Refundable deposits

Hi cruisers. I normally sail Carnival and I am thinking about trying out RCL.  I currently have a sailing booked on the Carnival Mardi Gras for the inaugural sailing but it sounds like the ship will be further delayed. I was looking to book a back up cruise bc knowing Carnival they will wait for some time to let us know if the ship is delayed.  But all I come up with are non refundable deposit rates. Is this standard for RCL or am I just missing something?  Thanks in advance!

You have to go all the way thru the booking process and after entering all name etc on the page where you would pick insurnace and prepaid grats is the amount to make it refundable.  All suites and guarantee cabins are non refundable although some have posted that they were able to get refundable on a guarantee

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, JaxsMama said:

Is this standard for RCL or am I just missing something? 

The refundable option shows up toward the end of the booking process. I wouldn't book anything outside of final payment until after sailings resume.

44 minutes ago, molly361 said:

You have to go all the way thru the booking process and after entering all name etc on the page where you would pick insurnace and prepaid grats is the amount to make it refundable.  All suites and guarantee cabins are non refundable although some have posted that they were able to get refundable on a guarantee

are junior suites non-refundable deposits?

1 hour ago, JaxsMama said:

Hi cruisers. I normally sail Carnival and I am thinking about trying out RCL.  I currently have a sailing booked on the Carnival Mardi Gras for the inaugural sailing but it sounds like the ship will be further delayed. I was looking to book a back up cruise bc knowing Carnival they will wait for some time to let us know if the ship is delayed.  But all I come up with are non refundable deposit rates. Is this standard for RCL or am I just missing something?  Thanks in advance!

Anything you book before August 1st can be cancelled within 48 hrs, though of course I'd allow at least a extra day. You get a fcc for whatever you have paid.

Imo there is no pt in paying extra for a refundable deposit if you intend to cruise by april 22 on rcl.

See cwc or cruise with confidence terms.

The refundable option shows up toward the end of the booking process. I wouldn't book anything outside of final payment until after sailings resume.
What if the non refundable deposit right now is only $50-55, as in the case of Carnival?
would you still wait for Cruises to start sailing as usual?
Won't the prices shoot up once cruises resume like before?

8 minutes ago, drsel said:

What if the non refundable deposit right now is only $50-55, as in the case of Carnival?
would you still wait for Cruises to start sailing as usual?
Won't the prices shoot up once cruises resume like before?

The uncertainty of the cruise lines combined with the uncertainty of when/how any cruises will sail, makes any cost savings immaterial. One only need to read some of the FCC and/or refund threads to realize that dealing with any cruise line at this time is not worth the potential headaches. There will be cruises in the future at sub $100pppd prices (my usual limit) - I'm not worried.

3 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Anything you book before August 1st can be cancelled within 48 hrs, though of course I'd allow at least a extra day. You get a fcc for whatever you have paid.

Imo there is no pt in paying extra for a refundable deposit if you intend to cruise by april 22 on rcl.

See cwc or cruise with confidence terms.

I booked one where the extra money for refundable was $16.

• Like 2

Just now, Merion_Mom said:

I booked one where the extra money for refundable was $16.

I'm just hoping eventually I get my cruises. Unless rcl goes under I'll use the fcc if they cancel. Refundable doesnt help much I can see right now.

The uncertainty of the cruise lines combined with the uncertainty of when/how any cruises will sail, makes any cost savings immaterial. One only need to read some of the FCC and/or refund threads to realize that dealing with any cruise line at this time is not worth the potential headaches. There will be cruises in the future at sub $100pppd prices (my usual limit) - I'm not worried.
I am getting less than 50 dollars per person per day for April and May 2021
I am sure that everything should be ok by then.
Or do you think we should wait till 2022

I wouldn't be.

Biker, who won't be tempted by low prices or even 200% FCC like Virgin has for cancelled cruises.

Wow Virgin actually gives you a 100% extra FCC if they cancel the cruise !

Which other Cruise lines give you to such a high amount of FCC for a cancelled Cruise?

what about the risk of them defaulting?

23 hours ago, JaxsMama said:

Basically they are non-refund, but part of it might travel to new booking! Ship is delayed by awhile! Here is an interesting article & it does mention Mardi Gras! https://thepointsguy.com/news/carnival-ceo-arnold-donald-interview/?utm_content=B0B0FBDA-AFEA-11EA-BFCC-2FF34744363C&utm_term=editorial&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=thepointsguy&tw=1&utm_medium=social

2 hours ago, drsel said:

Wow Virgin actually gives you a 100% extra FCC if they cancel the cruise !

Which other Cruise lines give you to such a high amount of FCC for a cancelled Cruise?

what about the risk of them defaulting?

Princess has something similar now too, again having all the EXTRA FCC doesn’t really matter, we all just want to know we can go and go safely.

Princess has something similar now too, again having all the EXTRA FCC doesn’t really matter, we all just want to know we can go and go safely.
I am planning to book a Princess cruise where the deposit is 50% of the total Cruise fare.
but on the agents website there is no mention of 200% fcc in case the Cruise is cancelled

4 minutes ago, drsel said:

I am planning to book a Princess cruise where the deposit is 50% of the total Cruise fare.
but on the agents website there is no mention of 200% fcc in case the Cruise is cancelled

Princess is not offering 200%.  They are offering 125% just like Royal.