30th

old man 1010

What is the latest educated guess on when Hawaii going open up to out of state tourist? I have read somewhere it was going to be late September? We are looking to book for our 30th anniversary which is in September. Also what is the best cruise line for a Hawaii cruise? Royal doesn't offer much.

Nobody is going to know for sure. At this point, the 14 mandatory quarantine for arrivals is extended to the end of July. A local posted on another thread just down the board that September 1st was possible for re-opening.

"Best" cruise line is totally subjective. What is best to you? At this point, most cruises to Hawaii are canceled, but in normal, non-Covid operations, most Hawaii cruises (NCL's 7 day, based in Hawaii excepted) start in later September. Note Holland America has canceled ALL Hawaii cruises for this upcoming Hawaii "season". Others may follow suit.

19 hours ago, old man 1010 said:

I have read somewhere it was going to be late September? We are looking to book for our 30th anniversary which is in September. Also what is the best cruise line for a Hawaii cruise? Royal doesn't offer much.

Our family who live on Maui has said they have either heard Aug 1 or Sept 1 depending on who you talk to but the only thing that everyone agrees on is that no one really has a clue. This is all in relation to flying in. We really want to go see them but don't want to invest in 2 weeks locked up in their house. 

The islands themselves are slowly reopening right now with restaurants and the like opening for those that are already there. Inter island travel, without the need for the 14 day quarantine, resumes on June 16th but even then they are going to great lengths to discourage leisure travel.  

They do seem very steadfast that cruising will be very slow to return to Hawaii and most likely not happen in 2020. If thats the method you want to go to Hawaii with I would postpone until your 31st anniversary. 

• Like 1

On 6/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, CruiserBruce said:

Note Holland America has canceled ALL Hawaii cruises for this upcoming Hawaii "season". Others may follow suit.

Almost, but not entirely... The October 17th & November 3rd cruises are still on, as of today...

They did cancel cruises to Hawaii in January & February.  I suspect that they are going to do more Mexican cruises (since it's easier to sell 7 days to Mexico vs. 17/18 days to Hawaii).

On 6/12/2020 at 4:34 PM, old man 1010 said:

What is the latest educated guess on when Hawaii going open up to out of state tourist? I have read somewhere it was going to be late September? We are looking to book for our 30th anniversary which is in September. Also what is the best cruise line for a Hawaii cruise? Royal doesn't offer much.

Pretty close to zero cruise selection.     Sorry.   Look at other options.    Speculation is wide-  even up to mid 2021.   The mainland transit quarantine doesn't have any end in sight.      

17 hours ago, Budget Queen said:

The mainland transit quarantine doesn't have any end in sight.

Well it does-- currently July 31. They have now lifted the inter island quarantine requirement that was going to be the first step in reopening the Islands to the mainland. 

Our family on Maui believes that it could get extended a little bit longer but they are actively trying to spool up to bring people back. There apparently are large contingencies of New Yorkers that just decided to rent homes and deal with the quarantine. Their guess from what they are hearing is that it will be lifted fully in either August or September. 

On 6/19/2020 at 11:00 AM, princeton123211 said:

Well it does-- currently July 31. They have now lifted the inter island quarantine requirement that was going to be the first step in reopening the Islands to the mainland. 

Our family on Maui believes that it could get extended a little bit longer but they are actively trying to spool up to bring people back. There apparently are large contingencies of New Yorkers that just decided to rent homes and deal with the quarantine. Their guess from what they are hearing is that it will be lifted fully in either August or September. 

Remains to be seen.  🤩.    The “opening “ has been far longer than initially anticipated.     

The 14 day self quarantine is lifted as of August 1, 2020, with a negative Covid 19 test result 72 hours prior to arrival.

That is fine for me on my business trips, but I'm not going to get my DW, 3 kids, 5 grandkids, 2 parents and my sister's family tested just for the privilege of visiting HI. We'll cancel our annual trip and go to Mexico, Yosemite or Deer Valley instead.

39 minutes ago, scottca075 said:

The 14 day self quarantine is lifted as of August 1, 2020, with a negative Covid 19 test result 72 hours prior to arrival.

That is fine for me on my business trips, but I'm not going to get my DW, 3 kids, 5 grandkids, 2 parents and my sister's family tested just for the privilege of visiting HI. We'll cancel our annual trip and go to Mexico, Yosemite or Deer Valley instead.

In regards to the 14 quarantine vs negative Covid test, its my understanding you still have to do one or the other. I can't find that the 14 quarantine requirement is totally ending. Do you have an official source?

9 hours ago, CruiserBruce said:

In regards to the 14 quarantine vs negative Covid test, its my understanding you still have to do one or the other. I can't find that the 14 quarantine requirement is totally ending. Do you have an official source?

According to the Governor's speech yesterday and the Maui News/Maui Now today, a negative Covid test no more than 72 hours old can be used instead of a 14-day quarantine to enter Hawaii from out of state/country.  No proof of negative test result will mean quarantine or leaving Hawaii.

9 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

According to the Governor's speech yesterday and the Maui News/Maui Now today, a negative Covid test no more than 72 hours old can be used instead of a 14-day quarantine to enter Hawaii from out of state/country.  No proof of negative test result will mean quarantine or leaving Hawaii.

Good to know.