US not to open their borders for a long long time?

On the news today it said a White House official stated it wouldn't be weeks but instead long months or possibly until a vaccine is found (surely not right?) when the US will open its borders to internationals from Europe/UK.

If that's true that is really quite sad.

I understand that months could mean 2 months but it really didn't sound that way....the statement sounded pretty long term.

40 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Hasn't canada closed its borders to usa, not the other way around?

It is agreement between both countries , a little research goes along way 

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronavirus-live-updates/2020/05/19/858866151/u-s-canada-agree-to-keep-border-partly-closed-for-another-30-days

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Airbalancer said:

Who has time for research 💁‍♀️?  Thanks for posting.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, amurray88 said:

On the news today it said a White House official stated it wouldn't be weeks but instead long months or possibly until a vaccine is found (surely not right?) when the US will open its borders to internationals from Europe/UK.

I understand that months could mean 2 months but it really didn't sound that way....the statement sounded pretty long term.

While there is a fantasy that a one-time vaccine will be on the market in a few months, that is short cutting a process that usually takes years to ensure that a drug works across the population and is safe. Even if something is found, you need hundreds of millions of doses just for the US. Keeping the boarders is not feasible and they will open.... sooner than people think. 

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

While there is a fantasy that a one-time vaccine will be on the market in a few months, that is short cutting a process that usually takes years to ensure that a drug works across the population and is safe. Even if something is found, you need hundreds of millions of doses just for the US. Keeping the boarders is not feasible and they will open.... sooner than people think. 

Actually Manufacture is a challenge but wont be that bad, already ahead the game in planning and having all supplies ready and on site at the sites. Distribution of the Vaccine/Vaccines will be the issue... Agree, opening Borders and even Cruising will happen before a Vaccine is available for everyone

• Like 1

Astrazeneca has stated they will have 300M US vaccine doses by September. Now, take that for what it is worth. It is most likely a placebo to calm everyone's nerves that they will charge $50-$500 for, everyone will have to take it, and it won't do anything. There will be no true vaccine for 2-3 years assuming they have completed 1st stage trials already. Any vaccine will come with 500-pages of side effects and a waiver clause to take it eliminating liability. It is a complete win/win for any pharmaceutical.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Astrazeneca has stated they will have 300M US vaccine doses by September. Now, take that for what it is worth. It is most likely a placebo to calm everyone's nerves that they will charge $50-$500 for, everyone will have to take it, and it won't do anything. There will be no true vaccine for 2-3 years assuming they have completed 1st stage trials already. Any vaccine will come with 500-pages of side effects and a waiver clause to take it eliminating liability. It is a complete win/win for any pharmaceutical.

Placebo? Nope, The 300 Million doses is of currently tested Vaccine. Will only be Distributed at some date if current Accelerated Testing goes good. As with CV Test and treatments Insurance and Govt been funding it, last I heard even the Vaccine will covered. In other words if Vaccine Fails Drug Company stuck with product cant use. If success they'll make money from Govt and Insurance Companies not Charging us Hundreds a shot. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, bigrednole said:

Astrazeneca has stated they will have 300M US vaccine doses by September. Now, take that for what it is worth. It is most likely a placebo to calm everyone's nerves that they will charge $50-$500 for, everyone will have to take it, and it won't do anything. 

It's illegal to administer a placebo without permission. Even when you do a double blinded study, the participant is aware that they may receive a placebo. 

3 hours ago, amurray88 said:

Why is it sad? I don't see anyone saying it is sad that Australia is shut down for the rest of the year.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bigrednole said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like no cruising for 2-3 years.  And my 500 dollar deposit for my next cruise will go for a worthless placebo.  Maybe I can buy some stock in Astrazeneca and in 2-3 years I will get a Jr. Suite if there are any cruise lines still in business.  This is getting depressing I think I will go to MSNBC for some encouragement.

Edited by leerobbs
typo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

This is Brooklyn today...

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.45.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-14 at 8.47.14 PM.png

All concern for the virus is over...

Cruising can begin as soon as they can get the ships staffed. I'm looking forward to my upcoming cruise on Allure.

Edited by Tree_skier
  • Like 4

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Why is it sad? I don't see anyone saying it is sad that Australia is shut down for the rest of the year.

Who told you Australia is shut down for the rest of the year?

It is at the moment, however there is already talk of travel being permitted between Australia and New Zealand in the not too distant future, with possibly some Pacific islands also on the cards.

I certainly don't think they will be allowing free travel between the Us and Australia any time soon, but as Australia has been much more effective at controlling Covid-19, the restrictions will begin to relax sooner than in other countries that are no as effective.

Edited by Balsam12
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Balsam12 said:

Who told you Australia is shut down for the rest of the year?

It is at the moment, however there is already talk of travel being permitted between Australia and New Zealand in the not too distant future, with possibly some Pacific islands also on the cards.

I certainly don't think they will be allowing free travel between the Us and Australia any time soon, but as Australia has been much more effective at controlling Covid-19, the restrictions will begin to relax sooner than in other countries that are no as effective.

They are shut down to the U.S. for the rest of the year as it stands right now. I should have been more specific in my previous post.

9 hours ago, leerobbs said:

Thanks for the heads up.  Looks like no cruising for 2-3 years.  And my 500 dollar deposit for my next cruise will go for a worthless placebo.  Maybe I can buy some stock in Astrazeneca and in 2-3 years I will get a Jr. Suite if there are any cruise lines still in business.  This is getting depressing I think I will go to MSNBC for some encouragement.

I think you got the wrong channel.  I believe you meant CNBC the business channel as you'll never get encouragement from the other.  

1 hour ago, Ocean Boy said:

They are shut down to the U.S. for the rest of the year as it stands right now. I should have been more specific in my previous post.

Fair enough, however Australia has not put any timeframe on the closure of it's borders. As I said, it's doubtful they will allow US tourists this year, but it hasn't been completely ruled out.

17 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

On the flip side, I believe it will be months if not longer until some of them (Europe/UK) open their borders to the US.

As long as the US remains the global hotspot--and there's no sign of that changing--it's pretty unlikely Americans will be welcomed at many international destinations for some time.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

It's for everyone's protection.  We were the first to shut our borders and probably will be the last ones to open, except for commerce.

I wonder if they'll ever find the Adam or Eve causing this pandemic.  I  saw a program either on the History or Smithsonian channel that identified an individual in Kansas that was the Adam of the Spanish Flu.  

Back on April 16 a newsPaper track where the travel cases in Ontario and Quebec.

Most of the people pick up in the US , probably on the kids school break end of February for Quebec and March 14 for Ontario 

0C7A8F6A-EFA6-4D25-BB01-83332C2D670D.jpeg

Edited by Airbalancer