Would you quarantine to do a cruise?

ilikeanswers

How do you feel if the cruise you have booked finally goes ahead but to get to the start of your cruise if it is in another country or after completing your cruise your home country requires you to quarantine for 14 days? Would you still go ahead with the cruise or would that be the last straw and you would cancel? 

22 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

How do you feel if the cruise you have booked finally goes ahead but to get to the start of your cruise if it is in another country or after completing your cruise your home country requires you to quarantine for 14 days? Would you still go ahead with the cruise or would that be the last straw and you would cancel? 

When you consider the number of people with such limited vacation time that many insist that flying in a day early “is not an option”,  any two week quarantine, either side of a cruise, would be largely unacceptable.   And who, even with a lot of free time, would want to spend two weeks holed up in Rome or Barcelona, for example, without getting out and about?

• Like 1

If quarantine is needed, then it is a sign that non-essential travel should not happen, so either that port should be cancelled, or the cruise itself should be cancelled.

If the cruise line still expects me to cruise with a quarantine, I would (a) cancel, and (b) tell the line to remove me from their mailing list.

No. I work and my vacation time is valuable to me. There's no way I would spend two weeks of it quarantining on the front or the back of a trip. We are hoping to do a land trip next year involving 3 countries. 2 are currently closed to tourists and 1 allows tourists, but when you land you have to get tested for covid and if you test positive you have to quarantine for 2 weeks. They may as well just stay closed to tourists. There's no way I'm quarantining for 2 weeks in the middle of a vacation, in what is largely still a third world country. At this point we are still hoping to go but have decided not to book until these restrictions are gone. If that means not going then so be it.

Edited by sanger727

Regardless of the length of cruise, we consider a pre-cruise quarantine overly onerous, preferring a test with short delay for results. Must be negative to get aboard. Although not foolproof, it's a better risk control than pre-cruise quarantine, or doing nothing.

Returning home, yes we will complete a self-quarantine plan and adhere to it, just as we did when returning in April. It really wasn't overly onerous. Our Province now has most businesses re-opened and with no new deaths in 5 days, < 10 new cases per day and hospitalisations reducing, so we will follow guidelines to maintain these trends. We anticipate progressing to phase 3 within days, which is the final phase unless they develop a vaccine/cure.

If we have visited other countries/states/provinces, with worse stats by population, or travelled with others from those areas, we will do our part to ensure our Province doesn't regress and revert to lock-down again.

We have no desire to stop travelling and as COVID is probably not going away, we will follow our Chief Health Officer's recommendations, to enhance our safety when travelling and ensure the safety of our family and friends upon return.

• Like 2

Let assume you have to get to a port and then self quarantine for 14 days at your own expense.  Then towards the end of your cruise somebody on the ship develops COVID-19 so the entire ship is quarantines another 2 weeks (when you must stay in your cabin).  And then when they finally find a port that is willing to accept the ship (which could be half way around the world) that port insists that everyone be quarantined for another 2 weeks before they are allowed to use commercial transportation.  Do you see where this is going?  

Hank

• Thanks 1

I believe the two week quarantine in the countries with the large protests/riots is ludicrous.    If we don’t have a large uptick in COVID 19 cases after the demonstrations I would say the COVID 19 emergency is over.   Of course, the frail and those with pre existing conditions should avoid leaving their residences.   The rest of the population should be allowed to travel.  If a test before boarding is required all the better.

• Like 1

No way!!

i wouldn’t have enough leave to cover 4 weeks instead of 2 because of the quarantine, and no employer is going to allow you to have it buckshee!

if they enforce a quarantine, my holidays are over

Currently my wife would not be able to go back to her office for two weeks if she travels out of the country but she can work remotely and would get paid. We are scheduled to cruise at end of November but who knows.

Like just about everyone else I wouldn't want that kind of quarantine restriction to go on a cruise.  What I don't quite understand is the concept of quarantining at home after a cruise   By the time someone gets home from their entry point, isn't it too late.  I mean, traveling from the airport or terminal would likely expose others before the home quarantine even starts.   I guess it is better than nothing, or more likely Im just not understanding the concept.  

18 minutes ago, ldubs said:

Like just about everyone else I wouldn't want that kind of quarantine restriction to go on a cruise.  What I don't quite understand is the concept of quarantining at home after a cruise   By the time someone gets home from their entry point, isn't it too late.  I mean, traveling from the airport or terminal would likely expose others before the home quarantine even starts.   I guess it is better than nothing, or more likely Im just not understanding the concept.  

Good point. Once we arrive in the US from a trip, we have to transit two airports to get home.

On 6/11/2020 at 3:02 AM, ilikeanswers said:

I like my home and have no problem staying at home for a couple of weeks so if the quarantine could be at home the answer is yes, I would go ahead with the cruise. 

Edited by sverigecruiser

57 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I like my home and have no problem staying at home for a couple of weeks so if the quarantine could be at home the answer is yes, I would go ahead with the cruise. 

What about if you are required to quarantine upon entry to the country your cruise starts from? 

43 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

That was not the question I answered.

Sorry, it is just you quoted my whole original post so I assumed you were going to answer both parts of the question. There is nothing wrong with answering only one part but if you are going to quote me at least edit it to exactly what you are responding to otherwise as you can see I get confused😜

Edited by ilikeanswers

10 hours ago, ldubs said:

The self-quarantine at home is to limit your exposure to others, but it may not completely eliminate potential exposure. The effectiveness is also contingent on local standards for self-quarantine. We travelled home with 8 other Canadians from Ontario and Saskatchewan. The 6 others only had to self-quarantine for 14-days, with no definitive standard, but in BC, we had to complete the following.

When we returned to Vancouver in April, our BC Govt required submission of a self-quarantine plan that outlined:

• How we would get directly home without using public transit, or making any stops
  • Describe our living arrangements and how we could self isolate
  • Plan to get food/supplies
  • Did we require medications and if yes, how we would acquire
  • Did we require medical visits and if yes, what was the plan
  • Exercise, pets, etc

As this was a Provincial requirement, they set up in the airport, immediately after Customs & Immigration. Before departure from the ship, we had to complete an online form and at the Provincial Desk, submit our written Quarantine Plan. If you didn't have one, or it was deemed unsuitable, you were not provided the self-quarantine option, but taken from the airport to complete Govt mandated quarantine.

During the 2-weeks we received a number of follow up phone calls to confirm we had no symptoms and if we required any assistance. Those that didn't answer the phone received a visit from the RCMP.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ilikeanswers said:

Sorry, it is just you quoted my whole original post so I assumed you were going to answer both parts of the question. There is nothing wrong with answering only one part but if you are going to quote me at least edit it to exactly what you are responding to otherwise as you can see I get confused😜

That was my mistake. When I answered I only thought about the part of your question I answered, not the other part.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

The self-quarantine at home is to limit your exposure to others, but it may not completely eliminate potential exposure. The effectiveness is also contingent on local standards for self-quarantine. We travelled home with 8 other Canadians from Ontario and Saskatchewan. The 6 others only had to self-quarantine for 14-days, with no definitive standard, but in BC, we had to complete the following.

When we returned to Vancouver in April, our BC Govt required submission of a self-quarantine plan that outlined:

• How we would get directly home without using public transit, or making any stops
  • Exercise, pets, etc

As this was a Provincial requirement, they set up in the airport, immediately after Customs & Immigration. Before departure from the ship, we had to complete an online form and at the Provincial Desk, submit our written Quarantine Plan. If you didn't have one, or it was deemed unsuitable, you were not provided the self-quarantine option, but taken from the airport to complete Govt mandated quarantine.

During the 2-weeks we received a number of follow up phone calls to confirm we had no symptoms and if we required any assistance. Those that didn't answer the phone received a visit from the RCMP.

Your province sure sounds serious about this.

I know I have missed phone calls because I was in the bathroom at the time. I wonder if the RCMP would accept that as an excuse.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

• Exercise, pets, etc

Thanks.  That is very thorough.   

• Like 1