WE NEED TO CRUISE!!!

Carol28

This is our 4th month of self-quarantining.  We're going stir-crazy!  We pick-up lunch and have dinner delivered on the weekends.  That's our big excitement! We need to cruise! Obviously, we could be in much worse condition. We're healthy and sane and happily married.  But, both of us want to be cruising! We need the company, the entertainment, the smell of the ocean, the glitz, the reason to get dressed.

Thanks.  I just needed to vent.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, Carol28 said:

But, both of us want to be cruising! We need the company, the entertainment, the smell of the ocean, the glitz, the reason to get dressed.

Carol28, I hear you!  We're in the same "boat" together!

If there is one thing I dream of, then it will be to gather all of you guys and go on cruise. After like dozens of threads discussing the current situation and getting to know each and every of you, I wish we could meet up at a bar on board a cruiser and just have a nice civil talk about it in person 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

If there is one thing I dream of, then it will be to gather all of you guys and go on cruise. After like dozens of threads discussing the current situation and getting to know each and every of you, I wish we could meet up at a bar on board a cruiser and just have a nice civil talk about it in person 

👍👍👍

May it be sooner rather than later!

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

As different vacation spots slowly open up,,, beaches, vegas, resorts,,, the cruise lines will get their chance. And it will be sooner than people are "predicting". 

With 1,000 people dying in the US with Covid every day I cannot see cruises starting up without a vaccine. Another breakout on a ship and deaths that mar would be the end of cruising

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, memoak said:

With 1,000 people dying in the US with Covid every day I cannot see cruises starting up without a vaccine. Another breakout on a ship and deaths that mar would be the end of cruising

Which has more social distancing...Your normal cruise or all of the recent marches and protests across the country and around the world?

• Like 7

55 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

Which has more social distancing...Your normal cruise or all of the recent marches and protests across the country and around the world?

Both involve personal choices and personal risk assessment.  We are in our late 60’s and early 70’s and we have chosen to cancel our March &2021 South America/Antarctica cruise.  We are very sad because we love cruising, but the saga of the passengers who were on this cruise  year and had such difficulty getting home influenced our decision to cruise.  If and when we should ever choose to cruise again we would like to do it with as few restrictions and worries as possible.  In the meanwhile we have other vacation options to explore.  These are our golden retirement years and we are determined to have as many safe experiences as possible.
    Best wishes to all, no matter which approach you take.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SNJCruisers said:

Both will spread virus however being inside in a crowded situation is even worse than outside crowds. I fully expect more cases to occur as time goes on.  We are not out of this yet despite what the president says.  I had 3 cruises set for 2020 and 2 have been canceled and I expect the last one will also.  Vaccines are the only way we can actually make things safe. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, memoak said:

There's no point telling the truth. They won't listen.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Many on cc are speculating the same thing.  The current flu vaccine is not 100% effective, so who knows?  

No it's not, but it generally provides enough protection to reduce the symptoms if someone gets sick.

3 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

Many on cc are speculating the same thing.  The current flu vaccine is not 100% effective, so who knows?  

COVID-19 is hundreds time more deadly than the common flu.  Want to take a chance ? 

13 minutes ago, memoak said:

COVID-19 is hundreds time more deadly than the common flu. 

No, for people who catch either Covid-19 or the flu, the actual death rate is about the same when you count those who had Covid-19 but presented no symptoms.

What is different is that Covid-19 spreads much more easily than the flu. With more people getting infected, more people die from it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

99.8% survival rate

Where did you get that number?  A 99.8% survival rate implies a 0.2% death rate among COVID-19 cases.

Those numbers do not seem to be related to reality.

According to today's statistics:

• Worldwide,
    • There have been 8,063,195 reported cases of COVID-19.
    • There have been 437,176 reported COVID-19 deaths.
    • Simple arithmetic shows the death rate to be 5.42%, or 27.1 times higher than your reported number.
    • I agree that the death rate that I have calculated may not be totally accurate.  It assumes that everybody who currently has COVID-19 will recover.  I find that highly unlikely.  So, the 5.42% death rate is, actually, a best case scenario.

• The numbers for the United States are comparable,
    • 2.171.679 reported cases.
    • 118,042 reported deaths.
    • 5.44% death rate.

Using your number, if 1,000 people contract COVID-19, only two of them will die.

Worldwide statistics show that for every 1,000 people who have contracted COVID-19, fifty-four of them have died.

Edited by XBGuy

On 6/14/2020 at 10:49 AM, Carol28 said:

This is our 4th month of self-quarantining.  We're going stir-crazy!  We pick-up lunch and have dinner delivered on the weekends.  That's our big excitement! We need to cruise! Obviously, we could be in much worse condition. We're healthy and sane and happily married.  But, both of us want to be cruising! We need the company, the entertainment, the smell of the ocean, the glitz, the reason to get dressed.

Let see if I can get this back on subject. 

Yes, we too really want to cruise as well. Our Alaska cruise that was planned for this August was cancelled. Hubby and I glance at each other the other day and its like he can read my mind. He says, "I know, I want to take a cruise too." Wow. My heart aches to sail.

We know that maybe we might be cruising sometime next year if the planets align. Like many, we are in our mid 60's and know its got to be safe for us to go. Let's all hope its soon.

16 hours ago, memoak said:

COVID-19 is hundreds time more deadly than the common flu.  Want to take a chance ? 

I take a chance every time I go to the grocery.  I take a chance every time I go to my wine store.  I took a chance to get my hair cut.  I take a chance with each doctor's appointment.  

And, every morning, I take a chance that I won't fall while taking a shower.

Life is full of risks, of gambles.  The quality of life depends on how one chooses to deal with those risks.  

• Like 7

1 minute ago, rkacruiser said:

I take a chance every time I go to the grocery.  I take a chance every time I go to my wine store.  I took a chance to get my hair cut.  I take a chance with each doctor's appointment.  

And, every morning, I take a chance that I won't fall while taking a shower.

Life is full of risks, of gambles.  The quality of life depends on how one chooses to deal with those risks.  

You can take any chance you want but every chance you take can affect others. When people gather especially without masks and then go home they can pass virus to family members who will then spread it to others. Wear masks. Avoid group gatherings. And this will pass but it is not over by a long shot. How many hundreds of thousands will die before people wake up

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, memoak said:

Wear masks. Avoid group gatherings. And this will pass but it is not over by a long shot. How many hundreds of thousands will die before people wake up

I do not disagree with your statement.  I wear a mask.  I avoid group gatherings.  Even if my Church is able to resume services, I won't be there.  I have yet to go out to a restaurant for a meal. 

This afternoon, I needed to visit my wine store to replenish my supply.  All of the staff were wearing masks.  NONE of the customers that I observed were other than me.  And, there were a couple who were in the "most at risk" age group.   

• Like 2