Shore excursion in Cozumel with infant?

Cruise Girly 88

My family will be taking a cruise when our son is about 10 months old. My husband wants to go see the Mayan Ruins while in Cozumel. Is this feasible? We would be booking through the cruise ship. Please no comments about leaving our son home, its not an option. Any personal experiences with taking an infant to Cozumel would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

2 hours ago, Cruise Girly 88 said:

My family will be taking a cruise when our son is about 10 months old. My husband wants to go see the Mayan Ruins while in Cozumel. Is this feasible? We would be booking through the cruise ship. Please no comments about leaving our son home, its not an option. Any personal experiences with taking an infant to Cozumel would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you!

While it’s technically possible, it’s a bit of a logistical nightmare to do the ruins from Cozumel. 
You’ll bus to the ferry terminal.  Then there  is a 45-minute ferry which is infamously called “the vomit comet” for good reason.  The water tends to be quite rough crossing the channel to the mainland.  Once you arrive at Playa Del Carmen you’ll have another bus ride of at least 30 minutes to Tulum or over 1.5 hours to Chichen Itza.   So you’ve used around 3 hours of your day getting there and back.

If you want a quick trip to the ruins at Tulum to say you’ve been there it’s doable, but there is not enough time to see it leisurely and the cute towns of Tulum and Akumal.
If you did the ruins on a land trip there is a ton to do in that area, including swimming with sea  turtles at Akumal: Xcaret eco theme park, and many cenotes for swimming and snorkeling. 
So it’s totally up to you of course but IMO it is too rushed to be an enjoyable day. 

The ruins on Cozumel are very small and not impressive, but they are much easier to visit than the bigger ruins on the mainland.  I would only visit them using a cruise line excursion.

Travelling with a 10 month old I would save the ruins for later and enjoy Cozumel.  Lots of family friendly beach clubs - check out Playa Mia (great kiddie splash area) and Paradise Beach. 😎

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Cruise Girly 88 said:

Caugh51654 -Thank you! I didn't know it was that long of a trip.

c-leg5 - We were planning on doing Costa Maya, Cozumel, Roatan, and CocoCay end of April 2021.

Unfortunately none of those ports offer an easy trip to the ruins, with a child that age.

Your only options would be Costa Maya (1-2 hour land trip each way, independently or through ship); or, Cozumel, very small ruins on the island which are not impressive but could be easily arranged, or long trip, involving ferry to the mainland.

At the moment, I think the bigger question is what options will even be available for excursions by April, especially in Costa Maya.

Whilst it is fun to plan and research, I would wait until much nearer the time to make any decisions.

Edited by c-leg5