Breathalyser to detect Covid?

1 hour ago, sugcarol said:

I am not referring to the phoney "therapy" dogs. I am talking about true service dogs that costs about $25,000.00 to train, and patient  has to train on site with the dog for 6 weeks. It is remarkable what dogs are capable of. Military have first option to receive a dog, unless blind.

So do you differentiate between a Phony therapy Dog(usually a pet), a real Therapy dog for PTSD? For both inc Dog for PTSD will be denied.

Edited by ONECRUISER

On 6/16/2020 at 12:32 PM, bigrednole said:

Imagine this inconclusive test being positive, the family denied boarding, and a real test confirming they do not have it? That would be a suit they would not want to face. In that case it is a US based lawsuit because the denied boarding was before they were on the ship and going by maritime laws. If they are going to test, they will need to be 100% accurate or be willing to open themselves up to hefty issues. On top of that, the entire HIPAA issue comes into play.

HIPPA issue comes into play only if the individual does not want their medical history to be divulged. If the individual gives consent, there is no problem at all. Without consent, the individual does not board the ship so, again, no HIPAA issue at all.

Edited by coffeebean

On 6/16/2020 at 3:47 PM, JAMESCC said:

Yes, and this is the only thing that would keep me from cruising. I do not fly at all, very serious fear if flying. Now we only sail from NJ because of this so we aren't on crazy itineraries all over the world because of that but I still can't fly. If I'm denied boarding back on the ship in Cape Canaveral, or Maine or even Canada, no big deal. Trains and cars can take me back home to NJ. If I'm in Bermuda or some southern island that is trouble for me. I suppose the Bahamas I could find some other boat ride back to Florida it's so close. Even that would be a pain in the butt. 

😧 I hear you! Share the same sentiment about driving home and swimming or rowing home from an island!

• 1 year later...

FRIDAY, April 15, 2022 (HealthDay News) -- People who suspect they may have COVID-19 could soon find out with a simple breath test that delivers results in three minutes.

On Thursday, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration granted an emergency use authorization for a device called the InspectIR Covid-19 Breathalyzer. The test, which must be administered by a trained operator, demonstrates a high degree of accuracy while taking up no more space than a piece of carry-on luggage.

"Today's authorization is yet another example of the rapid innovation occurring with diagnostic tests for COVID-19," Dr. Jeff Shuren, director of the FDA's Center for Devices and Radiological Health, said in an agency news release announcing the approval. "The FDA continues to support the development of novel COVID-19 tests with the goal of advancing technologies that can help address the current pandemic and better position the U.S. for the next public health emergency."

InspectIR can run 160 samples per day and may be used at mobile testing sites, hospitals and doctors' offices. The company can produce about 100 of the machines a week, The New York Times reported.

The test uses gas chromatography gas mass-spectrometry, a technique that separates and identifies chemical mixtures, to spot the presence of five compounds associated with the coronavirus.

Its accuracy was confirmed in a large study of just over 2,400 people, including those with and without symptoms. In the end, the test was shown to have 91.2% sensitivity (the percent of positive samples the test correctly identified) and 99.3% specificity (the percent of negative samples the test correctly identified). The test performed just as well in a follow-up study focused on the Omicron variant.

The test's approval arrives as the Omicron subvariant BA.2 takes over the country, now accounting for almost 86% of all COVID cases, according to data from the U.S. Centers of Disease Control and Prevention. Several northeastern cities have seen cases climb recently as the subvariant surges, and Philadelphia even brought back its indoor mask mandate this week to try to stem the spread of BA.2.

A positive test should be confirmed through another testing method, such as a PCR lab test, the FDA stressed.

The agency warned that negative tests "should be considered in the context of a patient's recent exposures, history and the presence of clinical signs and symptoms consistent with COVID-19" and "should not be used as the sole basis for treatment or patient management decisions, including infection control decisions."

FDA Approves First Breath Test for COVID | Health News | US News