Carnival CEO Admits: “I Don’t Know When We’ll Sail Again”

mnocket

1 hour ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

35 million this season were infected with the common flu. If you had the flu. Did you wear a mask to prevent others from catching yours? I doubt it. I doubt if you ever would either.

I had the flu 2 years ago and stayed inside until the doctor gave me the all clear. I also get a flu shot every year and that was the only time I have ever got it. After 30+ cruises yes I miss it with 2 already canceled for this year and another in December that I doubt will happen.  Will cruise again once there is a vaccine.  Booked for April 2021 and hope we have one by then. 

• Like 1

Just to be clear in comparison with the flu, Covid-19 mortality rate is a multiple of that of the flu.  There is debate if that multiple is 3 times or 10 times.  But even the most optimistic estimates still make it a multiple. In 2018-2019 the CDC estimates that 35.5 got the flu, resulting in  34,200 deaths. A rate of .09%.  With COVID-19  the estimate for the rate varies from a low of .26 percent to a high of 1.1%.  So the multiple is anywhere of 3 to 12 times that of the flu.

The hospitalization rate is also a multiple in 2018-2019 you had 490,600 hospitalizations from the flu, about 1.4%  With COVID-19 looking at the hospitalization data from University of Minnesota (38 states reporting) you already have 227,539 hospitalization and a rate anywhere from 3% to 9% depending upon the estimate used form percentage of unreported cases.

The time and expense of treating an individual patient in the hospital is a multiple (average time for a flu patient in the hospital is around 5-7 days, for COVID-19 is is around twice that)

Covid is far more infectious than the flu.  Also a multiple.

In addition there are few long term effects with the flu,  with COVID there is increasing documentation of long term impact including loss of lung capacity, impacted kidney function, cardio impacts, strokes, neurological function.  The inflammation syndrome showing up in some children and young adults. The strokes in young adults that have not shown any other symptoms.  Patient with relatively minor cases, but have debilitating symptoms lasting months.

COVID is not the flu, the comparison is not even close.

Edited by npcl
  • Like 4

Since this is a topic about sailing again.  NCL just announced most cruises canceled until the end of September.  Might see the same from the other cruise lines in the near future.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, npcl said:

Since this is a topic about sailing again.  NCL just announced most cruises canceled until the end of September.  Might see the same from the other cruise lines in the near future.

Funny how CEO 1 doesn't talk to CEO2/3, it isn't like they aren't impacted by the same issue.

But their stocks are doing a sympathy tank together. 

9 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

I wish I had a Total Wine store in my area!

No need, Just order direct and get it delivered. Some of the best wineries in Napa County, CA ship direct to end customers and in fact some of the very best only sell direct to end customers.

On 6/15/2020 at 3:55 AM, nbsjcruiser said:

This is the point that hits home to me as well. Everyone's comfort level is different, I get that, but until the cruise lines can adequately layout their process for what they will do in case of a breakout, I wouldn't step foot on a cruise. What's the plan when the Diamond Princess has a breakout again? They just gonna float around the ocean aimlessly hoping a port somewhere will take them in? Am I going to be stuck on a cruise ship for 3 or 4 weeks, locked in my room? Will my insurance cover me if any of this happens?

Well if CoVID-19 is still considered a pandemic then I doubt if your insurance will cover it.

20 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

I don't get it either. The first few times you wear it you feel awkward and strange but after you realize you're not alone, its not so bad. The sad thing is that wearing a mask protects others from you more than it protects you from others. If wearing a mask was a self protecting thing, more people would wear them. What does that say about society's view of their fellow citizens?

If people could obtain N95 masks, then it would be self-protecting. Cloth masks are not self-protecting.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, caribill said:

If people could obtain N95 masks, then it would be self-protecting. Cloth masks are not self-protecting.

They're not meant to be self protecting. They're meant to reduce the rate of infection by reducing the chances that you might spread it to others. By wearing a mask you reduce the fine droplets you might spread should you sneeze or cough. You're making the virus harder to replicate itself to others should you get sick. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

35 million this season were infected with the common flu. If you had the flu. Did you wear a mask to prevent others from catching yours? I doubt it. I doubt if you ever would either.

Your willful ignorance on the subject is astounding.  Bravo!  

• Like 3

On 6/16/2020 at 8:49 AM, PrincessLuver said:

I was glad to see today that United Airlines and possibly another airline will put passengers on an  "internal no fly" list for their company if passengers refuse to wear a mask.  They will lose their opportunity to fly on United for an extended period of time.  United says protecting its passengers is one of its main company values.  Way to go United and maybe we will see more denial of service for people who refuse to comply to wearing of face coverings when required by a business.

Most all of the airlines have now committed to this.  My husband was on a Jet Blue flight yesterday and they were enforcing the mask requirement.  That's the way it should be.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

They're not meant to be self protecting. They're meant to reduce the rate of infection by reducing the chances that you might spread it to others. By wearing a mask you reduce the fine droplets you might spread should you sneeze or cough. You're making the virus harder to replicate itself to others should you get sick. 

I agree 100%. With a cloth mask you are protecting others.

But with a N95 mask you are protecting yourself as well as others.

• Like 1

On 6/16/2020 at 7:49 AM, PrincessLuver said:

I was glad to see today that United Airlines and possibly another airline will put passengers on an  "internal no fly" list for their company if passengers refuse to wear a mask.  They will lose their opportunity to fly on United for an extended period of time.  United says protecting its passengers is one of its main company values.  Way to go United...

But United also sets up seating with middle seats not able to be assigned....until they can sell them once the aisle and window seats are all sold.  So you can end up on a full plane with no distancing at all between passengers. Not what I call "protecting its passengers."

• Like 2

2 hours ago, caribill said:

But United also sets up seating with middle seats not able to be assigned....until they can sell them once the aisle and window seats are all sold.  So you can end up on a full plane with no distancing at all between passengers. Not what I call "protecting its passengers."

I fly United and that happens on very few flights.  Also, you are notified how full the plane is so you can make no cost changes prior to departure if you are uncomfortable with the seating.  I always fly First Class or Business Class so it do not really care about a middle seat anyway.  I feel way safer on a plane then a cruise ship in the age of COVID-19.

More airlines than United announced yesterday that they will put passengers on "no fly list" for a period of time if they refuse to comply with wearing a mask so mask up or do not fly!!!  :classic_biggrin:

4 hours ago, BLK03GT said:

Your willful ignorance on the subject is astounding.  Bravo!  

I love the COVID-19 deniers because they are so entertaining and they seem to believe unicorns and mermaids are going to come to the rescue and blow multi-colored confetti out their butts and COVID-19 will magically go away.....man, are they in for a surprise....it just make take an extreme amount of energy to deny reality!!! :classic_laugh::classic_laugh::classic_laugh:

• Like 1

20 hours ago, npcl said:

Just to be clear in comparison with the flu, Covid-19 mortality rate is a multiple of that of the flu.  There is debate if that multiple is 3 times or 10 times.  But even the most optimistic estimates still make it a multiple. In 2018-2019 the CDC estimates that 35.5 got the flu, resulting in  34,200 deaths. A rate of .09%.  With COVID-19  the estimate for the rate varies from a low of .26 percent to a high of 1.1%.  So the multiple is anywhere of 3 to 12 times that of the flu.

Dead is dead.  For whatever reason.

This is something I would like to avoid.  I am willing to take actions and avoid situations to accomplish this.

I am anxious for real n-95 masks to be available to the public.   That way I can protect myself against others.

The masks most people have now are to protect others against oneself.

The masks I have are typical for a dentist ... with certainly a lot of unfiltered air enterering around the sides.

But, they would prevent my dentist from drooling on me...

0102_cemetery-florida-1000x643.jpg

On 6/12/2020 at 2:11 PM, capriccio said:

I hare your cynicism because otherwise they look even more incompetent announcing a start date for specific ships and departure ports and then saying that's not what they meant!

The confusion might best be attributed to a miscommunication in which Carnival specifically said, “Beginning August 1, we plan to resume cruises on the following ships.” This was followed by information indicating that a total of eight ships would begin sailing from the ports of Galveston, Miami and Port Canaveral.

While that obviously got cruisers extremely excited, Donald says it was not intended as “a pronouncement that we are coming back on August 1.” He added that instead, they were “waiting to see how things evolve and develop.”

Nobody knows anything for sure, but the cruise lines must do their planning using the best information available. Note the use of the word "PLAN" in the earlier statement. Would you have them cancel everything, then sit back and await developments, then start from scratch when things sort out? That would take forever to restart.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roberto256 said:

I am anxious for real n-95 masks to be available to the public.   That way I can protect myself against others.

The masks most people have now are to protect others against oneself.

From USA Today in agreement with you

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/factcheck/2020/06/16/fact-check-cloth-masks-help-protect-others-contracting-covid-19/5333264002/?for-guid=6e3b0242-45e5-11ea-88fe-12ccee11deff&utm_source=usatoday-Coronavirus Watch&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=baseline_greeting&utm_term=list_article_thumb-2

"It is true that ear loop masks do not protect the wearer from COVID-19. They are worn to protect others from the virus and help limit the spread in public settings."

12 hours ago, caribill said:

8 hours ago, nbsjcruiser said:

4 hours ago, caribill said:

I agree 100%. With a cloth mask you are protecting others.

But with a N95 mask you are protecting yourself as well as others.

IMHO those of us at risk should most definitely be wearing masks meant to protect us - not cloth masks.  Even though N95 masks can be difficult to find or way overpriced, there are other solutions that come close to providing the same level of protection.  Cyclying masks are a good example;

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=cyclying+mask&crid=1NKDEFK6U2YD1&sprefix=cyclying+mask%2Caps%2C301&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_13

These masks contain replaceable filters that are quire effective, plus they fit tightly.

https://smartairfilters.com/en/blog/can-masks-capture-coronavirus/

Everyone must make their own choice, but this is the solution I chose.  I will not rely on others to protect me.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, HappyCruiserettu said:

Nobody knows anything for sure, but the cruise lines must do their planning using the best information available. Note the use of the word "PLAN" in the earlier statement. Would you have them cancel everything, then sit back and await developments, then start from scratch when things sort out? That would take forever to restart.

I interpreted 'plan' as 'intend' which is a synonym.  But since neither of us is the CEO or spokesperson of Carnival we don't know what meaning they meant to convey do we?

14 hours ago, brisalta said:

No need, Just order direct and get it delivered. Some of the best wineries in Napa County, CA ship direct to end customers and in fact some of the very best only sell direct to end customers.

I was not aware that Total Wine would ship.  I'll check into that.  I wonder if the shipping costs might be more than whatever I might save on the wine itself.  

1 hour ago, caribill said:

"It is true that ear loop masks do not protect the wearer from COVID-19. They are worn to protect others from the virus and help limit the spread in public settings."

Anyone who has been around for a while knows that Cruise Critic has a long history of me, me, me, me!

Typical: "I'm cruising in a suite, can my entire neighborhood check in with ME?"

I want to be doing what is necessary to protect myself, rather than relying on the courtesy of others -- with a mask that provides the best protection to me.

Even is the me,me,me folks are in a minority, and most people are courteous.   Dead is dead.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

IMHO those of us at risk should most definitely be wearing masks meant to protect us - not cloth masks.  Even though N95 masks can be difficult to find or way overpriced, there are other solutions that come close to providing the same level of protection.

I was able to find industrial N-95 masks.  These can be fitted to filter various chemicals or gases;  or with the appropriate filteration to provide n-95 protection.

A true surgical mask has to additionally protect the wearer from a pressurized stream of liquid.   I'm forgoing that.

Some of my friends, with bandanas, look like they are about to rob stagecoaches.

Which is cool, but ineffective.

4T870_AS01?$zmmain$

51 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I was not aware that Total Wine would ship.  I'll check into that.  I wonder if the shipping costs might be more than whatever I might save on the wine itself.  

It appears you constructively misread what I said but that is an idea to check if Total Wine ships direct to consumer.  Point I was trying to make is that you go through a wine store as opposed to ordering direct from some of the wineries you will not be able to get the best wines.

Edited by brisalta

20 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

Some of my friends, with bandanas, look like they are about to rob stagecoaches.

Which is cool, but ineffective.

The point of wearing masks is to protect others from the spray of viral particles arising from breathing, coughing, sneezing, etc.  Even a thick cloth bandana can restrict the spray. People that are asymptomatic or pre-symptomic with CoVID-19 can shed viable virus particles.

• Like 1