Goodbye Paul Gauguin

Dolebludger

After reading this foum about what was once our favorite cruise since 2002, I guess it is now over! The new owner of the PG is certainly behaving badly. I won't do business with an outfit like that.  But someday, the pandemic will be over (one way or another) and we would like to visit French Polynesia at least one more time. But doing land resorts there is rather lacking. Too expensive and insufficient service. So I must ask, what other cruise lines go there that we could consider that would be onboard all inclusive?  I know that Princess used to have a cruise there, but it was just another mass market cruise from what we have heard and read. So what alternatives do we have. if any?

Edited by Dolebludger

56 minutes ago, Dolebludger said:

After reading this foum about what was once our favorite cruise since 2002, I guess it is now over! The new owner of the PG is certainly behaving badly. I won't do business with an outfit like that.  But someday, the pandemic will be over (one way or another) and we would like to visit French Polynesia at least one more time. But doing land resorts there is rather lacking. Too expensive and insufficient service. So I must ask, what other cruise lines go there that we could consider that would be onboard all inclusive?  I know that Princess used to have a cruise there, but it was just another mass market cruise from what we have heard and read. So what alternatives do we have. if any?

I agree with you that the PG is over for us, unless the ship gets sold again.

Navigator sometimes has dedicated FP itineraries, I would definitely consider that.  I might consider Windstar but stairs would be a problem for us.

Then again, we like the islands, and actually don't like fancy resorts.  So we would just go back to Moorea and stay at the lovely French/Tahitian hotel, Les Tipaniers.  A different kind of holiday, for sure, but lovely.

I am scheduled to take a 10 day  PG cruise in about 4 months.  So what are your specific complaints about PG?  I read some of the posts about the cancellation policy, but are your complaints more than that such as poor quality, service, etc.  

Thanks, Rick

9 hours ago, stromer said:

I am scheduled to take a 10 day  PG cruise in about 4 months.  So what are your specific complaints about PG?  I read some of the posts about the cancellation policy, but are your complaints more than that such as poor quality, service, etc.  

Thanks, Rick

Nope, although I have not sailed her since the sale to Ponant. For me, it's simply what we consider the bad business over the covid crisis and their cancellation policies. It's a lovely ship with an exceptional staff and a great experience.

Bad business practices. Anti-consumer behavior.

We cancelled a cruise in February for August 2021 obviously well under the 121 days for advance cancellation where you would get a full refund of the deposit, the policy attached to our reservation. Nope, Ponant said tough.

Used a credit card dispute and got our significant deposit back.

Never doing business with them again.

• Like 2

Been away for some time - so what has all happened?

We were booked to sail about this time on one of the 11 nights with family in four rooms but we cancelled way back due to other circumstances.  Glad we did simply due to the fact it would have never happened.

But I would be interested to hear when it sold and how things have been since as we had PG in the back of our minds for future travel.

We are not happy with Ponant, and neither is our TA.  However, being on the Paul Gauguin is amongst some of our favorite things.  

Assuming the PG experience remains essentially the same (as it did when Regent moved on), abandoning the ship because we don't like the current operator / ownership seems to us like cutting off our noses to spite our faces.

• Like 1

To answer a question I believe was directed to me, I have no information about service and such on recent PG cruises. But when a company changes it’s policies in an unfavorable way to the consumer AFTER execution of the contract with the consumer, I’m done with them.

• Like 1

Also, as to Windstar, the cabins (notice I didn’t say suites) are only 188 sq. ft. in size on the ship that cruises in French Polynesia.much smaller than the standard balcony cabins on the PG — and those aren’t very large either.

A sad aspect of this is that the previous group, before the Ponant bandits bought it, was one of the companies that I actually liked doing business with.  They not only sold a superior product, but they had a deep commitment to the preservation and resurrection of the Polynesian culture.  This included, but was not limited to, paying for Polynesian teenagers to go out on archaeological digs to learn first hand about the history of their culture.  It also included a commitment to the environment, also backed up with real money, not just words.  Richard, Diane, etc.: we really miss you as owners of this wonderful ship.

Edited by DavidTheWonderer
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Covepointcruiser said:

I don’t think any cruise line on Cruise Critic has happy customers (all COVID related refunds and cancellations).   I read that French Polynesia has now opened for travelers and cruises.   Any word when the ship will begin cruising?

Officially the PG will start sailing with international guest on July 29, 2020. 

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I will be on this first cruise after reopening....July 29...10 days. Everyone is so negative here. We are excited and will have a fantastic time even with having to endure a COVID test in LA prior to our flight to Tahiti!! It will be our first trip to FP!!

11 hours ago, jimm942 said:

... Everyone is so negative here. ...

Many people, including me, are outraged at the new owner (Ponant) unilaterally trying to change the refund policy for cancelled cruises, in violation of the actual agreement they and their customers both signed.  I haven't seen any of that negativity directed at the Paul Gauguin ship or the spectacular crew that makes sailing with her so special.  So I hope you have a wonderful time in paradise.

Yes, let me be clear that I have no evidence of any degrdation of service and experience aboard the PG. I hope there will be none.  However, even if upper management decides to honor its original contracts with guests, I will still be very hesitant to book the PG until I first read some post-resumption reviews. You see, when a corporation starts "penny pinching" it often doesn't know when to stop! If onboard service and experience goes into a decline, it will not be the fault of the crew. It will be the fault of management.

• Like 1

On 7/8/2020 at 3:36 PM, jimm942 said:

My wife and I will be on this first cruise after reopening....July 29...10 days. Everyone is so negative here. We are excited and will have a fantastic time even with having to endure a COVID test in LA prior to our flight to Tahiti!! It will be our first trip to FP!!

Many people here are waiting to hear how this cruise works out. Yes, Ponant Corporate sucks, I think we all agree, but a lot of us, including myself, have money tied up in future PG cruises, and hope to enjoy FP as we have in the past sailing on the PG. Please make sure you share your experience once you return. I hope you have a great cruise.

Soooo! Here the deal ....our cruise ( 7-29) was cancelled and before we could cancel our flights from LAX we got word from PG that Tahiti was opening up on 7-15. When we got the cancellation notice we were offered 100% credit (additional) on our original deposit of 1200.  When the cruise was reinstated and our original sailing (7-29) was going to be the first post COVID cruise to sail our TA not only got us our original fare back but with the additional 1200 credit!!!

So.....I think they have been fare to us and we have 2 weeks to see what happens...

the issue with refund refusals has been going on for months....with major cruise lines and airlines. Everyone is trying to protect their money...... if you can afford a Tahiti cruise then please understand that a few months of not getting your money back won’t  kill you!    For Gods sake!!

I’ll report  back After our cruise and hope I don’t have to eat (drink) my words!!!!

Regardless of the fact the you can afford a Tahiti cruise IMHO has nothing to do with refunds. The way I look at it is, this is our money and good business prevailing, refund it. Most people on PG are not rich, but like us save our money to cruise. We will go to Tahiti again, but not with PG. 

• Like 3

I hope you have a wonderful time on your 7/29 cruise but your admonishment of those if who view Ponant’s unilateral change in their terms and conditions as bad business seems ill informed. We had several other travel plans affected by pandemic, with no other issues in being made whole (including by another cruise line) 

Ponant is behaving like a company disinterested in the long view and that there is a firewall between them and the PG is troubling. Frankly, we had doubts they would be around for us to use our future cruise credit.  No worries, we filed a credit card dispute (first ever) and received everything back.

We love the PG and hope they survive and thrive but it will take time and multiple reviews by folks I trust before we consider another booking.

• Like 3

For those who would consider Windstar but have concerns over the steps or small cabins, there is word that the Breeze will also be down there for, I think, part of 2021 and 2022. So, you can get the Tahiti experience in the just refurbished and lengthen Breeze. Smiling WS service and large cabins with verandas (if you wish) and lifts to each level. 

1 hour ago, milepig said:

For those who would consider Windstar but have concerns over the steps or small cabins, there is word that the Breeze will also be down there for, I think, part of 2021 and 2022. So, you can get the Tahiti experience in the just refurbished and lengthen Breeze. Smiling WS service and large cabins with verandas (if you wish) and lifts to each level. 

Yes, newly released itineraries for Nov 2021 through at least the end of March 2022. Seven day Society Island cruises and eleven day Society Island and Tuamotu Cruises. It will be interesting to compare prices and cabins.