Is anyone concerned about traveling to Seattle for a cruise?

I wonder if anyone is concerned about the violence and anarchy in Seattle, or any other major city like NYC or London  as far as going there for a cruise in the future? As for myself, I would not travel to Seattle or London if you paid me. And, for me this is more about safety than politics. I am very concerned that this worldwide unrest is going to be another reason that cruising is a long way from returning to normal anytime soon. Would be interested in your thoughts.

Since our cruise out of Seattle was cancelled, twice, and we already moved our flights once so they are now only changeable with a large fee, we are going to spend a week in Seattle at the end of July. I dont think much will be open so we plan to focus on Mt Rainer but I am personally not too concerned. Our airbnb is not in the Capital Hill area and I dont necessarily agree that the people there are dangerous. Taking it too far? Maybe. Do I want to stay in that neighborhood? Not really, But it doesnt make me afraid of Seattle. 

Edited by firstsailor
  • Like 5

15 minutes ago, firstsailor said:

Since our cruise out of Seattle was cancelled, twice, and we already moved our flights once so they are now only changeable with a large fee, we are going to spend a week in Seattle at the end of July. I dont think much will be open so we plan to focus on Mt Rainer but I am personally not too concerned. Our airbnb is not in the Capital Hill area and I dont necessarily agree that the people there are dangerous. Taking it too far? Maybe. Do I want to stay in that neighborhood? Not really, But it doesnt make me afraid of Seattle. 

There are many places to visit outside of Seattle, including Mount Rainier.  The lodging and restaurants in Mount Rainier National Park have not yet reopened.  The most popular entrance to the park, the Nisqually entrance, has just reopened.  Mount Rainier would be a great day trip even if the park is not fully open.  The end of July is generally our nicest summer weather.  Consider visiting the Olympic Peninsula for amazing scenery and picturesque small towns.  Two of my favorite state parks - Fort Flagler State Park and Fort Worden State Park are just a ferry ride and short drive from Seattle.  Both parks have lighthouses, low bank waterfront and beaches, forests and trails.  Nearby Port Townsend has numerous lodging options and is a picture-postcard fun place to visit.  If you enjoy the outdoors, travel another hour west to Port Angeles and do the drive into Olympic National Park to Hurricane Ridge.   You should be in time for mountain wildflowers and the best of views.

The outdoors a good place to be during the time of Covid.

• Like 6

My mom lives in an assisted living facility in Ballard (north of downtown) and my brother lives at the north end of Lake Washington.  They say it's business as usual except the 6 blocks on Capital Hill, which when I lived there, was just a bunch of coffee shops and hippies.  Otherwise, you wouldn't know anything was going on in Seattle.  It's not like the whole city is taken over (yet).  Lots of people live there who don't even pay attention to this stuff. If you are afraid to travel, do yourself a favor and stay home.

• Like 6

My daughter’s friend went up to Capital Hill yesterday and said it was peaceful. Lots of art, music, food, almost like a street fair.

If anybody has been to Copenhagen, there is a place called Christiania. Sounds very much like it. 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, PNW Traveler said:

There are many places to visit outside of Seattle, including Mount Rainier.  The lodging and restaurants in Mount Rainier National Park have not yet reopened.  The most popular entrance to the park, the Nisqually entrance, has just reopened.  Mount Rainier would be a great day trip even if the park is not fully open.  The end of July is generally our nicest summer weather.  Consider visiting the Olympic Peninsula for amazing scenery and picturesque small towns.  Two of my favorite state parks - Fort Flagler State Park and Fort Worden State Park are just a ferry ride and short drive from Seattle.  Both parks have lighthouses, low bank waterfront and beaches, forests and trails.  Nearby Port Townsend has numerous lodging options and is a picture-postcard fun place to visit.  If you enjoy the outdoors, travel another hour west to Port Angeles and do the drive into Olympic National Park to Hurricane Ridge.   You should be in time for mountain wildflowers and the best of views.

The outdoors a good place to be during the time of Covid.

Thank you so much for this info! We love the outdoors and are excited to visit your part of the country (coming from Michigan) I will be sure to take this info with us! 🙂

• Like 1

We have cruised from Seattle several times and visited the city for a vacation a couple of times.   My biggest concern with Seattle is the exorbitant prices for a quality hotel room.  There do often seem to be some type of protests going on somewhere in the city over some topic.   But I believe the same thing happens often in Rome, Barcelona, Paris, Washington DC, etc.   So just avoid those few areas in the city and all is well.  If I was planning to visit Seattle this summer, I would go.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, eaflorida said:

I wonder if anyone is concerned about the violence and anarchy in Seattle, or any other major city like NYC or London  as far as going there for a cruise in the future? As for myself, I would not travel to Seattle or London if you paid me. And, for me this is more about safety than politics. I am very concerned that this worldwide unrest is going to be another reason that cruising is a long way from returning to normal anytime soon. Would be interested in your thoughts.

I spent the majority of my life living in NYC.I cannot recall a time when there was no looting going on there.There have been protest marches going back to the 60’s.However,for me it is the greatest city in the world.

I have a cousin who relocated from NYC to Seattle and he has no plans to leave there.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, eaflorida said:

As cruises don’t sail from London you would not actually need to go into London to sail from England.

• Like 2

We were scheduled to cruise out of Seattle for our 4th Alaska cruise mid-September, which we cancelled in March since we weren't optimistic it would be possible.  Glad we did and got a full refund.

Our previous cruises, two were out of Seattle, one was out of Vancouver. We stayed at the hotel attached to Canada Place, right at the cruise port.

The "activities" recently in Seattle helped me decide that any future Alaska cruises, and I do hope to have one more, will NOT be from Seattle, but we will spend our money in Vancouver, so it may be awhile.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, eaflorida said:

This is a joke right?

If you are lucky the CHOP area will still be there when you cruise. Then they can add it to your tour as it looks like a tourist site now. 

Edited by PCWalton1
  • Like 2

Seattle is a big city.  The "6 block area" is not near the cruise port docks, either the downtown dock or Smith Cove dock farther north.  People live downtown, go to work, and life goes on.  If you cruise from Seattle you do not have to book a hotel downtown.  There are many other options.  If I were arriving at SeaTac airport for my cruise and wanted a nice hotel for a precruise overnight - I would choose Cedarbrook Lodge near the airport.  It has classic Northwest architecture, superb food, upscale ambiance and the best of service.   If I wanted to tour the area I would visit the outdoor gems that reflect the magnificent scenery of the Northwest.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, blueridgemama said:

You know there is enough us against them in the news and on social media, this is a cruise forum and I think we should stick to cruise related topics and leave the politics alone.

I am sorry if some of you view a legitimate question about safety and security for some of us older cruisers in a city or cities that have or had violent demonstrations or riots a couple of weeks ago. In particular, images on TV of the Mid Town Manhattan violence and looting would cause me to most likely not consider taking a cruise out of NYC at this time.