Carnival CEO Admits: “I Don’t Know When We’ll Sail Again”

mnocket

On 6/16/2020 at 10:03 AM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

I only wear one when gong grocery shopping. No where else. That is only to make others feel better. Not other reason. You see those driving a car wearing them, walking down the side walk, bicycling, jogging, working in their yard, washing the car. A bit over done don't you think? Just the common FLU is a major killer and no one wears a mask. A vaccine is available and how many do not get the shot every fall? More and more are tested and have the virus. So what! So many have the FLU also. How many will die from either one is what is important. Nothing else.

Did you ever consider that the people driving cars are going short distance point to point or picking up and dropping off passengers? Taking off a mask carefully takes a bit of effort so it would be easier to leave it on. Walking, jogging, bicycling, etc result in some exertion which can cause heavy breathing which results in expelling viral particles some distance. 

There has been recently published peer reviewed research that shows that the viral particles can be dispersed 30 feet from those various actions mentioned by you.  The previous published research was several decades old and based on larger particle sizes. The dispersion pattern is another factor that will have to be taken into account when considering allowing people into restricted spaces for a period of time if there is not an inoculation available.

Edited by brisalta

Some additional Arnold Donald comments:

o thinking about making onboard changes such as ..... requesting elderly cruise-goers to submit a medical certificate clearing them as fit to hop onboard.

o "I would not count on a lot of deals. When we start sailing again, more than likely because there is going to be fewer ships out, and people are anxious to cruise, there is going to be more demand than supply initially."

o “There will definitely be delays in the arrival of the new ships. We have several coming this year — Enchanted Princess in our Princess line, Iona in our P&O line, (and) of course, Mardi Gras for our Carnival line. Those ships all are going to be delayed.”

o about refunds: “The reality is, of course, nobody was prepared for this,” he explained. “With the level of cancellations and the total pause of cruise, it’s a huge amount of volume that we’ve never seen before. Our systems weren’t set up to handle it.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-interview/

I think that pretty much sums it up....... Nobody knows......

Also reading between the lines..... cruising will not be cheap... and no specials 

also limited cruises.....

So as everybody has been saying    look at the 2021-2022 season in Australia

But it might be a lot dearer... if so that is it for cruising for us...

Cheers Don

On 6/16/2020 at 12:30 PM, npcl said:

If you look at their last SEC filing, the amount of customer deposits across the CCL lines still exceed 4 billion. 

In their current press release:

"As of May 31, 2020 , the current portion of customer deposits was $2.6 billion with $121 million relating to third quarter sailings and $353 million relating to fourth quarter sailings."

It did not say how much was related to 1st quarter 2020 and 2nd quarter 2020 but has not been refunded yet.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-summary-second-quarter-results

28 minutes ago, caribill said:

In their current press release:

"As of May 31, 2020 , the current portion of customer deposits was $2.6 billion with $121 million relating to third quarter sailings and $353 million relating to fourth quarter sailings."

It did not say how much was related to 1st quarter 2020 and 2nd quarter 2020 but has not been refunded yet.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-summary-second-quarter-results

what did accounts payable do?

I noticed on some of the other line AP went up by about the same amount that deposits went down. If CCL did the same the transferred amount would likely be the amount of refunds that gave been approved, but not paid back to the customer. 

traveling now so not in position to look it up.

On 6/17/2020 at 6:07 AM, BLK03GT said:

Your willful ignorance on the subject is astounding.  Bravo!  

Where's the downvote button?  We can disagree without being rude and snippity.

Edited by WAMarathoner
  • Like 1

On 6/17/2020 at 7:17 PM, caribill said:

Some additional Arnold Donald comments:

o thinking about making onboard changes such as ..... requesting elderly cruise-goers to submit a medical certificate clearing them as fit to hop onboard.

o "I would not count on a lot of deals. When we start sailing again, more than likely because there is going to be fewer ships out, and people are anxious to cruise, there is going to be more demand than supply initially."

o “There will definitely be delays in the arrival of the new ships. We have several coming this year — Enchanted Princess in our Princess line, Iona in our P&O line, (and) of course, Mardi Gras for our Carnival line. Those ships all are going to be delayed.”

o about refunds: “The reality is, of course, nobody was prepared for this,” he explained. “With the level of cancellations and the total pause of cruise, it’s a huge amount of volume that we’ve never seen before. Our systems weren’t set up to handle it.”

https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-interview/

Thanks for posting this.  I think it is reality.  

3 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Australia is not opening for cruising until 2022.Book it, Dano!

Where did you see this?  Or is this just your prediction?

Last ban notice I saw ends September 17,2020. Of course that can be extended.

• Like 1

One thing which   Arnold Donald said

On 6/18/2020 at 9:17 AM, caribill said:

. requesting elderly cruise-goers to submit a medical certificate clearing them as fit to hop onboard.

What is elderly ??? one source suggest over 65 !!!!   

I am not elderly  and I will not hop onboard    ( OHS issue )   I walk onboard    lol

Cheers Don

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, oskidunker said:

Australia is not opening for cruising until 2022.Book it, Dano!

Not sure where you heard this but using your standard we could say that the USA is not opening for cruising until 2025.  It makes as much sense.  You think I am crazy?  Has anyone seen the CDC standards that will be required to open up cruising from USA ports?  Nope!  What if the CDC (where none of the decision makers have been elected to anything) decides to keep extending the cruise shut-down for the next 5 years?  Who is going to overrule them?  

Hank

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

One thing which   Arnold Donald said

What is elderly ??? one source suggest over 65 !!!!   

I am not elderly  and I will not hop onboard    ( OHS issue )   I walk onboard    lol

Obviously passengers will be divided into four categories:

1) Those who hop on board

2) Those who skip on board

3) Those who jump on board

4) Those who walk on board

(no running is allowed on board)

Only those who hop and are also in the advanced age group will need the doctor's note.

Arnold Donald is 65 years old.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 6/12/2020 at 4:45 PM, ghstudio said:

I think that some of the first cruises will be very short...perhaps Florida to a private island....3-4 days.  Those could start this year IF there are enough folks who believe they just won't get the virus 

Yup, college kids, young families and the young at heart will be the first to cruise.  Mostly to private islands.  This is probably a good way to restart the cruise industry until there is a vaccine.  That said, I plan to cruise next winter, with or without a vaccine.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Not sure where you heard this but using your standard we could say that the USA is not opening for cruising until 2025.  It makes as much sense.  You think I am crazy?  Has anyone seen the CDC standards that will be required to open up cruising from USA ports?  Nope!  What if the CDC (where none of the decision makers have been elected to anything) decides to keep extending the cruise shut-down for the next 5 years?  Who is going to overrule them?  

Hank

The courts.  As long as the CDC doesn't provide guidelines for reopening cruising.  Then the courts could provide a rule in their favor.  You cant really tell Disney they can open with guidelines but then tell another company I'm sorry we don't have any plan for you.  That starts to look very unfair.   If they do provide very difficult standards to allow them to resume cruising then at least there is something to discuss.  Right now its all smoke until the CDC comes up with guidelines for this its pointless to talk of resuming in the US.  They can only delay guidelines for so long or legal action I am sure will be taken.  I am sure the CDC is struggling coming up with fair rules for this because ships are one of the worst places to catch covid due to the enclosed space.

12 hours ago, Hlitner said:

I would think a president could command the health and human services secretary to fire anyone at the CDC who is not following the party line,

if the president wished; and could fire the HHS secretary if needed to accomplish this.

Note, I said 'could', as no one would ever be fired for voicing a scientifically-valid opinion, even if it were contrary to an administration's position.

As a handy reference, I have included a link to the definition of 'sarcasm'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

I would think a president could command the health and human services secretary to fire anyone at the CDC who is not following the party line,

if the president wished; and could fire the HHS secretary if needed to accomplish this.

Note, I said 'could', as no one would ever be fired for voicing a scientifically-valid opinion, even if it were contrary to an administration's position.

As a handy reference, I have included a link to the definition of 'sarcasm'.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/sarcasm

I think there needs to be some recognition that the term "science" has been completely bastardized by both scientists and politicians.  It is now used as a political hammer to justify personal agendas.  One great example is the entire mask thing where "science" originally told us NOT to wear masks and that they were dangerous.  Tony Fauci, when recently asked about this had a typical Fauci response which was that "circumstances changed."   That is not true science which means you develop a theory and then must prove it (scientifically).  These days many of the so-called scientists simply implement their theories prior to proving anything and then later "revise" their advice.  As I have posted (elsewhere on CC) in the early days of the HIV/AIDS epidemic I was at a conference where Tony Fauci and several other esteemed scientists told us, we have many Aids vaccines under development and should have a vaccine in the near future.  Or course that was 35 years ago and it was true that there were many vaccines in testing...including some that made it to Phase 3 trials (similar to several COVID-19 candidates).  None of these vaccines cleared Phase 3 and to this day we still have no HIV/Aids vaccine.

I would also take you back a few decades ago when "science" told us that we were entering an Ice Age (it was actually a cover on Time Magazine) before they told us we were in a Global Warming trend before they finally decided to just tell us we are suffering from "Climate Change."  My scientific response was that we have had "Climate Change" since the earth was formed and will always have "Climate Change."  So now you hear the term "scientific consensus" which is actually not science at all since real science is about absolute proof..not "consensus, I think the proper response is to say "prove it.".   Personally, I will believe that we have a COVID-19 vaccine when a candidate clears Phase 3 Trials, with good results.  That might happen in 2021 or it may never happen.

Can cruise ships operate in this COVID-19 world while giving some reasonable guarantee of safety to passengers/crew?  I have no clue and neither does anyone else.  But there are sure a lot of theories and wishful thinking.

Hank

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only political appointees can be fired at will.  The majority of CDC workers are career employees and are difficult to fire due to union affiliation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mnocket said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but only political appointees can be fired at will.  The majority of CDC workers are career employees and are difficult to fire due to union affiliation. 

It isn't union affiliation that protects career employees; it is civil service protections.

On 6/17/2020 at 3:03 AM, caribill said:

If people could obtain N95 masks, then it would be self-protecting. Cloth masks are not self-protecting.

Not to split hairs, but N95s are not masks - they are respirators.  They only provide protection when they are properly fitted to the wearer.  The only way to know if a N95 respirator is providing the intended respiratory protection is to undergo fit testing as mandated by OSHA and NIOSH standards when they are used in hospitals or other types of facilities.  Fit testing is a complex procedure and should only be performed by a person who has been properly trained and certified to administer fit tests.

People should not be deluded into thinking they are any more protected just because they bought a N95 on the internet and slapped it on in place of a surgical type mask.  (Plus, there are unscrupulous vendors out there selling dust masks as N95 respirators because they look alike.)

• Like 1