Does anyone from HAL read these posts?

Barkevko

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

And, why should any cruise line pay attention to Cruise Critic which is not representative of the majority of passengers?

Somebody has to monitor Social Media for the cruiseline and CC is part of it.

• Like 2

In the past I have talked to staff on the ships and they mentioned reading CC and also keeping up with the roll calls. It was always on an individual basis. My former PCC also looked at CC occasionally and knew what I posted.

I agree that there is someone at HAL who has the responsibility to monitor Social Media, but how much emphasis they put on CC over FB, Twitter, and others is hard to judge.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, JRG said:

Somebody has to monitor Social Media for the cruiseline and CC is part of it.

Why do  you say they have to monitor social media?  What makes you think CC is that important?  

14 minutes ago, richwmn said:

In the past I have talked to staff on the ships and they mentioned reading CC and also keeping up with the roll calls. It was always on an individual basis. My former PCC also looked at CC occasionally and knew what I posted.

I agree that there is someone at HAL who has the responsibility to monitor Social Media, but how much emphasis they put on CC over FB, Twitter, and others is hard to judge.

The fact that some personnel read CC on an individual basis is not the equivalent of formal monitoring as a part of someone's job.

I've not received a positive response when I've mentioned CC to cruise line personnel or travel agents.  My impression is they think CC posters are whiney, opinionated people with very little understanding of how the business works.  IOW, they are not impressed with CC and discount any information posted here.  

I wouldn't know if FB or Twitter is different because I have no desire to join either.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, richwmn said:

In the past I have talked to staff on the ships and they mentioned reading CC and also keeping up with the roll calls. It was always on an individual basis

I’ve had the same experience, Rich.  I don’t talk to anyone about CC but I’ve had several captains and HD’s comment on my LIVE threads and know 2 who read roll calls.  They knew who “kazu” was.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RocketMan275 said:

CC has too few members to be considered 'influential'.  

This plus we rarely get people that had a wonderful cruise, enjoyed everything, are happy and will cruise again that aren't members of CC to come post how they loved their vacation. OTOH we do get people that seek out the site to complain.

The surveys after a cruise and a will you cruise again type question are better indicators than CC and to a certain extent than social media.

My first Cruise was Carnival 4 day just to see if I could sleep and enjoy. My next was a 7 day to Alaska and I did a lot of research on CC. There was so much discussion in the RCL forum on how to dress for dinner and formal nights that I never went in the dining room ( ate almost exclusively in the dining room on my first cruise). The dining manager looked me up and asked why I wasn't dining in the dining rooms and I told him I don't have time in life on my vacation to worry if I am dressed right to eat in a dining room ( I dress in ironed jeans or khakis and collared shirts). I rarely wear a coat and tie anymore. My poist is there is a lot of inaccurate noise and opinion the prefer things they were previously.

A0

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Why do  you say they have to monitor social media?  What makes you think CC is that important?  

The fact that some personnel read CC on an individual basis is not the equivalent of formal monitoring as a part of someone's job.

I've not received a positive response when I've mentioned CC to cruise line personnel or travel agents.  My impression is they think CC posters are whiney, opinionated people with very little understanding of how the business works.  IOW, they are not impressed with CC and discount any information posted here.  

I wouldn't know if FB or Twitter is different because I have no desire to join either.

Having worked on HAL ships and in the HAL Office for quite some time, I have quite a bit of experience with both groups.

The shipboard personnel take Cruise Critic quite seriously. They read it regularly and pass around positive and negative comments.

Most cruise lines do have a staff member in the office who monitors all the social cruse websites.

Most of the people in the office have a generally negative view of CC Members and their comments.

The only time the office contacts the ships about CC reviews or comments is when they are really terribly negative.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

we do get people that seek out the site to complain.

Perhaps the clue is in the name  Cruise CRITIC.  Now if they changed the name to Cruise Critique, then there may be a more balanced view.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would say probably not.  And, why should any cruise line pay attention to Cruise Critic which is not representative of the majority of passengers?

I've always been surprised that the cruise lines don't seem to dedicate some staff to monitoring these forums. I know for a fact that the major airlines have dedicated staff that monitor their respective forums on FlyerTalk. There handles are known and you can even PM them for assistance at times. They don't post often, but when they do, they speak with the companies voice as an official. 

• Like 1

While there probably isn't a daily monitoring of cruise critic posts by HAL, sometimes a topic finds a loud enough voice to get corporate's attention. Not sure this could be officially confirmed, but the thread protesting HAL removing the Club Hal on the Oosterdam last fall did result in some "adjustments" by HAL.

Edited by vicd1969

2 hours ago, AlanF65 said:

The surveys after a cruise and a will you cruise again type question are better indicators than CC and to a certain extent than social media.

Exactly.

Those surveys are more important to them than checking posts here on this board.  While some employees might check it out I really doubt that they are looking at every post to see how we feel about HAL.  But I also agree they have to have a social media team.  And maybe one of them really reads CC.  Who really knows for sure?

Edited by Sharon in AZ

12 minutes ago, vicd1969 said:

While there probably isn't a daily monitoring of cruise critic posts by HAL, sometimes a topic finds a loud enough voice to get corporate's attention. Not sure this could be officially confirmed, but the thread protesting HAL removing the Club Hal on the Oosterdam last fall did result in some "adjustments" by HAL.

Isn't it also possible that those 'adjustment's were made because of on-board feedback, the after cruise surveys, or even people contacting HAL directly.  It would be very easy to believe that thread had an effect even if the effects were the result of another mechanism.

I believe that this Message Board has been monitored in the past.  With fewer employees currently, I'd be surprised (pleasantly) if it still was.

Like some others, I have also received some indication that "our voices" are not totally ignored.

4 hours ago, Donald said:

Most of the people in the office have a generally negative view of CC Members and their comments.

Interesting to know and disappointing as well.  Once on board a HAL ship when I told a crew member that I was a member of this Message Board, the reference of being a "cruise critic" caused angst for this gentleman.  It took awhile to assure him that I was not looking for negative things to report.  The concept of this Message Board being composed of most who are aficionados of HAL was a foreign concept to him.   

I know for a fact that (at least in the past) senior management in Seattle (senior as you can get) was well aware of what gets posted here. A family member was involved in one of those discussions.

From what I was told their opinion wasn’t necessarily positive and I can’t say I blame them. My relative didn’t admit that they knew someone here, let alone related. In this particular case they were discussing the reactions of posters here to an event that was reported in a ‘Live from...” thread. Some posters were having snit fits and management thought it was funny because the people on board the ship were doing something that was how that piece of equipment was intended to be used. 

After hearing about this, I told my relative that it was probably a good thing they didn’t know during the discussion, that I was there when this particular event took place. Not a participant, but part of the group that evening. I agree with management that the ruckus from the peanut gallery here was ridiculous. 

I have never, and will never, put a Cruise Critic sign on my door. 

9 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

CC has too few members to be considered 'influential'.  

I disagree. Polls work based on samples. They don't ask everyone.  Holland can get a good sense of what is and isn't working by reading this page. Plus only makes sense to read reviews of your ships and individual cruises.

• Like 1

I read these HAL posts, just about daily.  I've worked for 16 years in San Diego, and have been assigned in Miami and FLL, too.

On occasion, specific needs have been attended to when I have been able.

I have always attempted to answer positively.  I report to my immediate supervisor, not to Seattle directly.

All of my co-workers are anxiously awaiting a return of cruising.  We love what we do and do our very best every day for you....99 percent of us all cruise at least once a year, so we get it.

David

Edited by DAllenTCY
  • Like 5