Jump to content

Breathalyser to detect Covid?


Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, cb at sea said:

I've NEVER been "temperature tested" to go into ANY store...ever.  Into a doctor's office...yes...not ever a retail establishment.

 

Whether it has happened to you or not is irrelevant.  Frontier airlines has been doing it for a month.  Even doing it at a doctor's office is the same principle: visually identifying people to others based on a medical condition.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, JAMESCC said:

Yes, and this is the only thing that would keep me from cruising. I do not fly at all, very serious fear if flying. Now we only sail from NJ because of this so we aren't on crazy itineraries all over the world because of that but I still can't fly. If I'm denied boarding back on the ship in Cape Canaveral, or Maine or even Canada, no big deal. Trains and cars can take me back home to NJ. If I'm in Bermuda or some southern island that is trouble for me. I suppose the Bahamas I could find some other boat ride back to Florida it's so close. Even that would be a pain in the butt. 

 

Think of it as a really expensive excursion.  Like flying in a helicopter to look at a volcano.  Oops, sorry, flying.  Think of it as an expensive submarine ride to visit an underwater volcano.

 

A boat ride from the Bahamas sounds like a mini adventure let’s go!

 

jc

Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm not a HIPAA expert (far from it) but I've seen others post here that it's OK to share personal info, allow others to see your screening result, send you down a different aisle based on your result, etc. with your consent.  I would guess that you would need to provide that consent as part of the cruise contract such that there are no HIPAA concerns with the screening process.  If you don't want to consent, you don't cruise.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, pcur said:

Just askin' here:  am I the only one who reads the title of this thread as "Breathslayer"?  I might be getting dyslexic.....🤪

Now that's funny.  I tend towards dyslexia myself and was extra careful when I wrote the header.  But you still had me double check. LOL

 

But to be fair, some people could fall under that category.  EEK

 

Erika

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, cb at sea said:

I've NEVER been "temperature tested" to go into ANY store...ever.  Into a doctor's office...yes...not ever a retail establishment.

 

I get temperature checked every time I go to the gym or to the public lap pool. And every time I go into my workplace, which isn't often, as I still opt to work remotely.  No big deal.  They don't record anything.  No data saved.

If your temperature is 100.4 degrees or over, you get refused entry.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 3:04 PM, Billy Baltic said:


There’s a difference between failing preboarding medical and failing a test when returning from a port visit. As the op says,  will they leave people in port. If you were on an excursion will they have to leave all participants in port? What about the people you had breakfast with that morning? Or the rep at guest services when you picked up your tickets? Or your stateroom attendant.......

To expand on that a little- a quick search has some suggestions that about 40% of the cases- the positive test comes 4 days after exposure.   So even if one is good an diligent at home, the first time you have a significant new exposure would be flying, and if you flew the day before, then 40% of the public would possibly test positive on day 3 of the cruise.

 

If you did get to a port on day 2, the first day you would test positive would be day 6.  So for most cruises (since there are so very few that have port days on both day 2 and day 6) if you were exposed in a port, you probably would not test positive on the cruise.  It's more likely that you get exposed on the way down, and then test positive getting back on the ship.

 

For longer cruises, that changes, of course.  But most cruises are 7 nights and shorter.

Link to post
Share on other sites

They are having pretty good success training dogs to detect humans infected with COVID-19 by smell.  There is a group of dogs in France that are about 95% accurate (some dogs are 100%) and they even detected it in two people that thought they were negative but subsequently tested positive.  They is also a group in the UK working on this that believe they can detect it in asymptomatic people.

https://www.sciencetimes.com/articles/25979/20200608/belgian-shepherds-tell-coronavirus-smelling-armpit.htm

 

Someone is working to train a group of 50 dogs in Florida right now. I wonder if the cruise lines are funding this?

https://www.wfla.com/community/health/coronavirus/florida-dogs-being-trained-to-sniff-out-coronavirus/

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, birdylady said:

Now that's funny.  I tend towards dyslexia myself and was extra careful when I wrote the header.  But you still had me double check. LOL

 

But to be fair, some people could fall under that category.  EEK

 

Erika

 

🤣

 

That's all I could think of when I first read the title.  Oh, boy, a thread about major halitosis is a new way to detect COVID19????????

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 5:30 PM, time4u2go said:

What does HIPAA have to do with this?

Nothing. HIPAA only applies to medical facilities. Someone having you blow into a machine to test for Covid is no different from a cop having you do a breathalyzer test. It is hardly protected.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, cb at sea said:

I've NEVER been "temperature tested" to go into ANY store...ever.  Into a doctor's office...yes...not ever a retail establishment.

 

Temperature tests in Florida to enter Disney Springs, Universal Citywalk, and Theme Parks. 

Edited by Spurschick
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Nothing. HIPAA only applies to medical facilities. Someone having you blow into a machine to test for Covid is no different from a cop having you do a breathalyzer test. It is hardly protected.

Exactly. That's why I was questioning the other poster's statement about HIPAA 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 6:38 PM, bigrednole said:

and if you had contact with anyone and everyone in a terminal, they would have to be declared carriers as well regardless of test. 

This.  Once the lawyers process this scenario, pre-boarding testing will be off the table.

 

They might offer that if you come to the pier with a negative test within a few days, you can bypass some of the other screening.

 

Also, been a while since I've dealt with HIPAA but I'm thinking the big difference is a C19 test is medical diagnosis, and covered under HIPAA while a temperature check is, well, just a temperature check.  It may indicate a symptom, but that's not covered.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, boatseller said:

This.  Once the lawyers process this scenario, pre-boarding testing will be off the table.

 

They might offer that if you come to the pier with a negative test within a few days, you can bypass some of the other screening.

 

Also, been a while since I've dealt with HIPAA but I'm thinking the big difference is a C19 test is medical diagnosis, and covered under HIPAA while a temperature check is, well, just a temperature check.  It may indicate a symptom, but that's not covered.

Completely wrong. My post, #37, covers it.

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

Completely wrong. My post, #37, covers it.

Actually, HIPAA applies to Covered Entities and if a HIPAA Provider or their contractor is performing the test, it applies.  And it's still a diagnostic test.

 

This is something for the lawyers to sort out.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, boatseller said:

Actually, HIPAA applies to Covered Entities and if a HIPAA Provider or their contractor is performing the test, it applies.  And it's still a diagnostic test.

 

This is something for the lawyers to sort out.

There is no such thing as an HIPAA provider. I will assume you mean HIPAA covered entity such as a health care provider. In post #37 I used the word facility instead of entity. However, if it were an HIPAA covered provider doing the temperature checks, the result of that check would be just as protected as the Covid test results. And taking a temperature is just as much of a diagnostic test as the covid test. 

 

And, yes, I am quite sure lawyers will be involved. They seem to be unavoidable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Ocean Boy said:

There is no such thing as an HIPAA provider. I will assume you mean HIPAA covered entity such as a health care provider. In post #37 I used the word facility instead of entity. However, if it were an HIPAA covered provider doing the temperature checks, the result of that check would be just as protected as the Covid test results. And taking a temperature is just as much of a diagnostic test as the covid test. 

 

And, yes, I am quite sure lawyers will be involved. They seem to be unavoidable.

Good heavens, yes, a Provider that is a HIPAA Covered Entity.  And no, HIPAA doesn't apply to only 'facilities'.  A lot more to it than that, like insurance companies and individual doctors.

 

Right now, there are exemptions allowing temperature checks outside normal HIPAA guidelines during the pandemic.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/16/2020 at 8:08 PM, cb at sea said:

I've NEVER been "temperature tested" to go into ANY store...ever.  Into a doctor's office...yes...not ever a retail establishment.

 

I get temperature checked every day to go to work. And wear a mask all day (except while eating or drinking). it's not a big deal. At a resort we were at recently, we were temperature checked every time we entered the building. That is the new norm. 

 

wrt to the breath test, that's just what you need people blowing on each other during boarding,,, with contaminated air all around. And what if someone tests positive, do you then deny boarding to everyone at that checkpoint (including the medical staff taking the tests)? And while the test may take a minute, the handling of the chips in this prototype seemed unmanageable.

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, boatseller said:

  And no, HIPAA doesn't apply to only 'facilities'.  A lot more to it than that, like insurance companies and individual doctors.

 

Did I not say I used the word facility where it should have been entity? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It makes no sense to test coming back on board at a port.

 

If you were exposed, it would not show up.   It takes time from exposure until you are actually infected.

 

And as has been mentioned, if you got exposed on the way to the port, you also would not test positive.   But you would become infectious about mid way through the cruise.

 

As for HIPAA, easy, you go into a room (could just be a curtain), are tested, and told to exit via door A or door B.  No one else sees which door you are directed through.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Thank You for 25 Years - Click for Fun Stuff!
      • Forum Assistance
      • ANNOUNCEMENT: Ponant Cruises & Expeditions - Return to Europe!
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with Barbara Muckermann, CMO Silversea Cruises
      • ICYM Our Cruise Critic Live Special Event: Explore the Remote World with Hurtigruten!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • Canadian Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...