Cruise Critic Community
saminina

Serenity October MIA schedule

1 hour ago, TER777 said:

Middle of the night speculation given they all switched to Call for Availability. 

Both NCL and Regent announced today their suspension has been extended to Oct 31/20. Guidance on November to be provided before the end of August. 

3 hours ago, cruisr said:

I have a good friend who works at Johns Hopkins University (where much of the data comes from). All of the graduate schools executives, administrators, support staff, etc have been told that they will not be coming back to their offices until July, 2021 at the earliest.   Not that its a cruise but I would think that if a major university/research center and of course hospital is telling their employees they are not coming back for a yeat, I don’t see much chance of cruises coming back until at least then.

Wow.

6 hours ago, cruisr said:

I have a good friend who works at Johns Hopkins University (where much of the data comes from). All of the graduate schools executives, administrators, support staff, etc have been told that they will not be coming back to their offices until July, 2021 at the earliest.   Not that its a cruise but I would think that if a major university/research center and of course hospital is telling their employees they are not coming back for a yeat, I don’t see much chance of cruises coming back until at least then.

Germany, France, Spain, Belgium and Luxembourg are all experiencing spikes and my British friends are back to a 14 day quarantine when they come back from Spain.  River cruises now look no better than ocean cruises until next year.

The one beacon of hope is Sweden.  Their new infection rate is lower than these countries and their dead number is approaching 0.  And they have always been open.  Maybe at some point, we will have much lower new infection because we reach that critical mass like Sweden.  

14 minutes ago, kent9xxx1 said:

The one beacon of hope is Sweden.  Their new infection rate is lower than these countries and their dead number is approaching 0.  And they have always been open.  Maybe at some point, we will have much lower new infection because we reach that critical mass like Sweden.  

At the rate we are going it would take something like three years to get there without a vaccine and I can't imagine how many people would die and what the implications would be for those who survive.

Some new studies are showing for those who don't get hospitalized which is good that they still are having impacts to areas including their heart.

Keith

1 hour ago, Keith1010 said:

At the rate we are going it would take something like three years to get there without a vaccine and I can't imagine how many people would die and what the implications would be for those who survive.

Some new studies are showing for those who don't get hospitalized which is good that they still are having impacts to areas including their heart.

Keith

Didn't take Sweden 3 years to get there.  Sweden and USA both got hit with coronavirus at the same time.  They managed to get it under control somehow without closing anything.  You can look up their data.  It is significantly better than almost every countries in the world in term of new infection and dead.  Unless you don't believe their data.  

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-07-28/sweden-unveils-promising-covid-19-data-as-new-cases-plunge

I noticed this trend about 2-3 weeks back.  Suddenly everyone is reporting this now.  They have more testing now compare to last month.  This is as good news as it gonna get.  

You can lock down and wait for the second and third and forth wave, or you can social distance, wear mask, and go on with your life and there won't be second or third wave coming your way.  

4 hours ago, kent9xxx1 said:

Didn't take Sweden 3 years to get there.  Sweden and USA both got hit with coronavirus at the same time.  They managed to get it under control somehow without closing anything.  You can look up their data.  It is significantly better than almost every countries in the world in term of new infection and dead.  Unless you don't believe their data.  

Thank you.  I am well aware of the data on Norway and their approach, what worked, what didn't work.

To me there are many countries out there who curbed/slowed the rate of the virus and its transmission by approaching this on a national basis with lockdowns, tracing, testing and requiring people to follow the rules and actually doing things such as quarantines.  

Keith

Hi Keith.  Norway and Sweden took very different approaches.  Did you mean to say Sweden instead of Norway?  I believe kent9xxx1 was referring to Sweden.  I have been watching Norway closely since I was supposed to have been there this month....they had a lockdown and much stricter rules than Sweden and have fared pretty well.  Norway is opening back up to limited tourism and so far, so good.  Unfortunately, and understandably,  no American's allowed still! 

~Nancy

4 hours ago, oakridger said:

Hi Keith.  Norway and Sweden took very different approaches.  Did you mean to say Sweden instead of Norway?  I believe kent9xxx1 was referring to Sweden.  I have been watching Norway closely since I was supposed to have been there this month....they had a lockdown and much stricter rules than Sweden and have fared pretty well.  Norway is opening back up to limited tourism and so far, so good.  Unfortunately, and understandably,  no American's allowed still! 

~Nancy

Nancy, good catch.

You are spot-on.   

Sweden and Norway took two different approaches.

Interestingly as I think about it we have 50 states and territories and the District of Columbia and rather than having one unified national plan we ended up doing things in 50+ different ways.  Some states shut things down, had strict guidelines and opened things slowly while some states shut down very little and then opened very fast.  I think this is one of the reasons we have a mixd bag in our country and it is unfortunate 23 states are in the red zone with at least four new additions to the list who might have a big outbreak as has been the case recently with states such as Florida and Texas.  Just think with one cohesive plan we might be in a much better place.

If we keep this up I am afraid we will not be welcome in most places which is disappointing.

Keith

Posted (edited)

I thinks some of us are misunderstanding what Sweden did/didn’t in response to the outbreak.  Initially, the government took a “voluntary” distancing/isolation with some enforced bans on large gatherings, etc., which still resulted in a small (smaller to some other countries) surge in cases.  But when the numbers went up, the Swedes all decided to distance/isolate very well, and that resulted in a fairly successful decrease in new cases.  This is NOT a proof that doing nothing and waiting for herd immunity is a viable approach.  Also, what Swedes did is not even close to what we did/are doing in the US, both from legal standpoint as well how people actually behaved.

Edited by Psoque

The Riviera cruise ship that Oceania parked at a Maine port a month or so ago - no crew allowed off, etc.  apparently is leaving in the next day or so back to Europe.  No official reason but it is believed that it is to take crew home and get new crew on board since apparently they don't expect sailing from US or Canada for a while.

1 hour ago, Psoque said:

I thinks some of us are misunderstanding what Sweden did/didn’t in response to the outbreak.  Initially, the government took a “voluntary” distancing/isolation with some enforced bans on large gatherings, etc., which still resulted in a small (smaller to some other countries) surge in cases.  But when the numbers went up, the Swedes all decided to distance/isolate very well, and that resulted in a fairly successful decrease in new cases.  This is NOT a proof that doing nothing and waiting for herd immunity is a viable approach.  Also, what Swedes did is not even close to what we did/are doing in the US, both from legal standpoint as well how people actually behaved.

When the numbers went up, they still did not reverse the course of action.  This is very well reported all over the world and a lot of snide remarks from all over the world regarding their bonehead decision at the time.  They went on with social distance, mask, etc...  Their gyms stay open, but with social distance in place.  Their indoor cafe/restaurants stay open.  

And who said anything about doing nothing and waiting for herd immunity?  I said very clearly to do all that extra precautions and move on with your life like Sweden.  That is how you beat second wave, not shut down, and open, and then face the second wave.  

Maybe the Swedes have more common sense and common decency than the Americans regarding social distance and face mask, but that is one approach we can take instead of random shut down until who knows when.  

At the moment, Sweden has one of the highest death rates per capita in the world (8th). In fact, not doing anything caused people to be more fearful about going out than in countries where restrictions were put into place. As a result their economy suffered just as much initial economic damage than in those countries who had imposed severe restrictions. As noted, by many of the comments in this thread, the biggest difference in Sweden, like in many Asian countries, is public compliance to social distancing, so while the initial death rate is high and economic impact was the same, deaths and cases are diminishing which will lead to a quicker receovery.

2 hours ago, Fly Fast Cruise Slow said:

At the moment, Sweden has one of the highest death rates per capita in the world (8th). In fact, not doing anything caused people to be more fearful about going out than in countries where restrictions were put into place. As a result their economy suffered just as much initial economic damage than in those countries who had imposed severe restrictions. As noted, by many of the comments in this thread, the biggest difference in Sweden, like in many Asian countries, is public compliance to social distancing, so while the initial death rate is high and economic impact was the same, deaths and cases are diminishing which will lead to a quicker receovery.

sure, they have high dead rates, but they are slowly vacating their spot for other countries.

don’t you forget china was #1 in both infections and dead rates and now they are way down.  Sweden dead is approaching 0 while everyone else is going up and up.  

in a week, you will see them fall out of the top 10 and continue to fall further.  

Posted (edited)

10/29 and 11/05 canceled.  Received notice from Crystal tonight.

Edited by flyingshoes

6 minutes ago, flyingshoes said:

10/29 and 11/05 canceled.  Received notice from Crystal tonight.

Yes got those also. I do not think we will be sailing anytime soon, sadly.

As I said on another thread  it's all so very sad 😞 but I'm not in the least surprised no cruising 2020 

Hope it's not to long before we can all get back to cruising very soon 🚢

Stay safe & best wishes from the UK

Hi, 

I also received notice last night that my October 29 cruise on the Crystal Serenity has been cancelled. At least they cancelled the cruise before I made the final payment.

Chuck

• I received a notice this morning that our December 16 cruise has been cancelled.
  •  

On 7/27/2020 at 10:55 AM, Jimmycruiser said:

I am really sorry. I did not mean to attack you nor did I question you being realistic. I was taking issue with your use of the word MORE Realistic. I apparently misunderstood your intent and my response was not implying you were not realistic. Again I am sorry.

Hi Jimmycruiser I'm back ...and was I right ??? Not negetive or more realistic !!! Now possive!!! No cruising 2020 .... Gold medal UK ...( Hope you take this thread in good spirit) 😉 here's to 2021/2022🚢

On 7/31/2020 at 8:29 PM, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Our Crystal cruise has been canceled. 
perhaps, another time, another place......

sheila

Poor you .. I've been following your threads with interest & have posted several times  on other threads since April that cruising this year was not going to happen... I'm not a medical person  or into politics ..just a simple person in the UK who lives & breathes to cruise but back when I cancelled in April my September cruise I just knew it wasn't going to happen in 2020😢 so all we can do is wish everyone passengers & crew a  healthy

And safe return to cruising asap 🙏🚢🍾  friend from UK...

1 hour ago, Lvshack said:

Poor you .. I've been following your threads with interest & have posted several times  on other threads since April that cruising this year was not going to happen... I'm not a medical person  or into politics ..just a simple person in the UK who lives & breathes to cruise but back when I cancelled in April my September cruise I just knew it wasn't going to happen in 2020😢 so all we can do is wish everyone passengers & crew a  healthy

And safe return to cruising asap 🙏🚢🍾  friend from UK...

Thank you so much for your wonderful words.
Let’s hope this nightmare is over soon and we can all begin to enjoy life again!

sheila 🙏🤞🚢🥂👍

3 minutes ago, Bellaggio Cruisers said:

Thank you so much for your wonderful words.
Let’s hope this nightmare is over soon and we can all begin to enjoy life again!

sheila 🙏🤞🚢🥂👍

And thank you for your lovely reply .it  will be a very stressful & difficult time for passengers & crew alike & yes it's a nightmare still can't believe it's happening!!!

All so surreal .. I've been cruising every year since 1990 & this year is the first like so many others no doubt that won't be cruising.. 😢 but keep positive and look forward to cruising again very soon 🚢 keep safe  , and by the way what time is it in  your part of the world?? I've just finished wine at lunch & now getting ready for dinner at about 7pm

More wine ( sorry if your not drinkers )  here's to 2021 🚢

3 minutes ago, Lvshack said:

And thank you for your lovely reply .it  will be a very stressful & difficult time for passengers & crew alike & yes it's a nightmare still can't believe it's happening!!!

All so surreal .. I've been cruising every year since 1990 & this year is the first like so many others no doubt that won't be cruising.. 😢 but keep positive and look forward to cruising again very soon 🚢 keep safe  , and by the way what time is it in  your part of the world?? I've just finished wine at lunch & now getting ready for dinner at about 7pm

More wine ( sorry if your not drinkers )  here's to 2021 🚢

It’s 11:30am here in Florida.
I will share your toast over dinner this evening. It’s so nice to  communicate with you... too many nasty things are said on cruise critic these days. 
We are in our 80s and have only a little time left for cruising. We are avid cruisers, three or more each year. We have seen 99% of our bucket list by land and sea. We have sailed exclusively on Regent the past 10 years. 
We decided to book the two week Crystal cruise because the price was incredible and a good way to try Crystal. If they ever run another special, we will book it. 
We have six cruises booked on Regent for the next two years. I think two or three may be canceled, but we shall wait and see. There’s always hope....
I hope we meet somewhere, someday......

sheila