Cruise Critic Community
saminina

Serenity October MIA schedule

49 minutes ago, saminina said:

I am not sure exactly why, but I just confirmed with one person who paid the final payment last week for the October 1 cruise “because my TA told me it was due.”  I have no idea what happened, but it is unfortunate that this happened.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I am not sure exactly why, but I just confirmed with one person who paid the final payment last week for the October 1 cruise “because my TA told me it was due.”  I have no idea what happened, but it is unfortunate that this happened.

I’m really hoping that this was an extremely isolated case, that an overwhelming majority of those booked the October cruise owes Crystal only $100/person.  

Edited by Psoque

6 minutes ago, Psoque said:

My travel agent has always asked for my final payment from 7 to 10 days before Crystal's "drop dead date". I'm sure this was in order to cover any unforeseen events. In the past I would have authorized my TA to give Crystal my credit card info on that date, because, why not? I can't see making an authorization before maybe the day before drop dead date these days! 🙄

Patty

13 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I’m really hoping that this was an extremely isolated case, that an overwhelming majority of those booked the October cruise owes Crystal only $100/person.  

An isolated case...again..this is straight from crystal’s website:

CRYSTAL OCEAN, RIVER & YACHT CRUISES

Effective June 8, 2020, Final Payment for 2020 Ocean existing and new bookings is 60 days prior to first date of service for voyages regardless of length. 

NUFF SAID!!!!!!

Nancy

24 minutes ago, Psoque said:

Well sounds like the TA was wrong.  As Nancy said it's 60 days before and this was the press release when those voyages were announced.  So the person didn't have to pay in full until I believe August 2.  

Excerpt from the Crystal Press Release and the full release follows it.

It reads "Crystal Clear" to me.

Cruise fares for the new voyages begin at just $1,399 per guest; travelers with Future Cruise Credits may redeem them on these voyages.

Added peace of mind for guests looking forward to traveling again comes in part from programs like Crystal Confidence, which offers reduced deposits of just $100 for Ocean voyages; relaxed 60-day prior to first service final payment;  and adjusted cancellation policy allowing guests to cancel up to seven days prior to sailing and receive 100 percent Future Cruise Credit, valid through 2022. Guests booking Crystal’s new fall 2020 Caribbean sailings will have an additional layer of voyage protection with the new Crystal Voyage Assurance program extended to these new Crystal Serenity voyages, which allows travelers to cancel their cruise for a full refund within seven days if there is a significant itinerary change – including the embarkation or disembarkation ports and/or changes to 30 percent or more of their selected itinerary – due to global travel restrictions. 

=========================================================================================================

MIAMI, June 11, 2020 – Travelers seeking warm island escapes this fall have brand new options aboard Crystal Serenity, as Crystal Cruises announces seven-night Sunkissed Chic and Tropical Interlude Caribbean voyages for October and November. Sailing between Miami and San Juan, the itineraries can be combined for an extended 14-night Caribbean vacation, round-trip from Miami without repeating ports. The new voyages offer an enticing new Simply the Best program, which includes the best stateroom or suite available at the time of booking; reduced deposit of just $100 per guest; low Solo Fares from 125 percent; $250 As You Wish shipboard credit per stateroom or suite (based on double occupancy); and 10 percent cruise fare savings when guests choose the combined 14-night itinerary. Travel advisors can also earn $100 bonus commission for each booking on any of the six new sailings.

“Our new Caribbean itineraries offer guests a warm return to luxury travel, with exceptional value on the acclaimed Crystal Experience,” said Carmen Roig, Crystal’s senior vice president of marketing and sales. “The compelling value and competitive pricing, combined with convenient air travel between Miami and San Juan and Crystal’s signature all-inclusive amenities and experiences and personalized service, adds up to a wonderful opportunity for travel advisors to introduce Crystal to travelers who may not have previously considered a luxury voyage, as well as entice their existing Crystal clients who are eager to begin traveling again.”

Crystal Serenity’s new Caribbean itineraries include:

Sunkissed Chic, Miami to San Juan, embarking October 1, October 15 and October 29: calling in Cruz Bay, St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands (maiden call); St. John’s, Antigua; Gustavia, St. Barts (overnight); and Phillipsburg, St. Maarten.

Tropical Interlude, San Juan to Miami, embarking October 8, October 22 and November 5: calling in Ocho Rios, Jamaica; George Town, Grand Cayman; and Costa Maya, Mexico. 

Cruise fares for the new voyages begin at just $1,399 per guest; travelers with Future Cruise Credits may redeem them on these voyages.

Added peace of mind for guests looking forward to traveling again comes in part from programs like Crystal Confidence, which offers reduced deposits of just $100 for Ocean voyages; relaxed 60-day prior to first service final payment;  and adjusted cancellation policy allowing guests to cancel up to seven days prior to sailing and receive 100 percent Future Cruise Credit, valid through 2022. Guests booking Crystal’s new fall 2020 Caribbean sailings will have an additional layer of voyage protection with the new Crystal Voyage Assurance program extended to these new Crystal Serenity voyages, which allows travelers to cancel their cruise for a full refund within seven days if there is a significant itinerary change – including the embarkation or disembarkation ports and/or changes to 30 percent or more of their selected itinerary – due to global travel restrictions. 

A leader in unparalleled luxury cruising for 30 years, Crystal Cruises distinguishes its ships and its voyages with fine details and nuances that make a big impact for discerning travelers. All-inclusive entertainment; diverse enrichment options; globally-inspired dining, including Nobu Matsuhisa’s only seagoing restaurants; unlimited pours of fine wines, beers and premium spirits and an unwavering standard of genuine, personal service for each guest underscores the Crystal difference. 

By deliberate design, Crystal Serenity has always carried far fewer guests than ships of similar size – featuring one of the highest space ratios in luxury cruising – and her social spaciousness will be further increased with a commitment to lower guest capacity when she resumes sailing this fall.  In addition, while the fleet is paused, the Crystal team is developing new procedures and policies that will support all public health and regulatory requirements and ensure that guests’ vacations continue to be not only relaxing and pleasurable but safe and healthy. Details of these new measures and initiatives will be announced soon. 

The inherent design of Crystal ships maximizes personal and public space, offering plenty of options for those who choose to keep a healthy distance during their voyage. All Crystal ships across the fleet including Ocean, River, Yacht and Expedition offer nearly double the space per person than ships of a similar size, which is among the highest space ratios in the industry and their social spaciousness will be further augmented through the new measures we will be implementing. Further, Crystal Endeavor and Crystal’s River ships are all-suite and all-balcony and most staterooms on Ocean ships Crystal Symphony and Crystal Serenity feature private verandas for fresh airflow. 

The safety of guests and crew members is Crystal’s number one priority and the fleet will resume service only when the company’s expert team and global health and government authorities indicate that it is safe to do so. 

About Crystal 

Only the world-renowned Crystal Experience offers an unwavering, unparalleled standard of excellence and luxury across four distinct cruising options: Crystal Cruises, the World’s Most Awarded Luxury Cruise Line; Crystal River Cruises, the World’s Most Luxurious River Cruise Line; Crystal Yacht Cruises, offering boutique luxury and bold adventure in the world’s most elite harbors; and Crystal Expedition Cruises, taking Crystal’s acclaimed elegance to the farthest reaches of the world. Crystal has been recognized with top honors in the Condé Nast TravelerReaders’ Choice Awards for a record 26 years including, in 2019, for Best Medium-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Cruises, Best Small-Ship Cruise Line for Crystal Yacht Cruises and Best River Cruise Line for Crystal River Cruises. Crystal was also voted “World’s Best” by the readers of Travel + Leisure for 23 years; and won “Cruise Line of the Year” and “Most Luxurious Guest Experience” by Virtuoso for 2018 & 2019. Crystal is proud to be a platinum partner of the advisors of ASTA. 

For more information and Crystal reservations, contact a travel advisor, call 888.799.2437, or visit www.crystalcruises.com. Join the hundreds of thousands who subscribe to the Crystal Insider blog, follow Crystal Cruises’ Facebook page; @crystalcruises on Twitter and Instagram; @crystalrivercruises on Instagram; and engage in the conversation with #crystalcruises, #crystalrivercruises and #WhereLuxuryisPersonal.

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Psoque said:

It seems that the final payments were due last week for some of the earlier October sailing(s).  It is regrettable that Crystal did not cancel these October Serenity cruises much earlier than yesterday.

Not true, although I did see the post at the other media site that evidently misled you. That having been said, this and your previous post, actually all of your recent posts, are so negative towards Crystal, I suspect some people here at CC skip over your posts without even reading them. Of course I could be wrong.

Editing now after seeing that I was not the first to comment on this, happy to see. 

Edited by May B

1 hour ago, Texas Tillie said:

My travel agent has always asked for my final payment from 7 to 10 days before Crystal's "drop dead date". I'm sure this was in order to cover any unforeseen events. In the past I would have authorized my TA to give Crystal my credit card info on that date, because, why not? I can't see making an authorization before maybe the day before drop dead date these days! 🙄

Patty

It’s common practice for most TA invoices to list a final payment date a week or two before the cruise line’s date. All for wiggle room, as Patty said.

So in essence, everyone’s correct in this back-and-forth! Because there’s usually two different final payment dates at play (assuming you’re booked with a TA). 

And like Patty, I, too, would have initiated a one-time understanding with my TA to not call in my payment to Crystal until Aug 2 if I was booked on the Oct 1 sailing. 

Just now, BEAV said:

It’s common practice for most TA invoices to list a final payment date a week or two before the cruise line’s date. All for wiggle room, as Patty said.

So in essence, everyone’s correct in this back-and-forth! Because there’s usually two different final payment dates at play (assuming you’re booked with a TA). 

And like Patty, I, too, would have initiated a one-time understanding with my TA to not call in my payment to Crystal until Aug 2 if I was booked on the Oct 1 sailing. 

Actually, I think Patty said she likes to have the payment charged the day before final is due. This way if it doesn’t go through, you get an advanced day of warning to make alternate arrangements.

I do expect that most cruisers see their invoice directly from Crystal, which clearly states the final due date. 

2 minutes ago, May B said:

Actually, I think Patty said she likes to have the payment charged the day before final is due. This way if it doesn’t go through, you get an advanced day of warning to make alternate arrangements.

I do expect that most cruisers see their invoice directly from Crystal, which clearly states the final due date. 

You and I may have understood Patty’s post differently. Her words “these days” caused me to interpret the current scenario as her way of waiting until the midnight hour given the fact that it was very likely Crystal would be cancelling the Oct 1 sailing. In a normal environment (anyone remember that!), maybe we’d be more willing not to wait till the cruise line’s drop dead date. I know we usually paid on or a little before the TA invoice final payment date. 

We typically received invoices from both the cruise line and TA, noting the two different final payment dates. We understood the reasoning behind the TA date being a week or two earlier than the cruise line’s date. 

44 minutes ago, BEAV said:

Because there’s usually two different final payment dates at play

If you are referring to the early final payment for a discount, I don't think that was in play for the fall Serenity cruises.  They were added after what would have been the date for that.

What happens if you miss the final payment date without cancelling?  Are you then in the 25% penalty, or would Crystal just cancel your booking for you with just the admin penalty?

5 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

If you are referring to the early final payment for a discount, I don't think that was in play for the fall Serenity cruises.  They were added after what would have been the date for that.

No, I was referring to the cruise line’s final payment often being a week or two later than the TA’s date. 

26 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

What happens if you miss the final payment date without cancelling?  Are you then in the 25% penalty, or would Crystal just cancel your booking for you with just the admin penalty?

25% penalty.  Crystal will invoice and bill your credit card used for the $100 deposit.

This is just like hotel reservations, after the cancellation deadline, if you didn’t do anything, they will bill/charge you.

1 hour ago, May B said:

Muriel,

Perhaps I wasn't clear; in the past I would pay on the travel agent's due date, because, there was no reason to wait a week or so. These days, no way Jose!

Patty

On the contrary, I wish I HAD made final payment on my October 1st round-trip, because then I'd have received an extra 25% credit towards a future Crystal cruise. Like the October 29th and November 5th sailings!

As an FYI, my practice, and that of our agency, is to schedule the final payment date a week prior to the line's final payment date. We do this because if a payment is not made by the due date, most lines will auto-cancel the reservation at close of business on the due date. Since many bookings are made months, to a year or more in advance, you don't want to find out on the line's drop dead date that the credit card is no longer valid for any of a list of reasons. Personally I send out an e-mail a week prior to the "week prior" date to remind my clients, and I instruct our consultants to do the same.

I hate to be the bearer of potentially bad tidings for those booked on the later October and November/December sailings, but we received notice today that Princess is suspending sailings until Dec 15/20 and I expect they will not be the only ones to do so! 

1 hour ago, CoffeeBoy said:

On the contrary, I wish I HAD made final payment on my October 1st round-trip, because then I'd have received an extra 25% credit towards a future Crystal cruise. Like the October 29th and November 5th sailings!

Well, this all depends on when you will be able to take a Crystal cruise again, as well how much do you value cash in your hand vs. credit with Crystal.

13 minutes ago, Roland4 said:

As an FYI, my practice, and that of our agency, is to schedule the final payment date a week prior to the line's final payment date. We do this because if a payment is not made by the due date, most lines will auto-cancel the reservation at close of business on the due date.

Well, here's my wrinkle on all of this.  I look at the payment due date (clearly listed on my Crystal invoice) and then back it up to the day after the CC I'm putting the cruise on last closed.  That way I (usually) have plenty of slack for a fu-fu on the transaction, and I've getting all the float I can from the CC company.  Because, if you've used a CC to pay for your cruise, approximately 30 days from that close date is when your real (cash) final payment comes due.   

Posted (edited)
14 minutes ago, KenzSailing said:

Well, here's my wrinkle on all of this.  I look at the payment due date (clearly listed on my Crystal invoice) and then back it up to the day after the CC I'm putting the cruise on last closed.  That way I (usually) have plenty of slack for a fu-fu on the transaction, and I've getting all the float I can from the CC company.  Because, if you've used a CC to pay for your cruise, approximately 30 days from that close date is when your real (cash) final payment comes due.   

i always do the same.  i have never paid a final payment on the 8 Crystal cruises I have been on when it was due.  My TA never even got a reminder email from Crystal.

I have been on about 100 cruises and have never ever ever had a cruise auto cancel.  

Edited by cruisr

1 hour ago, CoffeeBoy said:

Not sure if you are being sarcastic or not.  The October and November sailings will not happen.  Don’t remember, and not bothering to look, but Puerto Rico and the Bahamas are not excepting Americans.  I know the cruises start/end in PR and can’t remember if they stop in Nassau or other Bahama ports.

I just cancelled my January 2021 cruise

That's not happening either.  I cannot foresee how Crystal can make it work.

Princess just cancelled all cruises through Dec 15.

Let's get real

Until there is a vaccine that is proven to work and widely available, cruising will not be safe for passengers or crew

Add to that the fact that most of the Crystal demographic is high risk, why would anyone take the chance?

1 minute ago, bitob said:

I just cancelled my January 2021 cruise

That's not happening either.  I cannot foresee how Crystal can make it work.

Princess just cancelled all cruises through Dec 15.

Let's get real

Thanks bitob for stating the obvious. This isn’t being negative at all; this is being real.  There’s not going to be any cruising any time soon. “Crystal Clean” isn’t the issue here. It’s all about passengers and crew from all over the planet - and port employees checking you in - and dock workers loading food - and full airplanes to get there  - and excursion buses at destinations - and elbow-to-elbow in the Avenue Saloon. One infection and a cruise is toast.  No wishful thinking or head in the sand will make that go away.  It’s just not going to happen.  I’m pulling my 1992 Winnebago out of the storage unit!  Ha! 😀

2 hours ago, cruisr said:

I have been on about 100 cruises and have never ever ever had a cruise auto cancel.  

And as long as you follow the protocol outlined you never will. But I can tell you that many lines will auto-cancel if the final payment is not made on time, and will keep the deposit as a cancellation penalty.Sadly, a couple of my newbie consultants over the years have found this out the hard way!!

Sometimes final payments fall on the weekend, and reservation centers are closed. Crystal closes at 6pm Eastern on Saturdays and all day Sunday. For us internet-savvy folks that's not a problem, but their target market includes some that....aren't internet savvy.

12 hours ago, Roland4 said:

And as long as you follow the protocol outlined you never will. But I can tell you that many lines will auto-cancel if the final payment is not made on time, and will keep the deposit as a cancellation penalty.Sadly, a couple of my newbie consultants over the years have found this out the hard way!!

I don't pay on time and I have never had a cruise auto cancelled and I do not follow the protocol outlined of paying when it is due. I want the float and wait till my statement cuts to pay.