Flying Private or Charter Flights?

• Members

Hi all - 

I'm currently working on a story for Cruise Critic about the private and charter air programs that the different luxury cruise lines have -- and whether these will become more popular in the post-COVID-19 world. Would you be more likely to splurge on private or charter air, once cruising resumes? Let me know your thoughts. 

27 minutes ago, Cruise Critic Chris said:

private and charter air programs that the different luxury cruise lines have -- and whether these will become more popular in the post-COVID-19 world. Would you be more likely to splurge on private or charter air, once cruising resumes? Let me know your thoughts. 

I actually work in the private aviation space and demand and bookings have surged wildly starting back around the middle of April. The biggest segment driving it is not those who have flown privately in the past (who's demand remained steady), but people who, while they could have afforded it previously, never saw it as a necessity or a wise way to spend money. The mentality of those people now is "if I can afford to fly privately, why would I want to be near strangers on a commercial flight or in an airport setting?"

I would imagine that the handful of cruise lines that have private air programs will see a bit of a lift in the next few years. But the biggest thing to consider is the decision process that is driving wealthier travelers away from commercial airlines and to private jets is the same mentality that will keep them away from ships and push them to high end resorts where the chance of virus transmission is much lower. 

What lines offer those types of flights?

I am sure even if the cruise line did not offer  a private  flight  if you have the  money you can just hire a private jet

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

What lines offer those types of flights?

Most of the luxury lines-- Seabourn has a dedicated and branded program, Crystal actually owns its own 777 it uses for "air cruises" in addition to some smaller planes that are more traditional point to point services, Regent outsources it to a third party provider but does offer it as a service. 

1 hour ago, princeton123211 said:

Most of the luxury lines-- Seabourn has a dedicated and branded program, Crystal actually owns its own 777 it uses for "air cruises" in addition to some smaller planes that are more traditional point to point services, Regent outsources it to a third party provider but does offer it as a service. 

Thanks  I know Crystal  was advertising the service

Well will not have to worry  as we do not sail those lines

Crystal one & done 🤐

Maybe when I win  the Lotto I will fly a private jet to my private yacht  until then I will have to stick to the BUS/1st class part of the plane  LOL

• Haha 1