You are not sailing this year at all. Lets stop the illusion

3 minutes ago, jingle5616 said:

While I agree that I'm not going to hide away and will use precautions, one of those precautions is to not place myself on a floating petri dish.  

Ditto....

Although it seems NYC will be the last place to fully open, I just told DH (who disagrees with me) that once "I can"...I "will do"...but using precautions and not being stupid.  My life, as it is now, is merely existing.  Cruising (although I have a 9/21 cruise booked) is a "not now" thing.  If I still can't sail by 9/21....I think I'd be dead of boredom by that time.

6 hours ago, Love my butler said:

The sky is falling!  The sky is falling!  You sound like the Fake News Media.

if you are not thinking this is a major issue when almost 120,000 people have died in the USA in 3 months and the States that opened early are getting hit badly again (so more deaths unnecessarily) I guess nothing will phase you

117,000 deaths in 3 months in USA

2.12 Million cases reported in USA

20 states have had cases risen and some to new record highs since reopening before achieving  the government documented recommendations

USA is 4% of the world population but have over 30% of the cases

I would rather do research and look at facts then argue with you with what is fake and what is real

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, jingle5616 said:

While I agree that I'm not going to hide away and will use precautions, one of those precautions is to not place myself on a floating petri dish.  

YES !!!  

1 hour ago, jingle5616 said:

I guess there are two sides to this - people who will go if possible and take the 'risk' (whatever that turns out to be), and others like you point out who will not take that 'risk'.  Different people have different risk tolerances.  Given the ships won't be able to sail full if they get going, (because of social distancing etc.), it's probably best that not everyone wants to get on!

Edited by podgeandrodge
  • Like 4

I/we dream of, love to, want to, wish to, like to, hope to and enjoy cruising.  Given the harsh realities and medical, scientific and global facts with the latest data - we recognized and come to accepted the most likely scenario that we aren't booking a cruise anytime soon, probably not even last minute with the unknown on Covid-19.  

We are in NYC and most of us are less than 1 hour from the cruise terminal - been that way for 20 years.  We've travel, flown/cruise during the SARS days and other "localized" outbreak including Avian & Swine flu.  This one, alas, is different - very different, watch the hospitalization and ICU admission numbers very closely in your county and locality, not ours as we got it, mostly & got a better handle on matters. 

Read this article in the link: CNBC - story about many of the critical ill patients that a multi-disciplinary teams of 40 doctors & nurses that returned from NYC after providing mutual aid across the country.  "Patients were in their 40s and 50s" and not all recovered from their induced coma while sedated. 

Ignore the data in the U.S. for a moment, go take another look at the new cases reported in South Korea, China and Singapore, etc. - along with concerns about virus mutations, making it 10X more infectious - "D614G mutation 'of urgent concern' because it had become by far the most common strain spreading in Europe and the US." 

My advice to the diehards: update your advanced directives, healthcare proxies, last wills, and be sure you have an appointed legal guardian to look after your affairs ... Over the decades, I've seen far too many cases doing palliative and bereavement work of folks not having them.  Many died alone from Covid-19 without a chance of getting end-of-life comfort and hospice care ... and you can forget doing Facetime onboard the ship to even say goodbye.  Feel free to dream about cruising this year, for your convenience, of course.  

It's Sunday, our private backyard garden is open - a nice, sunny day and comfortable summer temperature ... not as nice as the Garden Villa or DOS - but, with a nice chilled French-Vietnamese latte in hand - it is all good with 2 loungers under the shades. 

Edited by mking8288
  • Like 11
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

I guess there are two sides to this - people who will go if possible and take the 'risk' (whatever that turns out to be), and others like you point out who will not take that 'risk'.  Different people have different risk tolerances.  Given the ships won't be able to sail full if they get going, (because of social distancing etc.), it's probably best that not everyone wants to get on!

I'm ready to stowaway on a ship....I'm so bored, but:

Even if someone is open to getting sick and dying, and spreading their germs....hopefully the cruise lines won't see it that way.   I  hate to inform you...NCL doesn't care about your personal happiness.  They care about the business existing and making a profit.  Reduced capacity...unless the prices rise....will result in a loss.

Personally...and for my life...since we were a major "protest hub"....I'm waiting to see the statistics in 1-2 months.  If there's no significant rise here, I reserve the right to change my mind.

• Like 3

Interesting thread on exactly why temp checks are not going to be enough. Open to read the whole thread but in summary asymptotic spread is a huge problem. Will be worse on a ship.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, podgeandrodge said:

Some have bought into this "floating petri dish"   regarding cruises. even those that have been on several . i have been on over 17 and not once have i been sick on one other than a headache for a day or so from hurricane storms. could it happen? sure. it could also happen at my local supermarket or restaurant i pick up food from.  

I would feel more confident on a cruise with them thoroughly cleaning around the clock ,knowing what is going on with covid. Then i would feel shopping around my area. 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Trimone said:

Spring 2021, get use to it, been says this date since March 2020, I know personally at the highest level in the industry, not just NCL, in truth they have no answers.
Just suggestions and brick walls !

spring 2021?  is this all over the world you are talking about or just uk or just the usa? 

Edited by seaman11
  • Like 1

That's cool if you are not comfortable cruising this year. Myself, I am ready as soon as I can. I am retired so if I get stuck on a ship, it will be ok. My house is paid off as is my car. Utilities are paid directly from my checking acct, so.. .

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

spring 2021?  is this all over the world you are talking about or just uk or just the usa? 

It can not be correct - if it goes that long the world will be bankrupt! 

As you know we do not agree with August (although I hope you get your cruise and I am wrong)  I suspect it is late September 2020. But we are all guessing really. 

Edited by bmwman
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, sverigecruiser said:

The rest of the passengers on the ship have obviously also been willing to risk getting sick. 

Wow. So I guess that makes it okay?  Everyone who gets in their car each day takes the risk that they could be in an accident, so I guess it makes it okay if you crash into another car and hurt them?  I mean, they knew it could happen right?  😮  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

Wow. So I guess that makes it okay?  Everyone who gets in their car each day takes the risk that they could be in an accident, so I guess it makes it okay if you crash into another car and hurt them?  I mean, they knew it could happen right?  😮  

I dont think thats a good anology pancakes. Because no one should be going onboard knowing they have covid or symptoms.  Or  purposely getting others sick.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

I dont think thats a good anology pancakes. Because no one should be going onboard knowing they have covid or symptoms.  Or  purposely getting others sick.  

But unfortunately many people don't know when they have Covid but are spreading it around.  And you know temperature checks don't help - I passed mine. 👍🙁

I'm just responding to the poster who implied that we don't need to worry about infecting others on the ship because if they got onboard then they were willing to assume the risk. 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

But unfortunately many people don't know when they have Covid but are spreading it around.  And you know temperature checks don't help - I passed mine. 👍🙁

I'm just responding to the poster who implied that we don't need to worry about infecting others on the ship because if they got onboard then they were willing to assume the risk. 

yes i agree, but that is unknowingly, not equal to crashing your car into someone.  i just thought the analogy you used was off, thats all.  

i think the new policy of getting a full credit if you cant sail will help a lot in vetting ppl . i also think there is going to be a risk , just with anything in life.  

there is a rally set for june 20th in oklahoma , there will be 200k ppl attending and they have to sign a covid waiver to attend. perhaps cruises can have pax sign a waiver that they know the risks of possibly getting covid aboard? 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

i think the new policy of getting a full credit if you cant sail will help a lot in vetting ppl .

the problem is, that if 1 person of a family of 4 is sick, ONLY he gets a credit. if the others dont go, they lose their money

I could be wrong about this but I think thats what I read

its not a very good policy

13 minutes ago, seaman11 said:

yes i agree, but that is unknowingly, not equal to crashing your car into someone.  i just thought the analogy you used was off, thats all.  

i think the new policy of getting a full credit if you cant sail will help a lot in vetting ppl . i also think there is going to be a risk , just with anything in life.  

there is a rally set for june 20th in oklahoma , there will be 200k ppl attending and they have to sign a covid waiver to attend. perhaps cruises can have pax sign a waiver that they know the risks of possibly getting covid aboard? 

I think the cruiselines should.  It's impossible for them to eradicate risks, yet people will be happy to sue them if they catch the virus.  You'd sign a disclaimer for a dangerous sport, so it makes a bit of sense.  (Not saying cruising has yet become a dangerous sport!).

• Like 1

Kinda like those medical waivers we used to have to sign saying we weren’t sick? Because there was ever a person ever who checked YES when they read checking YES would deny boarding. 

Voluntary questionnaires are useless. It’s just a liability waiver form for the cruise lines. Like a woman checks off she’s not pregnant, god forbid goes into labor on the cruise and something bad happens. Cruise line can say “she declared she wasn’t pregnant” and not be sued. 

1 minute ago, MrMike45 said:

Kinda like those medical waivers we used to have to sign saying we weren’t sick? Because there was ever a person ever who checked YES when they read checking YES would deny boarding. 

Voluntary questionnaires are useless. It’s just a liability waiver form for the cruise lines. Like a woman checks off she’s not pregnant, god forbid goes into labor on the cruise and something bad happens. Cruise line can say “she declared she wasn’t pregnant” and not be sued. 

Yep, just a liability waiver.  I was only advocating it in terms of what the cruise lines should do to mitigate being sued, as long as the pandemic exists without a vaccine or treatment, if they get going, they will have to protect themselves from the potential of unlimited liability to passengers who choose to get on.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcakes122 said:

I never said that we don't need to worry about infecting others. I do however think that if people cruise when there is a risk to be infected they only have themself to blame if someone infect them. It's noones fault so the only one to blame is the person taking the risk to go on the cruise.

• Like 3

On 6/13/2020 at 9:38 AM, mscdivina2016 said:

Steve

Steve, I was just wondering what you think the restart time frame will be if not this year?

I just put a deposit on a March 2021.  I think I found a good deal in among a lot of price hikes when shopping across my preferred lines.  I was hesitant to make the deposit but did it anyway...

26 minutes ago, sverigecruiser said:

I never said that we don't need to worry about infecting others. I do however think that if people cruise when there is a risk to be infected they only have themself to blame if someone infect them. It's noones fault so the only one to blame is the person taking the risk to go on the cruise.

Great, it's not your fault so why should you feel bad that you infected them? It's their own fault!  In fact, why bother wearing masks when we go out? People know there is a risk if they leave their house. It's their own fault if they get sick!

A debate is pointless in this case. A sense of social responsibility is either something people have or they don't.

• Like 4

Sometimes my husband will say things he knows will make me mad just to jab at me or get a reaction.  It's taken me a while but I've learned not to fall into his trap.  He was getting way too much free entertainment out of it....

If I didn't know better, I'd swear he was on this board!

Edited by Georgia_Peaches
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

55 minutes ago, MrMike45 said:

thats true however this time they would not lose the cruise fare if they did so that could help and also if not feeling well 3 days out they can cancel and get fcc, also if seen sneezing and coughing would be pulled aside and denied boarding.  sure this is only a liability waiver, but if thats what it takes to go to a 200k person rally or get onboard then ppl will do it.  it is not full proof of anyone lying i agree. 

however if you are waiting for a 100 percent guarantee you will be staying home mike for a long while.