New Cruising Normal.....

ToxM

4 hours ago, wowzz said:

A few weeks ago they were saying (or the media were) that no tourists would be allowed until the autumn at the earliest. And look how that turned out. 

10 hours ago, wowzz said:

Cruise ships also not permitted to dock in Greece either, no date available in when ban will be lifted.

9 hours ago, Snow Hill said:

Cruise ships also not permitted to dock in Greece either, no date available in when ban will be lifted.

It's about dipping toes again. 

One country will make an economic call to open first and if it works without incident, others will follow quite quickly. 

Andy 

• Like 1

It doesn’t sound very hopeful for our two 2021 cruises- Iona to the Canaries in February and Azura to the eastern Med in June. Should be in Helsinki today on Azura, boo hoo. Never mind at least we have our refund and are using it for a new patio. Luckily we back on to a small wood and farmers fields so we can pretend we are on holiday.

Ports may gradually start welcoming cruise ships again, ostensibly because they need the money from the berthing fees and tourism however the very moment that any passenger or crew member presents with COVID-19 on-board all that will immediately change again.   Ports require ships to inform them of any COVID cases and in the case of some ports they aso mandate that ships inform them of anyone with cold/flu like symptoms (which may be COVID-19).

As soon as you get a case on-board the ports are going to refuse the ship entry or at the least refuse permissions for anyone to disembark.   Even if they wanted to allow it the local citizens would be in uproar now that everyone understands COVID-19 and the risks to them.   So such a cruise ship would still end up just cruising around at sea for the duration or would find a port that would accept them and dump passengers there and fly them home.

This remains the biggest issue facing the cruise industry and is still a show stopper.

Until they face up to it and come up with some way of allowing a cruise to continue normally despite on-board cases of COVID-19, it is pretty much game over for the industry imho.

Anyway you slice it there WILL be cases of COVID-19 on-board ships when they start up again.  Unavoidable.   It will come from passengers or crew, it may be picked up in port or before embarkation.   Swab testing isn't reliable enough to prevent it happening.

Edited by KnowTheScore

I think you are right

If/when there are cases, don’t forget that past practice has seen all passengers subjected to ‘cabin arrest’.  It’s not a restricted, port-avoiding, party, with food choices, entertainment, spa, library, sun beds on deck and liberal alcohol.  It’s cabin arrest - possibly for a misdiagnosed case of German measles or similar ... any high temperature?

So we return to No Cruising Before A Vaccine

☹️

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jennizor said:

It doesn’t sound very hopeful for our two 2021 cruises- Iona to the Canaries in February and Azura to the eastern Med in June. Should be in Helsinki today on Azura, boo hoo. Never mind at least we have our refund and are using it for a new patio. Luckily we back on to a small wood and farmers fields so we can pretend we are on holiday.

We’ve had refund for A011 but not A012 despite doing both requests at the same time also had an excursion refund for A012 I’d love to know how they decide on who gets what and when

6 minutes ago, Eddie99 said:

I think you are right

If/when there are cases, don’t forget that past practice has seen all passengers subjected to ‘cabin arrest’.  It’s not a restricted, port-avoiding, party, with food choices, entertainment, spa, library, sun beds on deck and liberal alcohol.  It’s cabin arrest - possibly for a misdiagnosed case of German measles or similar ... any high temperature?

So we return to No Cruising Before A Vaccine

☹️

I rather think that the cruise lines know just how damaging another Diamond Princess outbreak would be, consequently I hope they are looking at alternative ways to handle a covid case(s) which does not restrict all passengers to their cabins.

What that will be, how they will manage to continue the cruise, and how ports will react, will probably be a major exercise facing all cruise lines at present. However the desire to get the vacation and hospitality industries functioning again, will in the end, be the major driving force that overcomes  current fears.

I might sound rediculous but all this situation with Covid drives people insane. If you ask me I start to feel that it is all fake even though I have relatives myself who have fallen ill with it. Some people didnt even notice that they were sick. All these new measures are just scare people out. If you want to be really safe, just stay at home. Its like the best thing to do these days 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

I might sound rediculous but all this situation with Covid drives people insane. If you ask me I start to feel that it is all fake even though I have relatives myself who have fallen ill with it. Some people didnt even notice that they were sick. All these new measures are just scare people out. If you want to be really safe, just stay at home. Its like the best thing to do these days 

I suppose it all depends on where you live. 

Avril 

3 hours ago, Jennizor said:

We should be on our way from Alaska back to Vancouver ready for our Rockies tour starting on Sunday. Oh well, already rebooked for next year.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

I rather think that the cruise lines know just how damaging another Diamond Princess outbreak would be, consequently I hope they are looking at alternative ways to handle a covid case(s) which does not restrict all passengers to their cabins.

Unfortunately TJ it's not in their power to determine the solution.  As we have plainly seen,  the world is not in fact run by elected Governments it is run by the various (cough) "authorities" such as the WHO and CDC who controlled the whole show.  They shut down the cruise lines.   They will determine whether cruising ever goes ahead again and if so on what basis.  Funny but I don't ever remember voting for the WHO or CDC or for that matter the so-called "experts" that Boris & Co devolved all responsibility to in the UK.

These authorities are the real powers and they are imho beholden to the Pharmaceutical industries and other untouchable groups.

Cruise lines can do absolutely nothing until and unless the WHO/CDC decide to let them.   So cruise lines are sat in a waiting game desperately putting out chirpy news releases to placate the stock markets to try and keep their share prices from collapsing further but the reality is they have no answers. 

Not a single cruise line that I know of has any solution as to how to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.   That is extremely worrying on many levels.   Worrying for cruising but more worrying in terms of the power these groups have to stop the cogs of the world's industries.

1 hour ago, terrierjohn said:

What that will be, how they will manage to continue the cruise, and how ports will react, will probably be a major exercise facing all cruise lines at present. However the desire to get the vacation and hospitality industries functioning again, will in the end, be the major driving force that overcomes  current fears.

The desire to get cruising going again will have been there since last March, yet it remains essentially a dead horse.  The likelihood of any significant cruising in 2020 is imho nil.  The sailing embargoes will just keep getting extended.

17 minutes ago, Son of Anarchy said:

Going by this thread, in about 10 years time the TV programme Abandoned Engineering will be showing programmes of rusting hulks of cruise ships and stripped out graffiti covered cruise ship terminals...

What a depressing thought!

6 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

Unfortunately TJ it's not in their power to determine the solution.  As we have plainly seen,  the world is not in fact run by elected Governments it is run by the various (cough) "authorities" such as the WHO and CDC who controlled the whole show.  They shut down the cruise lines.   They will determine whether cruising ever goes ahead again and if so on what basis.  Funny but I don't ever remember voting for the WHO or CDC or for that matter the so-called "experts" that Boris & Co devolved all responsibility to in the UK.

These authorities are the real powers and they are imho beholden to the Pharmaceutical industries and other untouchable groups.

Cruise lines can do absolutely nothing until and unless the WHO/CDC decide to let them.   So cruise lines are sat in a waiting game desperately putting out chirpy news releases to placate the stock markets to try and keep their share prices from collapsing further but the reality is they have no answers. 

Not a single cruise line that I know of has any solution as to how to deal with on-board cases of COVID-19.   That is extremely worrying on many levels.   Worrying for cruising but more worrying in terms of the power these groups have to stop the cogs of the world's industries.

The desire to get cruising going again will have been there since last March, yet it remains essentially a dead horse.  The likelihood of any significant cruising in 2020 is imho nil.  The sailing embargoes will just keep getting extended.

The WHO has absolutely no power whatsoever,  as I am sure you know.

You do make some good points at times, but brevity is not your strong point.

23 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

Last 3 days: America 90,524  New cases of Covid 19

Brazil 107,260  New cases.

Woe is me, the end is nigh. Spain has announced that Brits can enter from Sunday without any quarantine. The first of many. Good news out there if you care to look.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Woe is me, the end is nigh. Spain has announced that Brits can enter from Sunday without any quarantine. The first of many. Good news out there if you care to look.

Good news, but once you get to Spain the restrictions in force make it a slightly surreal experience. Rigidly enforced social distancing everywhere from bars  to sun beds. 

We have a villa holiday booked in Spain for September, but we will be forfeiting the deposit, because our Spanish friends  dont believe the situation will have improved significantly in the next few months.

8 hours ago, zap99 said:

But not on a cruise ship?

8 hours ago, wowzz said:

Good news, but once you get to Spain the restrictions in force make it a slightly surreal experience. Rigidly enforced social distancing everywhere from bars  to sun beds. 

We have a villa holiday booked in Spain for September, but we will be forfeiting the deposit, because our Spanish friends  dont believe the situation will have improved significantly in the next few months.

I think we will pass on the med this year. We have a week in Cornwall booked in 4 weeks. If we are permitted to go, will decide then what comes next. Easy does it, but hope for the best.

On 6/19/2020 at 5:30 PM, P&O SUE said:

What a depressing thought!

On 6/19/2020 at 5:13 PM, Son of Anarchy said:

Going by this thread, in about 10 years time the TV programme Abandoned Engineering will be showing programmes of rusting hulks of cruise ships and stripped out graffiti covered cruise ship terminals...

Going by this thread ,yes. But don't forget what Dame Vera sang about bluebells

Just you wait 😁

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, zap99 said:

But with FCO advice still saying only Essential Travel, if you go then travel insurance won’t cover you. 

48 minutes ago, Snow Hill said:

But with FCO advice still saying only Essential Travel, if you go then travel insurance won’t cover you. 

That will change soon, perhaps as soon as next week.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, zap99 said:

My point was that you can't buy stupidity, but you can elect it!

Your point was?

We are not yet 24 hours from Tulsa!

• Haha 1