NCL cancels all August and September sailings

Charles4515

15 hours ago, roger001 said:

We’re not going to be cruising for a long, long time.    Today’s report is uglier and uglier.  
https://apple.news/AUQ_Iw5LsTHuYTl4on86sLA

I expected cases to spike a bit as states reopened and go down. The truth is it didnt work that way and numbers have tripled in some states.   I was wrong. 🤕

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, seaman11 said:

I expected cases to spike a bit as states reopened and go down. The truth is it didnt work that way and numbers have tripled in some states.   I was wrong. 🤕

When do you now anticipate cruising?

10 hours ago, seaman11 said:

I dont know.  I am hoping nov. But that doesnt look great if the numbers dont go down.  

I sense realism settling in, and you have been man enough to admit you were wrong about cruises starting again. 👏 👏 You hoped for May, then June, then July, August and September. I don't recall October being mentioned!

Anyways, I hope you are correct this time and I will then  be wrong. Always felt it would be 2021, but not part of the so called 'doom and gloom' brigade. November would be perfect for a Caribbean cruise, and there are a small number sailing from Barbados.....keeping my eye on them, as I think sailing from USA is now definitely a bust this year, but realistically I think Jan/Feb would be the earliest and similar itineraries from Barbados are scheduled then....direct flights from UK, so Barbados is a real attraction to us!

Edited by hamrag

We the sensible always said spring 2021. I somewhat doubt that now, there seems to be something more important happening in November.

i just wish NCL had been better at dealing with refunds, customers are the success of the future, without them you have empty discounted ships.

From CDC:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, or possibly from infection with a related virus from the same family of viruses (called coronavirus), such as one that causes the common cold." 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Perhaps this is why numbers appear to be increasing as states like Florida upped their antibody tests starting in May.

On 6/16/2020 at 6:13 PM, Formula280SS said:

The cruise cancellation extensions have NOTHING to do with Governors and State's that never New York'ed, Chicago'ed or Boston'ed locked down for "unknown" date.  Great #'s there?  Real "model."  

Currently, the Death of Boston is on the minds of many there - - at the hands of its' own leadership.  "Large Gatherings" (PC) are just fine; working in-city, dining, or even playing hoops ~ inconsiderate health risk to society.  A total joke.

Back to cruising, looking at today's date, the location of all of the ships, the locations of all of the crew, this is no surprise.  A simple understanding is not difficult.

Yet you can sit on a plane for hours, no problem.

Yet you can take an urban metro (hey, they "just cleaned the ones in NY a couple weeks ago), no problem.

If Florida, for example, is "the problem," why did so many New York, Connecticut and New Jersey residents flee to Florida in March and April?

Nice try.

I think that there is too much COIVD 19 hysteria.

Florida is doing fine.  Testing has pushed up the cases, but fatalities are way down.  Understand that more of the new cases don't require hospitalization and are among under 50 persons.  I live in South Georgia and we have no problem with hospitalizations.   Only a very small percentage of new cases require hospitalization.  I think people are ready to get out and do things once more and with the fatality rate being a fraction of one percent, unless you have underlying conditions.  People are willing to take the risk.

https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/96dd742462124fa0b38ddedb9b25e429

We love cruising, but will wait until next year.   Cruising still involves the travel risk that ports will close to your ship.  Also, we have done one Caribbean cruise and the Caribbean doesn't appeal to us.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, OceanCruise said:

From CDC:

"A positive test result shows you may have antibodies from an infection with the virus that causes COVID-19, or possibly from infection with a related virus from the same family of viruses (called coronavirus), such as one that causes the common cold." 

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/testing/serology-overview.html

Perhaps this is why numbers appear to be increasing as states like Florida upped their antibody tests starting in May.

Ive said it time and time again... the testing in Florida has basically been flat (it rose VERY slightly for the past month) and the positive cases has broken florida records for the past week. The number show its NOT testing

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 4774Papa said:

Florida is doing fine.  Testing has pushed up the cases, but fatalities are way down.  Understand that more of the new cases don't require hospitalization and are among under 50 persons.  I live in South Georgia and we have no problem with hospitalizations.   Only a very small percentage of new cases require hospitalization.  I think people are ready to get out and do things once more and with the fatality rate being a fraction of one percent, unless you have underlying conditions.  People are willing to take the risk.

We love cruising, but will wait until next year.   Cruising still involves the travel risk that ports will close to your ship.  Also, we have done one Caribbean cruise and the Caribbean doesn't appeal to us.  

Fatalities are NOT way down... they are closer to flat than way down. Look at the charts.

How do you look at this chart and say deaths are way down??????

image.png.53ca01cddbf35759290d87aeb5b65a35.png

Hospitalizations are trending UP

image.png.32218b0a6c8b4d4ef5a8fd32ff5fac40.png

Edited by hftmrock
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, hamrag said:

I sense realism settling in, and you have been man enough to admit you were wrong about cruises starting again. 👏 👏 You hoped for May, then June, then July, August and September. I don't recall October being mentioned!

Anyways, I hope you are correct this time and I will then  be wrong. Always felt it would be 2021, but not part of the so called 'doom and gloom' brigade. November would be perfect for a Caribbean cruise, and there are a small number sailing from Barbados.....keeping my eye on them, as I think sailing from USA is now definitely a bust this year, but realistically I think Jan/Feb would be the earliest and similar itineraries from Barbados are scheduled then....direct flights from UK, so Barbados is a real attraction to us!

15 minutes ago, Bollinge said:

My friends are in the cruise business in St Thomas and St Maarten and they have said for a few weeks that they expect the first ships to be back there around 1st October.

Which cruise lines?

My friends are in the cruise business in St Thomas and St Maarten and they have said for a few weeks that they expect the first ships to be back there around 1st October.

I think October is possible. But it depends on what happens in the next two months. It is also possible that there won’t be any cruising out of the US until 2021. Your friends are speculating like we are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

2 hours ago, 4774Papa said:

I've seen many posts from Fla. residents lately that say they aren't "doing fine". Very concerned about the spike.

Jacksonville ( closest Fla Big  city to you) closed beaches and some bars again.

Tampa masks in public places.

Orlando masks in public also, possible $500.00 fine if not.

Florida Keys until June 2021.

I guess there are 2 definitions of fine.

• Like 4

On 6/16/2020 at 9:59 PM, LisaandMike said:

P.S. We're booked on the Jade TA at the end of October with a final payment date of July 3rd. Haven't cancelled yet. Any one with any insight as to weather they think it will sail? Good luck all, Stay safe!

Is this the trip from Civitavecchia-NY? We have cruise next and FCC from a canceled sailing of the Jade in Southeast Asia in February, and considered booking, but have not. We live in NYC so this would have been an amazing, inexpensive, and easy trip, but it seems almost entirely unlikely to sail for two reasons:

1. I don't think NYC or NYS will allow any ships to arrive or depart before the end of the year based on current projections and protocol. Not sure about Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's port in Jersey, however I can't imagine Gov. Murphy reopening the port just to have more cruise ship outbreaks on their hands. 
  2. I don't know that the EU is going to allow Americans in at any point soon, especially with COVID-19 cases starting to spike around the country. 

We've also sailed on the QM2 back to NY from Southampton before, and considered doing that the week before Christmas, but Cunard keeps pushing their sailing cancelations (they're at 1 Nov at a earliest return to sailing). 

16 minutes ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Is this the trip from Civitavecchia-NY? We have cruise next and FCC from a canceled sailing of the Jade in Southeast Asia in February, and considered booking, but have not. We live in NYC so this would have been an amazing, inexpensive, and easy trip, but it seems almost entirely unlikely to sail for two reasons:

1. I don't think NYC or NYS will allow any ships to arrive or depart before the end of the year based on current projections and protocol. Not sure about Royal Caribbean and Celebrity's port in Jersey, however I can't imagine Gov. Murphy reopening the port just to have more cruise ship outbreaks on their hands. 
  2. I don't know that the EU is going to allow Americans in at any point soon, especially with COVID-19 cases starting to spike around the country. 

Yes, that's the TA the person you quoted was asking about. We were booked on it and were very excited about it, but with each passing day this spring it seemed very unlikely that it would be a go, including for the reasons you said.  And, even if for some reason NCL managed to sail this TA, not only would we have no idea what restrictions would be required on board, but that kind of international flying and cruising in October, with no vaccine, did not seem smart to us.  (Others may feel differently.)  Since it was clear there would be no answers before final payment due on July 3, and since we had no intention of putting more money into this cruise given the circumstances, we've cancelled and have received a full refund of our deposit.

4 hours ago, Charles4515 said:

I think October is possible. But it depends on what happens in the next two months. It is also possible that there won’t be any cruising out of the US until 2021. Your friends are speculating like we are.

We are all speculating, but that post was responding to mine specifically in relation to the scheduled Caribbean cruises out of Barbados between November and February. In that situation, what the US does would not really be in the equation....

Edited by hamrag

7 hours ago, AstoriaPreppy said:

Is this the trip from Civitavecchia-NY? We have cruise next and FCC from a canceled sailing of the Jade in Southeast Asia in February, and considered booking, but have not. We live in NYC so this would have been an amazing, inexpensive, and easy trip, but it seems almost entirely unlikely to sail for two reasons

Yes. We too were supposed to go on Jade from Hong Kong to Singapore in February but cancelled before final payment because we didn't want to fly into Hong Kong during a protest. Would have made 25% on that cruise when it got cancelled. You make some good points about NYC and NYS not opening the port. They're saying on the news now all major lines have cancelled until September 15th, for now. 

11 hours ago, LisaandMike said:

We too were supposed to go on Jade from Hong Kong to Singapore in February but cancelled before final payment because we didn't want to fly into Hong Kong during a protest. Would have made 25% on that cruise when it got cancelled.

To be honest, you probably dodged a bullet on the Hong Kong-Singapore sailing by canceling outright. NCL so mismanaged the itinerary change and cancelation, the 25% FCC barely makes up the the hours and $$$ spent trying to rearrange plans.

On 6/21/2020 at 2:15 PM, 4774Papa said:

I think people are ready to get out and do things once more and with the fatality rate being a fraction of one percent, unless you have underlying conditions.  People are willing to take the risk.

Yes individuals are willing to take the risk for sure. If you have a jar of 100 jelly beans and (to keep numbers simple) one of them would kill you who wouldn't eat a lovely jelly bean. It is worth the risk. I'm not being sarcastic there I mean it.

However what people miss is the law of large numbers. If I gather in a room of 100 people and hand out that same jar of jelly beans 1 person will die but no one is leaving the room until one person is dead. Now rinse/repeat for 330 million people in the USA alone and that is a LOT of dead people.

This isn't about individuals. Nor individual risk.

Edited by pmd98052
  • Like 1

This is totally absurd. Flights are far more dangerous because passengers are packed in like sardines in a can for the duration of the trip, and flights have never been grounded. I had to take one last week and it was 100% full and had a waiting list. The government needs to step in and refuse them stimulus money unless they reduce capacity. Meanwhile, cruises are being unfairly targeted. Social distancing is possible with changes (like staggered muster drills instead of one), and there are plenty of employees on the ship to enforce distancing. If planes can fly ships should sail.

On 6/16/2020 at 4:49 PM, Georgia_Peaches said:

I guess we all knew it was coming and it must be a relief to have an official announcement for those who are booked in August/Sept.  But I hope this isn't a reflection of how the meeting with the CDC went last week.

This is not a relief at all, because they’ve pushed the dates back so many times I don’t believe them anymore. They could easily extend it again, and multiple times. I’ll be “relieved” when the first ship sails.