Cruise Critic Community
saminina

Serenity October MIA schedule

On 7/22/2020 at 5:01 PM, Texas Tillie said:

Muriel,

Perhaps I wasn't clear; in the past I would pay on the travel agent's due date, because, there was no reason to wait a week or so. These days, no way Jose!

Patty

I see my misunderstanding now: I flunked reading comprehension!

Beav passed with flying colors. 😃

49 minutes ago, May B said:

I see my misunderstanding now: I flunked reading comprehension!

Beav passed with flying colors. 😃

Don't worry, you're still pretty darn good a trivia! 😊

Patty

October 29 now showing “Call for Availability “.

2 hours ago, TER777 said:

October 29 now showing “Call for Availability “.

Hi, 

Thanks, I am booked on this cruise. It looks like this cruise will be cancelled soon.

Chuck 

6 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Thanks, I am booked on this cruise. It looks like this cruise will be cancelled soon.

Chuck 

Apparently it is sold out. 

4 minutes ago, TER777 said:

That's interesting...  Any word on what they capped capacity for that sailing at?

Vince

18 minutes ago, TER777 said:

Doubtful.  All the October dates had really good availability except for the first one.The sailing immediately after is wide open  C3 to A1.  
Where did you get the info it was sold out?

A friend who is booked on the cruise was told so by his contact at Crystal. But I don’t know how he phrased the question so perhaps the person answering was just reflecting the no availability statement on the website. 

1 hour ago, cruisr said:

Doubtful.  All the October dates had really good availability except for the first one.The sailing immediately after is wide open  C3 to A1.  
Where did you get the info it was sold out?

Hi, 

Do you honestly think the October 29 will actually take place? I am booked on this cruise, but I am predicting that it will be cancelled very soon. 

Chuck

Hi, 

The Crystal website currently indicates "call for availability" for the October Caribbean cruises that have been cancelled. It also indicates "call for availability" for the October 29 cruise. Hopefully I am wrong, but I think the change to "call for availability" for the October 29 cruise may indicate that they are in the process of cancelling this cruise. 

Chuck

3 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

The Crystal website currently indicates "call for availability" for the October Caribbean cruises that have been cancelled. It also indicates "call for availability" for the October 29 cruise. Hopefully I am wrong, but I think the change to "call for availability" for the October 29 cruise may indicate that they are in the process of cancelling this cruise. 

Chuck

Trust your instinct in this instance.  It's as good as cancelled.  Lol on the "sold out" post.  Maybe if they gave the cruise away for free, then they have a sold out cruise.  

7 hours ago, seacruise9 said:

Hi, 

Chuck

Odds are good that it will be cancelled particularly if the trend continues with respect to COVID-19 in the USA.

Keith

Posted (edited)

I don't think ( as I've been saying since April when I cancelled my sept cruise) that there will  be any cruises this year😢 I have posted several times on negative Nelly's thread about this subject... Believe me I love cruising as you all do but it's not going to happen ( could be wrong of course) ....  Here's to 2021 🚢

Not negative just perhaps more realistic 

Edited by Lvshack
Incorrect message

Not that I think there is much chance of the 10/29 sailing operating (or any chance at all), but the one thing I'd add is that we can't use the cabin availability displays (on any system) of how close to capacity a sailing is -- we simply don't know what the new capacity thresholds are.  Although the statutory requirements are a lot higher, the restaurant I'm having lunch at today and the restaurant I had lunch at Thursday both are operating at about 1/3 capacity right now because of other constraints.  I wouldn't be surprised if Crystal's first sailings operate at a cap that's shockingly low (whenever those sail).

Vince

Posted (edited)

Maybe they instituted a "no-brainer" approach in social distancing on all future cruises like this restaurant did by recruiting these "people" to take up space.

Dining with dummies? Renowned Virginia restaurant adds mannequins

Edited by Psoque

5 hours ago, flyingshoes said:

The October 29 is for sale again.

C3-B1 only. The following segment has C3-A1 available.

12 hours ago, Lvshack said:

I don't think ( as I've been saying since April when I cancelled my sept cruise) that there will  be any cruises this year😢 I have posted several times on negative Nelly's thread about this subject... Believe me I love cruising as you all do but it's not going to happen ( could be wrong of course) ....  Here's to 2021 🚢

Not negative just perhaps more realistic 

More realistic than whom? You can be an optimist that understands the risks and is realistic about the possibilities as well as a pessimist who is also realistic, so I do not understand you comment that you are more realistic. 

24 minutes ago, Jimmycruiser said:

More realistic than whom? You can be an optimist that understands the risks and is realistic about the possibilities as well as a pessimist who is also realistic, so I do not understand you comment that you are more realistic. 

I think the term "realistic" is relative to our own perceptions of reality.  Personally, when Crystal announced the Oct/Nov 2020 Caribbean cruises on Serenity, I was very sure that they will not sail, unless some crazy miracle was to occur in the meantime.  The number o new cases in Florida were already double to triple of the "plateau" since the first peak in April by the time these itineraries were announced.

For me, it was completely realistic to assume that these Oct/Nov cruises were, at best, wishful thinking on part of Crystal and those who booked them.  However, I'm assuming that some others were a lot more hopeful that somehow, the outbreak will clear itself, weeks in advance of the cruise, for their bookings to materialize.  I personally thought that "wish" was not necessarily based on our best estimates, including the statistical models at that time, which actually UNDERestimated what is happening now.

32 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I think the term "realistic" is relative to our own perceptions of reality.  Personally, when Crystal announced the Oct/Nov 2020 Caribbean cruises on Serenity, I was very sure that they will not sail, unless some crazy miracle was to occur in the meantime.  The number o new cases in Florida were already double to triple of the "plateau" since the first peak in April by the time these itineraries were announced.

For me, it was completely realistic to assume that these Oct/Nov cruises were, at best, wishful thinking on part of Crystal and those who booked them.  However, I'm assuming that some others were a lot more hopeful that somehow, the outbreak will clear itself, weeks in advance of the cruise, for their bookings to materialize.  I personally thought that "wish" was not necessarily based on our best estimates, including the statistical models at that time, which actually UNDERestimated what is happening now.

I am not questioning your or anyone else perception of reality. Predicting the future is anyone’s guess no matter how strongly they feel. I was only commenting on a posters comment that they were being MORE realistic than those that were hopeful or positive or at least that was my interpretation. You can be an optimist or pessimist and still be a realist recognizing that the future is full of uncertainties and the probability of cruising this year is very doubtful, but what is wrong with still being hopeful especially if you are not risking much?

54 minutes ago, Psoque said:

I'm sorry that I'm causing Jimmycruiser  to now be in debate with you on your reply when he was questioning my post, I hope this doesn't get out of hand !! I meant no harm in my thoughts 😞

12 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

I'm sorry that I'm causing Jimmycruiser  to now be in debate with you on your reply when he was questioning my post, I hope this doesn't get out of hand !! I meant no harm in my thoughts 😞

No harm Taken. I apologize if you did not mean you were Really being more realistic than others. I have a lot of respect for Psoque medical input and had he not commented On my post I would have left it alone. 

The optimist believes the glass is half full.

The pessimist believes the glass is half empty.

The engineer believes the glass is twice as big as needed.

The philosopher believes the glass can be refilled again.

While the four of them are arguing, the pragmatist grabs the glass and drinks it.

I feel I've heard this story before.

Many who booked the cruises understood that they were not 100% certain.

However, the booking involved very little money down and if the cruise happened a wonderful opportunity to set foot on Crystal again on either one short cruise or to create a somewhat longer cruise with two or more back to back cruises.

They also understood the different characteristics of shorter cruises and October was still part of Hurricane season.

There was very little risk and should the cruises sail a nice opportunity.

Also, isn't it nice for people to have the opportunity to plan travel again.  Whether or not it actually happened did provide a ray of sunshine and the opportunity to think about things they enjoy other than the day-to-day issues of COVID-19.

It also provided a glimmer of hope for the members of the Crystal Crew and for the industry and would allow Crystal to try out its new procedures and protocols.

I've learned in life that no one is a know it all even when it comes to medicine.  Even experts who I truly respect continue to learn new things about this virus each and every day.

The good news is those people who post here, on the Crystal Society Family Face Book Board and many people who I know who do not post whose cruises were cancelled were happy to have booked them, understood they might not happen and were glad they booked them and would do it again.  Nothing in life is certain including this virus.

As we move forward there will be other cruises out there.  Which ones happen, when do they happen, do the itineraries get modified, when they happen do protocols get revised, is anyone's guess but we do have to have hope and look forward to the future.  

You can be both a realist and look at things positively with a glass is half full approach.  I think that is the way to live ones life.

Let's hope we arrive to the point where it is safe for cruises to begin.  When that happens is anyone's guess but let's hope it does happen.

Cheers,

Keith

Posted (edited)

Hi Keith, 

This is an excellent post. I booked the October 29 cruise from Miami on June 12. At the time, I realized that the cruise was very uncertain, but I decided that it was worth the gamble and the deposit was only $100. Because the Crystal Serenity is a spacious ship with a relatively low passenger capacity, I decided that it had a higher probability of returning to service than one of the huge ships. After my three other cruises for this year were cancelled, this provided me with a possible cruise for this year and something to brighten my mood (at least temporarily). At the time that I booked the cruise, I was hoping that the virus situation would improve. Unfortunately, this has not been the case.

I love cruises and took my first in 1967 before my third birthday. This will be the first year since 1982 that I do not take a cruise. I hope that cruises return soon, but the return of cruises for me is becoming increasingly distant.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9