason protection the card is not a substitute.  

Hank

Just enjoyed another nice Bennie of the Chase card.  Booked $1,100 first class ticket for less than $750 worth of points (75,000 points) by using their portal to book the tickets.  I've never paid for first class, but now with the Chase points and their 150% portal it's the only way I go now.

5 hours ago, Toofarfromthesea said:

Just enjoyed another nice Bennie of the Chase card.  Booked $1,100 first class ticket for less than $750 worth of points (75,000 points) by using their portal to book the tickets.  I've never paid for first class, but now with the Chase points and their 150% portal it's the only way I go now.

Sometimes, not always, you get even more for your points if you transfer them to a partner program. This tends to be more a value on the higher-priced fares than the lower-priced ones.