Don't forget travel insurance! Try Steve too.

Petoonya

When I read the latest FP government proposed requirements for travel to Tahiti I got a little panicky. One of the provisions is that a travel medical insurance policy will need to be presented. (These aren't set in stone yet, so don't panic like me, but sound likely.) I'm sure what they will be looking for is insurance that will cover COVID-19 if it occurs while traveling. I was sketchy about my policy covering it even though my regular health insurance will.

I bought my insurance through InsureMyTrip and at the time, March 2020, COVID-19 implications were not completely known. They really still aren't. When I called my insurer I was advised that they "may" cover. Vague wording never seems to come down on my side. I bought my policy with InsureMyTrip and never again. I thought I knew the ins and outs of travel insurance. Not very smart with COVID-19 in the air

So I would recommend to everyone, call Steve at travelinsurancestore.com for any cruise insurance help you might need. He is wonderful. If I'd known what I know about COVID-19 back in March I would have bought a cancel for any reason policy despite the expense.

Do yourself a favor and contact Steve before you put a deposit on a cruise.

Edited by Petoonya

We have always received exceptional customer service from InsureMyTrip, as well as Squaremouth so I am very surpised that you received such a vague answer.  Was there something in particular that left you unsatisfied with Insuremytrip or just the answer you received. My current understanding is that very few policies include coverage for a pandemic - even with "cancel for any reason" clauses. What policy have you purchased that has coverage for COVID expenses?

5 hours ago, sippican said:

We have always received exceptional customer service from InsureMyTrip, as well as Squaremouth so I am very surpised that you received such a vague answer.  Was there something in particular that left you unsatisfied with Insuremytrip or just the answer you received. My current understanding is that very few policies include coverage for a pandemic - even with "cancel for any reason" clauses. What policy have you purchased that has coverage for COVID expenses?

I regret saying anything negative about InsureMyTrip as for me too they have been wonderful in the past. I usually go with Travel Insured under their umbrella but was looking specifically for default insurance at the time of purchase. That wasn't offered back then although that's different now. Also a few companies did offer CFAR but it was very expensive so I passed on that. But it was available. I wish I'd gone for it now with COVID and possibilities of things like our govt shutting down international travel at some point in the future, and other unknown possibilities. I ended up purchasing a "Nationwide" universal cruise policy primarily because it covered default. Off brand but it looked decent. It also covered COVID illness if cancellation was required.

When I called InsureMyTrip a few days ago the rep said Nationwide "may" cover cancellation due to sickness with COVID but said that we are in a "whole new world of 'what ifs'" and possibly would not be covered- same if I became sick during my cruise. I tried to press her on it and she told me to call Nationwide. Got the exact same answer. "May cover" is the best they could say.

Steve was baffled- said there was nothing in the wording of the policy that said "may". I really got the feeling he would go to bat for me if i had a problem. I honestly don't feel that way about InsureMyTrip. It was up to me to pursue Nationwide. I'm still stuck on the rep saying "may cover". When it's vague it's on the insurance company's side.

Now some of the larger companies like Travel Guard and Travel Insured may not currently use "may cover". it may just be the off-brand company I used. Just be sure that you have coverage for COVID spelled out before you agree to anything. I wish I went with a major brand but they weren't covering default back in March.

• Like 1

BTW, my health insurance policy does cover COVID internationally. If FP wants proof of travel medical insurance thought it would be a lot easier to present a simple travel insurance policy as opposed to the 200 page health insurance document. I really wish I knew if Nationwide will cover me should I get COVID-19 in the weeks prior to my cruise. It does make a big difference. I now hope that I get it in the months to come so perhaps there "may" be some immunity.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, sippican said:

I think I misunderstood. Were you just looking for medical coverage for COVID? I was referring to coverage for cancellation, interruption, etc., due to COVID.

Actually both.

7 minutes ago, sippican said:

Would you please share the name of the insurance company?

Nationwide.

But if you are looking for a policy to cover something specific like COVID-19 I really recommend talking to Steve Dasseos tripinsurancestore.com. 888-407-3854

He has the Q&A at the top of the Cruise Critic page and has a whole section to read about COVID coverage on his webpage. And it does not cost a dime more the TripInsured.

Best wishes.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Nationwide.

But if you are looking for a policy to cover something specific like COVID-19 I really recommend talking to Steve Dasseos tripinsurancestore.com. 888-407-3854

He has the Q&A at the top of the Cruise Critic page and has a whole section to read about COVID coverage on his webpage. And it does not cost a dime more the TripInsured.

Best wishes.

Thanks.

Steve should pay you for advertising!

2 minutes ago, sippican said:

Thanks.

Steve should pay you for advertising!

Oh, I'm just kicking myself in the %$# for not doing it in the first place. I thought Steve worked for Insure My Trip without investigating. Wish there was a way to pass the word on to anyone booking cruises right now.

Best to you.