NCL cancels all August and September sailings

Charles4515

11 minutes ago, rabidstoat said:

Okay, another thought! What are the penalties for violating the PVSA and not doing a foreign port stop?

I know if an individual passenger gets off early or on late in a way that they're only hitting US ports, the cruise line is fined something like $700 or $800. They then pass the fine on to the passenger?

Is that the only penalty? Could the cruise lines theoretically add a $700 or $800 'PVSA Violation Fee' to the ticket cost and just defy the act, without consequences other than the monetary one?

The PVSA fine is currently $798 per passenger. Any cruise line intentionally violating the law runs the risk of having their ability to cruise in US waters revoked. Do you really think cruise lines are run by stupid people who would risk their company's ability to do business in the US by intentionally violating the law just to run a couple of cruises to Alaska?

To give you an example of what can happen to a cruise line that doesn't obey US laws, Carnival Corporation has a long history of environmental violations. Its Princess subsidiary was assessed a $40 million dollar criminal fine and plead guilty to felony charges in 2016 for its violations. They were placed under court supervised monitoring, and subsequently Carnival Corp. was fined $20 million in 2019 for continuing to violate the law...and the judge threatened to prevent carnival from docking in the US. https://www.npr.org/2019/06/04/729622653/carnival-cruise-lines-hit-with-20-million-penalty-for-environmental-crimes#:~:text=Carnival Cruise Lines Hit With %2420 Million Penalty For Environmental,pay %2440 million for pollution.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, cruisingator2 said:

Actually according to this article, they may use POA as the ship.

https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23101-norwegian-hopes-to-cruise-to-alaska-in-september.html

My relatives in Alaska are telling me that the normal excursion operators, guides, and many stores that primarily service tourists have not and are not planning to hire their summer staff at all this year.  Many have even laid off their full time employees. Unlikely that they would open for a couple of ships in September.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, npcl said:

My relatives in Alaska are telling me that the normal excursion operators, guides, and many stores that primarily service tourists have not and are not planning to hire their summer staff at all this year.  Many have even laid off their full time employees. Unlikely that they would open for a couple of ships in September.

Exactly.  Would love to see the list of people willing to pay an additional $798 per person to cruise to unmanned Alaska ports in September.  Probably could sell them a few bridges.

3 hours ago, rabidstoat said:

Is that the only penalty? Could the cruise lines theoretically add a $700 or $800 'PVSA Violation Fee' to the ticket cost and just defy the act, without consequences other than the monetary one?

Plus a 20% service charge for your convenience. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Well I was hoping it was more of a reflection on the enormous undertaking it is to recrew a ship. And since nothing has been released about the meeting...well I was/am just hoping the two aren't connected.

😷  🤣

11 hours ago, seaman11 said:

This is why.  The governers of florida and texas. Cost us august/sept.  Maybe more if they keep being in denial.  

We are heading ever closer....towards 2021....😉

12 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

The cruise cancellation extensions have NOTHING to do with Governors and State's that never New York'ed, Chicago'ed or Boston'ed locked down for "unknown" date.  Great #'s there?  Real "model."  

Currently, the Death of Boston is on the minds of many there - - at the hands of its' own leadership.  "Large Gatherings" (PC) are just fine; working in-city, dining, or even playing hoops ~ inconsiderate health risk to society.  A total joke.

Back to cruising, looking at today's date, the location of all of the ships, the locations of all of the crew, this is no surprise.  A simple understanding is not difficult.

Yet you can sit on a plane for hours, no problem.

Yet you can take an urban metro (hey, they "just cleaned the ones in NY a couple weeks ago), no problem.

If Florida, for example, is "the problem," why did so many New York, Connecticut and New Jersey residents flee to Florida in March and April?

Nice try.

OMG  Are you kidding me?
During the most restrictive lock downs, New Yorkers fled to Florida and the infections spiked because of it.  There is reality and fairy tale land.  Just today front page of the Sun Sentinel in Florida has a story a girl went out on the town with her 10 friends and now all tested positive.

It has everything to do with the attitude of people not caring for the health of others.

I never said the cruise cancellations has anything to do but the spike in Covid numbers.  When elected leaders hide numbers i.e. refuse to report hospital statistics (FL Governor) and publicly state cases are going down or declare victory, we have a right and a duty to speak up.  Miami has stopped opening up because of the spike.  This has EVERYTHING to do with cruising because its the EXACT reason why cruising keeps getting delayed.  If everyone would just wear a mask we could beat this thing.  Look at the hairstylist who was positive and had symptoms.  She was around over 80 customers and no one tested positive because she and her customers wore masks.  I have been around multiple prisoners who were positive with masks and I wore a mask and I still test negative.  Masks work but until people wear them, we will never get over this thing.  4 months and over 117k Americans dead.  That is more Americans than the Vietnam war, Iraq war, Afghanistan war, and every terrorist attack on Americans combined.  All in just 4 months.  People are NOT wearing masks.  This has everything to do with cruising.  Until people take this serious cruising will NEVER resume.  When you state Covid is a "problem" in parentheses like you did.  That infers you don't think there Covid is a problem.  The exact reason so many fled to Florida is the exact reason Florida now is a problem.  You answered your own question.

This is why this is spreading faster than ever in many states with cruising ports

Edited by david_sobe
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 2

The above statement is the most sensible thing I’ve read on CC in months, you are bang on David.

Until people, Start taking the risks with Covid-19 seriously no cruising will commence.

I always believed spring 2021, but I doubt that now. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

When they cancelled our April 5th cruise, it stayed on My NCL until after the date of cruise.   Return of my CruiseNext deposits and receiving the FCC took awhile after that.

(BTW, still waiting for a $203 refund of prepaid service charges....it won't break me, but now so many more for them to work on)

We were cancelled on March 15th two days before sailing. Ours also showed the whole time like we were actually sailing. FCC took a bit but got everything, CruiseNext deposits required a few emails and phone calls. Finally talked to someone in the CruiseNext department and it was fixed the next day. Our prepaid service charges just became part of the FCC. 

9 hours ago, LisaandMike said:

We paid for a cruise Aug 31, 2020 out of Miami: canceled. Just canceled Flights from Indianapolis to Miami and back on Southwest. The charges are still showing as "pending" on my credit card. No refund from Southwest. Shows we have travel funds available. Funny how a few days ago we got the last 2 seats in category "want to get away" then yesterday there were 2 more seats in that category for $10.00 more one way and $20.00 ore the other. Wonder if they'll only have 4 seats left now. Like someone else said. It's not going to break us. We were really starting to get excited about getting back to traveling. Maybe after first of year.

P.S. We're booked on the Jade TA at the end of October with a final payment date of July 3rd. Haven't cancelled yet. Any one with any insight as to weather they think it will sail? Good luck all, Stay safe!

We are booked on the Encore for October 13th and are holding on to hope that it will sail. It was a rebook from cancelled March 15th cruise. Prior to yesterday's announcement, we could not book specialty dining but that opened up last night. Fingers crossed!

15 hours ago, seaman11 said:

This is why.  The governers of florida and texas. Cost us august/sept.  Maybe more if they keep being in denial.  

Sadly the governors are only partially to blame.  Look to all the people who didn't want their freedom taken away by needing to wear a mask or stay 6 feet apart for a few more weeks to cast the blame on also.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, SeaHunt said:

The only thing I can point to is that "list" posted on various threads here (the list that might/might not be true) that shows the Jade starting back on November 22 - but AFAIK nobody really knows. 🙃😀

1134985952_nclReLaunchlist.thumb.jpg.c19

Wow, where did this come from. Shows the Jade relaunch about 3 weeks after the scheduled TA on Oct. 31. Jade is currently at a dock in Naples according to marinetraffic.com. Just not going to know before final payment date. It was going to be such an incredible cruise and a great price, booked last year sometime, way ahead.

7 minutes ago, figmentfreak said:

Sadly the governors are only partially to blame.  Look to all the people who didn't want their freedom taken away by needing to wear a mask or stay 6 feet apart for a few more weeks to cast the blame on also.

People are assessing their own risks and acting accordingly.  Socially distancing and wearing masks are not sustainable for long periods of time (more than a few months). From what I am seeing, people are ready to go back to enjoying their lives. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Formula280SS said:

The cruise cancellation extensions have NOTHING to do with Governors and State's that never New York'ed, Chicago'ed or Boston'ed locked down for "unknown" date.  Great #'s there?  Real "model."  

Currently, the Death of Boston is on the minds of many there - - at the hands of its' own leadership.  "Large Gatherings" (PC) are just fine; working in-city, dining, or even playing hoops ~ inconsiderate health risk to society.  A total joke.

Back to cruising, looking at today's date, the location of all of the ships, the locations of all of the crew, this is no surprise.  A simple understanding is not difficult.

Yet you can sit on a plane for hours, no problem.

Yet you can take an urban metro (hey, they "just cleaned the ones in NY a couple weeks ago), no problem.

If Florida, for example, is "the problem," why did so many New York, Connecticut and New Jersey residents flee to Florida in March and April?

Nice try.

I couldn't agree with you more.

14 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Yes but msc said they can get crew retrained in 2 weeks.  I also think that crews contracts would be up anyway.  Once things fully open by july getting new crew in wont be such a problem imo.  But i agree they could have other issues internally.

But lets face it. The two best options for going in the us were texas and florida. And covid numbers have been spiking.  

I live in Florida. I know no one who has or had this disease. Also I was at my doctors office and they had no cases. The Governor did have a news conference and explained that they figured out that most of the cases has to do with our migrant population who unfortunately live in very close quarters in not very good living conditions. Our hospitals near the the shoreline where I live have plenty of beds available not in use and our hospitals are not crowded but this is not so in areas of Belle Glade and LaBelle which is where our cane fields are. Also, we have problems with the jails. So that kind of cleared up things in my mind where these COVID cases were. The Governor said he will not close the state down again but continue to monitor these high risk areas. We haven’t had a spike in our senior community which I am a part of because we have been staying away from crowds and wearing masks and seeing our doctors now. People can’t continue to live in isolation because of their mental state. There has to be a medium of both cautionary measures and also allow people to continue on with their lives. I know this doesn’t help any questions with cruises but I’m just letting you know where Florida is at this time and we have a lot of cruise ports. 

• Like 5

13 hours ago, Sand and Seas said:

When they cancelled our April 5th cruise, it stayed on My NCL until after the date of cruise.   Return of my CruiseNext deposits and receiving the FCC took awhile after that.

(BTW, still waiting for a $203 refund of prepaid service charges....it won't break me, but now so many more for them to work on)

How long does it take for Cruise Next to return to your account if you request a refund?

Received the e-mail last night cancelling our 8/9 Bermuda cruise on Encore.  If we choose to take the 125% FCC it states credit will be issued by 6/25/20 for future cruise use through 12/31/22.  It also states that the credit is valid for one year,  6/25/21 to be used. Sooo, that means we can take a cruise using the 125% credit up until 12/31/22 but have to make the choice/book by 6/25/21 ?  Regards, Gerry. 

• Like 1

Some people on CC think cruises are just for Florida residents, if you open ports do you think cruisers won’t travel from other states? 
CDC are looking at the bigger picture.

Nobody knows the outcome and the future with covid19, this virus could be active for years.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LisaandMike said:

Wow, where did this come from. Shows the Jade relaunch about 3 weeks after the scheduled TA on Oct. 31. Jade is currently at a dock in Naples according to marinetraffic.com. Just not going to know before final payment date. It was going to be such an incredible cruise and a great price, booked last year sometime, way ahead.

We had been booked on that TA for quite some time as well and were really looking forward to it.  As spring wore on,  however, it seemed pretty unlikely that a TA out of Italy in October and through the Med would happen.  Moreover, even if it did, this is not the time  -- for us at least -- for international flying (our non-stop to Rome had already been cancelled, and an absurdly long connecting itinerary substituted), or cruising.   Too much uncertainty and too much of a health risk.  Since we were never going to make final payment (due July 3), there was no reason to wait on NCL.  We cancelled in early May and received a refund of our deposit in a few weeks.  Also a refund of our airfare (booked independently).    

I would not make final payment on that cruise, but YMMV.  Good luck and stay safe.

31 minutes ago, buckeye rob said:

Received the e-mail last night cancelling our 8/9 Bermuda cruise on Encore.  If we choose to take the 125% FCC it states credit will be issued by 6/25/20 for future cruise use through 12/31/22.  It also states that the credit is valid for one year,  6/25/21 to be used. Sooo, that means we can take a cruise using the 125% credit up until 12/31/22 but have to make the choice/book by 6/25/21 ?  Regards, Gerry. 

thats how i understand it too

I really thought cruising would be good to go at least in September  but obviously not

How much longer will cruise lines be able to go on for if this goes on much longer - or are NCL already on their way out?

I hope not as i really enjoyed our cruise with them.

Edited by fandash
spelling error

It is really starting to annoy me how the cruise lines are able to still sell cruises when they know it will be cancelled

yes i know they need the money ...but does that make it right.. absolutely not.

if cruise lines know they are not going to be cruising again till 2021 then just tell everyone NOW.

It is so boring now.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Sailing Smooth said:

How long does it take for Cruise Next to return to your account if you request a refund?

My DH's FCC was in his account not too long after they cancelled our April cruise.   The Cruise Next was in my name and they took several weeks longer on that.   We were able to book another cruise using his FCC and then applied my two Cruise Next later when they were re-issued with new numbers.  It took a while and I had sent emails to customer service and then the CN email address before it finally came through.

I have read here on the boards where many had their CN returned to their accounts without that long of a wait.  I was told the CN department had a small staff and were working on it as best they could. There were some of us who had a thread going back then with the hold ups we were encountering.  Hopefully, things will go much smoother for this next group of cancellations🤞 

Edited by Sand and Seas
added info
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Yes but msc said they can get crew retrained in 2 weeks.  I also think that crews contracts would be up anyway.  Once things fully open by july getting new crew in wont be such a problem imo.  But i agree they could have other issues internally.

But lets face it. The two best options for going in the us were texas and florida. And covid numbers have been spiking.  

Things are not going to fully open by July., which is 13 days from now. States are starting to put restrictions back in place because people are too self centered to wear a mask when out in public.

• Like 1