Has anyone received a cash refund for cancelled overseas flights?

4 hours ago, Esilef said:

that’s the main part of the jigsaw.

river cruise was with 1 travel agent which has now been transferred to March next year.

we booked all Qantas classic rewards seats via Qantas.

we then used another travel agent to book the polish airways flights from Budapest to London and also 2 seats on the return flight from London to Melbourne via China eastern airlines.

KLM was booked directly.

plus there is accommodation that was booked that can’t be cancelled.

with the new revised plans in March we are planning on just using Qantas classic rewards seats/points. Staying in accommodation for 7 nights at a time with free cancellation. River cruise is via the same agent. If it all goes wrong again cancelling should be easy.

That must have been a lot of work organising your trip.  How did you book accommodation?  I was surprised to receive a full refund for Melbourne non refundable accommodation, booked through a wholesaler.  The wholesaler said it was up to hotel and the hotel agreed to a full refund.  Qantas and Virgin only gave credits for Melbourne trip.  

3 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Hi Bazzaw,

Were your flights with Hawaiian and Air Canada cancelled by the airlines? I'm asking as I have flights booked thru what sounds like the same TA (FC?). with same Airlines, Auckland to Honolulu on Hawaiian and Honolulu to Vancouver on Air Canada in August/September but I've heard nothing from TA. Any advice you can give would be welcome, thank you.

Yes - all that!!! I originally some months ago went to FC and found that the TA I had booked through was actually in japan 🙂 = on holiday ) - but the person I spoke to noted that the fares were "non-refundable" and said thatshe would advise the TA applicable when she returned. After that , of course everything turned to custard - and I didn't follow it up in any way. A week or so ago, I received an email for mFC that encouraged me to contact them again ( by phone) - oh the lady you are seeking is away at the moment, I will ask he to call you back - 10 minutes later, a phone call form the TA and she said she was "just about to call me) - my refund had been approved and would arrive soon - same day I received an email from FC confirming all this and providing a cancellation receipt Number . Havent got the money yet but that was only 4 days ago with a weekend inbetween. I have to say that I haven't had many dealings with FC over the years bit in this case , they knew my exact position and date time of my communications exactly !!! I didn't hear anything from the TA - I did have to contact them to discuss the possibility of a refund. 

2 hours ago, bazzaw said:

Yes - all that!!! I originally some months ago went to FC and found that the TA I had booked through was actually in japan 🙂 = on holiday ) - but the person I spoke to noted that the fares were "non-refundable" and said thatshe would advise the TA applicable when she returned. After that , of course everything turned to custard - and I didn't follow it up in any way. A week or so ago, I received an email for mFC that encouraged me to contact them again ( by phone) - oh the lady you are seeking is away at the moment, I will ask he to call you back - 10 minutes later, a phone call form the TA and she said she was "just about to call me) - my refund had been approved and would arrive soon - same day I received an email from FC confirming all this and providing a cancellation receipt Number . Havent got the money yet but that was only 4 days ago with a weekend inbetween. I have to say that I haven't had many dealings with FC over the years bit in this case , they knew my exact position and date time of my communications exactly !!! I didn't hear anything from the TA - I did have to contact them to discuss the possibility of a refund. 

Can I ask what dates were your flights and where you were flying from/to?

4 hours ago, MMDown Under said:

That must have been a lot of work organising your trip.  How did you book accommodation?  I was surprised to receive a full refund for Melbourne non refundable accommodation, booked through a wholesaler.  The wholesaler said it was up to hotel and the hotel agreed to a full refund.  Qantas and Virgin only gave credits for Melbourne trip.  

We used time shared credits making it difficult to cancel 

13 hours ago, phoenixx said:

Can I ask what dates were your flights and where you were flying from/to?

Air Canada AC0519 on 12 Jun to Honolulu and Hawaiaan Ailines HA0443 0n 16 Jun to Brisbane.   Money arrived in my CC account this morning. So basically got all hotel and airline costs back - "just" still waiting for Cunard!!! 😞 

• Like 3

On 6/14/2020 at 10:16 AM, fairywren said:

We were going to fly to Europe in May, but cancelled in March requesting a full refund due to not being able to fly out of Australia. Qatar Airlines took some time processing it but we finally received the full amount directly into my credit card. Very happy with Qatar's service as they kept me informed during the process.

You were lucky.

We cancelled with Qatar mid April and promised refund within 30 days. Since then many calls and promises and "call back in a week" etc, no contact from Qatar until 2 weeks ago when I received an email asking if we want a refund or a credit and to reply immediately. I did point out in the reply that it has been several weeks since the refund was requested. 10 days later they advised that the refund has been approved with a warning "please note that it may take up to 28 days for the amount to appear on your bank statement and in the unlikely event that your refund is not credited after 28 days, please reply to this email" so it will be at least 90 days before we see the refund for 4 tickets to Europe from Qatar.

Not impressed with the lack of communication from them and the fact that they are still not willing to refund any time soon. 

I'll add my experience with Qantas and trying to get refunds. I booked full-refund fares around January and February, planning to take a cruise from Sydney but also planning to fly to NZ in May and stay for a few weeks to see family. Qantas sent me a personalised (read, targetted) double status credits offer so I went ahead and booked a few options for NZ, not knowing exactly which dates I'd travel as I was trying to fit in with a family event, the date of which wasn't fixed due to factors out of our control. So I booked the 'full-refund' fares knowing that very soon I would know when I had to travel and cancel for refund the flights I didn't need.

I realised pretty quickly that I wouldn't be travelling at all and cancelled all the flights in mid-March - ever since I have been having a nightmare time contacting Qantas via various routes (they have removed from their website a lot of their contact information). So far, I have received 2 out of 8 refunds due. I have a lot of money tied up with them, money that I thought would be returned quickly. And every time I contact them they tell me it will  be two months; and then I contact them again and again and more months go past.

I'm so disgusted with them. I've been a loyal Qantas frequent flyer for many years but that doesn't matter at all to Qantas. I won't fly with them again unless there's no alternative (and there always is).

We had our Hawaiian air return flights refunded in full very quickly. 
our Ovation cruise was Honolulu to Vancouver, which we took the 125 per cent FCC.

however it seems our Westjet flight from Vancouver back to Honolulu ( we were staying another week there) is credit only. 

Hi mm down under.

its not that I don’t believe you however where can I find this information about Sydney to Vancouver flights ONLY, 

Our T/A 2 days ago didn’t mention it. We were set to go direct Brisbane to Vancouver in 2021.

Regards bob

31 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Hi mm down under.

its not that I don’t believe you however where can I find this information about Sydney to Vancouver flights ONLY, 

Our T/A 2 days ago didn’t mention it. We were set to go direct Brisbane to Vancouver in 2021.

Regards bob

Good idea to check with Air Canada direct.  My friend has a cancelled flight in July, 2020 with Air Canada from Brisbane to Vancouver return.  She has only been offered a credit in 2021 via Sydney on two business class tickets.  I would be wary of buying tickets with Air Canada in advance because of their refund conditions, although a member of CC has now been offered a refund on his flights (post 30). 

Hi. Our travel partners just checked with their t/a and were told that the Brisbane flight is only out now because of no business at the present moment thus why they are only going from Sydney.

They were told that the Brisbane flights will be up and running in 2021.

The refunds situation is interesting though, we were told by fc that this won’t happen.

cheers bob. ( Gold Coast )

12 minutes ago, portcbob said:

Hi. Our travel partners just checked with their t/a and were told that the Brisbane flight is only out now because of no business at the present moment thus why they are only going from Sydney.

They were told that the Brisbane flights will be up and running in 2021.

The refunds situation is interesting though, we were told by fc that this won’t happen.

cheers bob. ( Gold Coast )

That is not what my friends were told.  They were told their credit for 2021 would be via Sydney.

I'm hoping, with Air Canada now providing a cash refund (Post 30), my friends will receive a cash refund for their business class tickets after the date of their cancelled flight mid July, 2020.  I will post here if they do.  

I would get something in writing from Air Canada on flights from Brisbane to Vancouver in 2021 and their cash refund policy, before I would consider flying with them.  

On 6/15/2020 at 3:04 PM, MMDown Under said:

I received an email today from Qantas offering me a refund, in lieu of credit given, if I wished.  (There were details attached from Consumer Affairs.)  

On 6/17/2020 at 9:22 PM, LittleFish1976 said:

I'll add my experience with Qantas and trying to get refunds. I booked full-refund fares around January and February, planning to take a cruise from Sydney but also planning to fly to NZ in May and stay for a few weeks to see family. Qantas sent me a personalised (read, targetted) double status credits offer so I went ahead and booked a few options for NZ, not knowing exactly which dates I'd travel as I was trying to fit in with a family event, the date of which wasn't fixed due to factors out of our control. So I booked the 'full-refund' fares knowing that very soon I would know when I had to travel and cancel for refund the flights I didn't need.

I realised pretty quickly that I wouldn't be travelling at all and cancelled all the flights in mid-March - ever since I have been having a nightmare time contacting Qantas via various routes (they have removed from their website a lot of their contact information). So far, I have received 2 out of 8 refunds due. I have a lot of money tied up with them, money that I thought would be returned quickly. And every time I contact them they tell me it will  be two months; and then I contact them again and again and more months go past.

I'm so disgusted with them. I've been a loyal Qantas frequent flyer for many years but that doesn't matter at all to Qantas. I won't fly with them again unless there's no alternative (and there always is).

I just caught something on the news today that Qantas has been pressured (don't know by whom) into giving  refunds instead of credits for COVID cancellations. I missed the detail so will have to watch the news tonight to find out more.

8 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I just caught something on the news today that Qantas has been pressured (don't know by whom) into giving  refunds instead of credits for COVID cancellations. I missed the detail so will have to watch the news tonight to find out more.

We received a credit from Qantas for a June domestic flight, no refund offered. It was due to originally to expire in February 2021 but we received an email yesterday saying that it will now expire in December 2022.

Leigh

1 hour ago, possum52 said:

We received a credit from Qantas for a June domestic flight, no refund offered. It was due to originally to expire in February 2021 but we received an email yesterday saying that it will now expire in December 2022.

Leigh

Write to Mr Joyce, Leigh. Demand a refund in real $$$$$.  Good luck.  What good is a credit if things happen and you don't use the credit? 

28 minutes ago, NSWP said:

Write to Mr Joyce, Leigh. Demand a refund in real $$$$$.  Good luck.  What good is a credit if things happen and you don't use the credit? 

At the moment we think we will probably use the credit to fly interstate. With 30 months to use it, we have plenty of time. But if we were offered a refund we would accept it.

Leigh

29 minutes ago, possum52 said:

At the moment we think we will probably use the credit to fly interstate. With 30 months to use it, we have plenty of time. But if we were offered a refund we would accept it.

Leigh

I think if everyone wanted a refund the airline might go belly up, I will keep the credits as I know I will use them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lyndarra said:

It was on the NBN News just a moment ago. The ACCC has chastised Qantas for not offering refunds. It was announced that Qantas will now contact customers and offer refunds. We shall wait and see what happens as myself and a friend had to cancel flights  to US due to COVID.

I received an email from Qantas stating that our domestic flight in late July was changed from lunch to evening. I took the opportunity to cancel the flight as we now don't want to use it due to COVID. Online I could only get a credit. To get a refund, I had to phone them. My 1st attempt dropped out after 1 hour. My 2nd attempt the next day got answered after 1 hour 20 minutes. After I said the time change wasn't suitable, I was told a refund would come to my bank a/c in 8 to 10 weeks!  

Brian

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bvm49 said:

I received an email from Qantas stating that our domestic flight in late July was changed from lunch to evening. I took the opportunity to cancel the flight as we now don't want to use it due to COVID. Online I could only get a credit. To get a refund, I had to phone them. My 1st attempt dropped out after 1 hour. My 2nd attempt the next day got answered after 1 hour 20 minutes. After I said the time change wasn't suitable, I was told a refund would come to my bank a/c in 8 to 10 weeks!  

Brian

And my experience with the current state of Qantas refunds is that they will tell you 8-10 weeks (or whatever they happen to say on that day) and then in 12 weeks or so you'll try to chase them up and they'll will tell you another '8-10 weeks'. I've been waiting for refunds since March for flights that were booked as 'full refund possible' fares. I had 8 flights booked; I have had only two refunded. One in April and one in May. I have chased them a number of times. I feel sure that it will take the rest of the year.

Personally, I find their way of handling this very disappointing (in fact, disgusting). As a company, I understand they have cash flow issues but they have also received a huge bail out from the Federal government. To be holding out paying individuals who, like myself, have had their own income vastly reduced (wiped out) during the current economic difficulties is unconscionable, in my opinion.

I won't bother flying with Qantas in future, if there is an alternative available to me for where I need to get to. How companies, and that includes cruise lines, have treated their customers during this mess will shape how their former customers respond to them in future.