Anyone have experience with Viator?

Petoonya

A vendor for Bora Bora didn't return a $300 payment this last spring for an excursion that I canceled due to a canceled cruise. I canceled the tour same day the cruise was canceled March 12. It's OK- I know they are hurting over there and often times have nothing to repay with. But it still stung a bit as there was never an explanation or apology. It's a vendor I've highly recommended, used twice before and have had rave reviews from those who used him subsequently. I emailed him a couple months ago saying I could not give him advance payment again when we return. So I used Viator to book him as well as another vendor I like in Moorea. Viator will refund your payment as long as you cancel 24 hours before. The trick is that some of the tours do not mention the vendor on Viator but I was able to find the those I was looking for.

Has anyone used Viator before and did you find it that it went as smoothly as booking direct? This is the first time I tried this.

Thanks.

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

A vendor for Bora Bora didn't return a $300 payment this last spring for an excursion that I canceled due to a canceled cruise. I canceled the tour same day the cruise was canceled March 12. It's OK- I know they are hurting over there and often times have nothing to repay with. But it still stung a bit as there was never an explanation or apology. It's a vendor I've highly recommended, used twice before and have had rave reviews from those who used him subsequently. I emailed him a couple months ago saying I could not give him advance payment again when we return. So I used Viator to book him as well as another vendor I like in Moorea. Viator will refund your payment as long as you cancel 24 hours before. The trick is that some of the tours do not mention the vendor on Viator but I was able to find the those I was looking for.

Has anyone used Viator before and did you find it that it went as smoothly as booking direct? This is the first time I tried this.

Thanks.

Never have but I was fortunate that every vendor I booked and have a deposit or paid in full and then cancelled because of the cruise being cut short either refunded the full amount or credited it to a new booking for my next trip. Have you asked the vendor simply to move the funds to a new excursion date? My guess is your likely correct and they simply don't have the money so they avoid contact. wording the request so your simply asking for the funds to be placed on a new excursion date may work and you will get a response.

30 minutes ago, Mercruiser said:

We have used Viator on several occasions for tours within Europe.  I have not had any problems with Viator. 

Thanks Mercruiser. Were you happy with the quality of the tours you experienced? Did the Viator listing tell you what company you were booking with?

@delaware32 Delaware.....wasn't sure if you meant aggravator or aggregator. Guess I'd prefer an aggregator ;} Really good to hear such positive news. I won't worry.

Edited by Petoonya

14 hours ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks Mercruiser. Were you happy with the quality of the tours you experienced? Did the Viator listing tell you what company you were booking with?

We were happy with the quality of the tours. We went for small group tours that had lots of good ratings. We were happy with all of them, but we read the Viator listing carefully. Of course, there are literally dozens to hundreds of companies that offer tours in European cities and lots of reviews. Probably not the case with Viator in FP.

For the most part, the Europe listings did not say who the tour operator was. You figured that out when they sent the tour contact details. We only booked tours that were cancelled 24 hours in advance. 

@Mercruiser

Thanks again. I was fortunate that the two tours I booked listed the operator and both were ones I wanted. I like the 24 hour cancel feature. And you're right- not the selection in FP. Although found one for gay nude tours 😉 Delighted to book with with LGBT but not nude. Makes me worry a tiny bit as the cruise I've booked has a big group on board.

• 4 weeks later...

We have used Viator in Italy and in Taiwan.  Multiple times on each vacation.  Always been a great experience and the quality of the tours were top notch.  It also looks like Marriott has teamed up with Viator on their activities.marriott.com site.  Prices of the tours are the same on either site but when you book on the Marriott activities site, you earn Marriott points that go to free night stays.

• 1 month later...

You can trust Viator. But I try to avoid them. While the price might be the same (same tour, same outfit), Viator keeps between 15% and 30% of the fee. That is why a Tour Company I know  in Moorea refuse to used them to bring tourist.

• 1 month later...