Why does Cruise critic every time someone makes a post insert a COVID depressing Ad?

Gameck

1 hour ago, Gameck said:

People are here to talk cruising. Not see COVID numbers for the day

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

That's a Great Question! I too, have been wondering the same thing for the last Month or so. And as soon as someone comes on here to talk about cruising and how much it's missed, the Naysayers try to put a negative spin on it. That or can't believe there are people who are willing to compromise their health, the health of others, call us Desperate, etc. for still wanting to cruise.

All I can say is, Really? Well actually I could say a few other things but I'm sure I would get booted off Cruise Critic!  

I have a cruise booked for late September and I cannot wait to get back on a Carnival Cruise Ship. Vista here I come!! 

Edited by MzOhioLady
  • Like 7

I could be wrong, but I suspect the ads you see are prompted by whatever else you have looked at on line. Her's a way to test my theory. Let's say you're interested in purchasing a certain dress shirt. Go to Amazon, or Macy's web site, or any other web site that might have what you're looking for. Look for that item on  4, 5 or 6  different web sites. Then come on here, and unless you have some sort of ad blocker, you'll see ads on here for that shirt (or similar). In addition to having an ad blocker, you may have to turn off "cookies" in your settings. Or, just ignore the ads like you would in a magazine.

3 hours ago, Gameck said:

Hi Gameck

As has been mentioned, we all see different ads. 

These ads are generated normally because of your regular browsing interest. Sort of like advertising a lot of toys, or sugary sweets on children's shows.

You can find ad blockers, or also easy, is just ignore it. On the specific topic that you mention, it is hard to get away from considering how pervasive the issue is. When something becomes "The" headline news, it stays that way, until something else seems more important. 

• Like 1

⬇️  This  ⬇️

1 hour ago, beachbum53 said:

the ads you see are prompted by whatever else you have looked at on line. Here's a way to test my theory. Let's say you're interested in purchasing a certain dress shirt. Go to Amazon, or Macy's web site, or any other web site that might have what you're looking for.

Look for that item on  4, 5 or 6  different web sites. Then come on here, and unless you have some sort of ad blocker, you'll see ads on here for that shirt (or similar). In addition to having an ad blocker, you may have to turn off "cookies" in your settings. Or, just ignore the ads like you would in a magazine.

#Algorithms ✌️

3 hours ago, Gameck said:

I really don’t understand what you are saying.  I don’t see ads (maybe ad blocker).  Maybe I’ve ignored some since I realize this is a business.  I would definitely everyone know if I disagree with something posted or advertised.

Agree that your ads are tailored to you based on your search history. I've never seen a COVID related ad on here. However, every time I look up a business to get their address or search for something on amazon; suddenly all of my ads are related to those searches. Outside of those it's always generic travel related ads. This is a case where you are your worst enemy; most likely you are causing them with your browsing history somehow. Would have to look at them to see what is actually being advertised to figure out what the problem searches are.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

On 6/11/2020 at 10:03 AM, beachbum53 said:

I could be wrong, but I suspect the ads you see are prompted by whatever else you have looked at on line. Her's a way to test my theory. Let's say you're interested in purchasing a certain dress shirt. Go to Amazon, or Macy's web site, or any other web site that might have what you're looking for. Look for that item on  4, 5 or 6  different web sites. Then come on here, and unless you have some sort of ad blocker, you'll see ads on here for that shirt (or similar). In addition to having an ad blocker, you may have to turn off "cookies" in your settings. Or, just ignore the ads like you would in a magazine.

The funny part is that it isn't just one computer.  It goes by your internet designation.  (Not a techie here).  My wife uses a laptop at home and I use a desk top.  If she looks at say swimsuits on her laptop, ads will pop up on both the laptop and the desktop.  If I look for tools, ads will pop up for tools on her laptop too.

1 hour ago, RWolver672 said:

The funny part is that it isn't just one computer.  It goes by your internet designation.  (Not a techie here).  My wife uses a laptop at home and I use a desk top.  If she looks at say swimsuits on her laptop, ads will pop up on both the laptop and the desktop.  If I look for tools, ads will pop up for tools on her laptop too.

Your computers are presumably using the same internet provider and probably using the same router. The same thing happens in our house when a device connects to the router, it sees ads based on what other devices have searched for. That's the extent of my knowledge.

19 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

Your computers are presumably using the same internet provider and probably using the same router. The same thing happens in our house when a device connects to the router, it sees ads based on what other devices have searched for. That's the extent of my knowledge.

That's the extent of mine too.  🤣

my ads are all for cruises... LOL   I recently got this computer (so that I could work remotely due to this pandemic) and the only places I go on here are Cruise Critic and the Carnival website...   

all my ads are GREAT!  🙂