Rhapsody summer homeport change Venice -> Ravenna

3 hours ago, little britain said:

I have not received the RCI email so did not know that.

Seriously how many people fly into Venice the day of the cruise?🤷‍♀️

Likely not many will, but I think they shouldn't have to travel to PR for the shuttle if they do. Would be nice if the shuttle stopped at the airport and PR and make 2 pick-ups.

Has anyone flown into the Bologna airport? It doesn't look to be that close to Ravenna either, and there doesn't seem to be any simple public transportation options. 

Trieste would have made a better option as an embarkation/debarkation port. It is closer to Venice, has a developed cruise infrastructure, as well as access to an international airport.

• Like 1

We have sailed Rhapsody of the Seas out of Venice several times.  I really did enjoy this little ship.  Easy to navigate.  But unfortunately getting mighty shabby of late.  I would hesitate to make any bookings on her now as my husband and I were watching something on Netflix the other evening and we came across Rhapsody of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas and Brilliance of the Seas on the auction block.  RCCL has these three ships up for sale to raise much needed cash.   RCCL is desperately trying to get deposits from us.  I would avoid booking the above three ships.  In fact, I am not booking any future cruises right now and risk losing deposits (my credit card insurance will no longer cover any deposits made after March 5, 2020).  So no bookings are going to be made by us until cruising itself resumes and even then we will take a wait and see approach.   I am sad that the number of cruises out of Venice is dwindling.  I do understand the reasons.  But I can tell you what an extraordinary experience, especially on Regal Princess arriving at dusk with Pavarotti playing on the loudspeakers. Pure heavenly.   

7 hours ago, lr657 said:

Likely not many will, but I think they shouldn't have to travel to PR for the shuttle if they do. Would be nice if the shuttle stopped at the airport and PR and make 2 pick-ups.

Has anyone flown into the Bologna airport? It doesn't look to be that close to Ravenna either, and there doesn't seem to be any simple public transportation options. 

Agree with the 2 stop pick up option.

Most people will go via PR to catch the People Mover so imho that would be the preferred pickup location for most.   It is easier to get to PR than it is to get out to the airport again, even if you were planning on taking a water taxi or Alilaguna to the port. 

Edited by little britain
  • Like 1

What a shame. We have been lucky enough to have sailed from Venice on the Splendour, Legend & Vision and were hoping to return for the Rhapsody in 2022. Loved flying in and taking the water taxi to our hotel! Short walk to the people mover and the port.

Have been to Ravenna, not walkable from the port like Venice. Nice enough for a couple of hours. 

Bologna was about 1 1/2 hours away by bus. Not touristy, which is part of it's charm.

Agree, Trieste is a better option.

10 hours ago, lr657 said:

I've flown into Bologna airport several times, it's a small but decent airport.  Part of it's charm is that you need to take a shuttle bus from the plane to the airport terminal.  The bus ride is about 100 ft to get you across a service road for the baggage carts around the terminal.  We always rented a car and drove when we flew into Bologna.  The least expensive way to get to Ravenna would be to take a bus from the airport to the train station and then the train to Ravenna.  The easiest way is by pre-arranged limo and there are plenty of companies that provide that service in Italy.  It's about an hour drive and the costs appear to be similar for the approximately hour drive from Rome to the port.  Ravenna looks fine for an overnight but I'm not sure I would spend much more time there.

My biggest issue would be an additional connection for the air travel.  I've always been able to arrange a direct flight from the US, sometimes connecting in New York directly to Venice.  I'm not aware of any direct flights to Bologna from the US, so you'll need to have another stop somewhere in Europe. 

There may be no good solutions (and I hate bus rides) but I would probably still stay in Venice and take advantage of the RCL shuttle.  Venice is a very interesting and unique place, I would go to Venice any chance I get.

Edited by ipeeinthepool
  • Like 1

This is disappointing, not only because of the extra time and delays for embarkation and disembarkation but also the potential loss of relaxing and enjoying Venice before and after. If the shuttle goes from Marco Polo, that's a 90 minute journey from San Marco, possibly before and after the cruise(s). 

I wonder what the real reason is for this change? I don't think it's about being proactive and 'defending' Venice! Presently both MSC and Costa still show as cruising to and from Venice in 2021; additionally, it's likely that Royal will lose out by this itinerary change. We'll see.

1 hour ago, ipeeinthepool said:

I've flown into Bologna airport several times, it's a small but decent airport.  Part of it's charm is that you need to take a shuttle bus from the plane to the airport terminal.  The bus ride is about 100 ft to get you across a service road for the baggage carts around the terminal.  We always rented a car and drove when we flew into Bologna.  The least expensive way to get to Ravenna would be to take a bus from the airport to the train station and then the train to Ravenna.  The easiest way is by pre-arranged limo and there are plenty of companies that provide that service in Italy.  It's about an hour drive and the costs appear to be similar for the approximately hour drive from Rome to the port.  Ravenna looks fine for an overnight but I'm not sure I would spend much more time there.

My biggest issue would be an additional connection for the air travel.  I've always been able to arrange a direct flight from the US, sometimes connecting in New York directly to Venice.  I'm not aware of any direct flights to Bologna from the US, so you'll need to have another stop somewhere in Europe. 

There may be no good solutions (and I hate bus rides) but I would probably still stay in Venice and take advantage of the RCL shuttle.  Venice is a very interesting and unique place, I would go to Venice any chance I get.

Thanks for the helpful information. We have been lucky enough to visit Venice a few times previously, so are now trying to decide what option would work best for us. Since we are B3B on Rhapsody followed by a TA from Barcelona, we likely won't be traveling very light. The thought of dragging suitcases from to a bus and train to get to to Ravenna from the airport is not very appealing to us. I guess we'll price shuttles and do some flight comparisons before making a decision between staying in Venice or Ravenna.

16 hours ago, little britain said:

Most European guests fly in the same day and fly out as well with multiple connection from many European airports. This may not be possible anymore when transiting to and from Ravenna, which btw has an ugly out of town industrial harbor.

Royals justification as laid down in post#1 sucks and is not honest w/r to Venice port usage.

Rhapsody they explain cannot sail into Venice. But why does Vision sail for an overnight stop in May 2021?

Same class ~same tonnage

18 minutes ago, Kbonner said:

Royals justification as laid down in post#1 sucks and is not honest w/r to Venice port usage.

Rhapsody they explain cannot sail into Venice. But why does Vision sail for an overnight stop in May 2021?

Same class ~same tonnage

I was wondering the same thing. Why can't Rhapsody sail in Venice but Vision can? Could it be possible that Vision will be docking at a different dock that doesn't have the facilities for embarking and disembarking. 

1 hour ago, Kbonner said:

Most European guests fly in the same day and fly out as well with multiple connection from many European airports. This may not be possible anymore when transiting to and from Ravenna, which btw has an ugly out of town industrial harbor.

I disagree : 'most' do not. I have sailed from Venice many times, only once did I fly in the day of departure and our plane was delayed 2hrs at LGW so we made the ship with barely an hour to spare.

From what I remember of Ravenna port it was a shed on the waterfront -hardly set up to be a port of embarkation.

• Like 1

I would be less unhappy about this if the RC shuttles had an option for pickup at Piazzale Roma.

From where I live, there are no nonstop routes to anywhere in Europe, and no one-stop routes to either Venice or Bologna. Last year for a cruise from Stockholm I drove to Newark for a nonstop flight; there used to be a nonstop EWR-VCE, but it's not on the schedule now.

I travel alone, so MSC isn't a good option.

2 hours ago, little britain said:

I disagree : 'most' do not. I have sailed from Venice many times, only once did I fly in the day of departure and our plane was delayed 2hrs at LGW so we made the ship with barely an hour to spare.

From what I remember of Ravenna port it was a shed on the waterfront -hardly set up to be a port of embarkation.

+1 
I’d say most travel the day before. If you fly to the port on boarding day, you’re one missed/cancelled/late flight from missing the start of the cruise. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, little britain said:

You are 100% correct on both counts Ravenna port is pretty much a dump and  we’ve also taken a chance and flew in Venice on the day of the cruise on one occasion once again like yourself we were also delayed at Stansted airport and although we made the cruise with time to spare lesson learnt and who really wants to join the ship on embarkation day with all the worries and fly on immediately after debarkation plus the sail away yes is fantastic but you’d be missing out on visiting Venice.

• Like 1

Yeah...  

My excitement for this trip is waning....

First our 2020 cruise was cancelled and we lifted and shifted to this 2021, and lost our coveted cabin and changed routes

Now no more Venice... 

If we do Venice then I have to figure out a way to get there as the ship is only doing transfers to Marco Polo airport not to Venice.

and I still suspect Rhapsody may be swapped out for another ship.

I've kinda given up on planning this cruise.

Edited by RCCL Fan

4 hours ago, Billy Baltic said:

+1 
I’d say most travel the day before. If you fly to the port on boarding day, you’re one missed/cancelled/late flight from missing the start of the cruise. 

I don't know...I've flown in on the day of sailing in the past. Not to Venice, but to Rome a couple of times when I've booked the flights with RCI. I also know a lot of people from the UK who do. I've also heard of many from Spain and Italy who fly in the day of. Just because you may not personally do so, it doesn't mean that most people do.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, cloud_nine said:

I don't know...I've flown in on the day of sailing in the past. Not to Venice, but to Rome a couple of times when I've booked the flights with RCI. I also know a lot of people from the UK who do. I've also heard of many from Spain and Italy who fly in the day of. Just because you may not personally do so, it doesn't mean that most people do.

OK. In my opinion most people travel the day before 🤷‍♂️

29 minutes ago, cloud_nine said:

“when I’ve booked flights with a RCI” covers you when the flight is delayed, as it’s their responsibility to get you to the ship.  

34 minutes ago, little britain said:

“when I’ve booked flights with a RCI” covers you when the flight is delayed, as it’s their responsibility to get you to the ship.  

Good point.
The first time we sailed out of Rome we had flights with RC. They assigned us to a 6am flight out of Dublin which was delayed. The transfer from FCO to the port was very delayed. We checked in around an hour before sail away - tired and hungry. Day 1 is a day you pay for. After that experience we book our own flights, travel the day before and enjoy day 1. 

• Like 4

On 6/18/2020 at 9:26 PM, little britain said:

We have , three times ! , twice with RCI packages with flights and transfers included . We have also done our own thing booking flights and took the airport bus on the same day ,  have been to Venice a few times as port stops so don’t feel the need to actually stay overnight . 

I have only just found out about this change , a bit pig sick really as we already lifted and shifted our Rhapsody cruise from May this year to May next year . If 2020 had been a normal year this change would not have been an issue but now it is as hubby cannot sit on a bus for 2hours plus , he has mobility issues and has to be able to move around and not sit for long periods immobilised in an upright position . 
I will wait and see when the e.mail comes in , as yet we have not received the new invoice for the lifted  and shifted cruise , only confirmation. Under RCI rules I think we can still have a free change of ship and sailing , will cross that bridge when I come to it . 
On the upside we already pre paid for the transfers from the airport to the ship on the May 2020 cruise which carry over to the 2021 cruise . 
Foreign travel really sucks right now . 

Edited by heatherb1958
  • Like 1

We are not very happy about this change either heatherb.

We too are arriving on the day and have done so before for different  ports.

I know a lot of people from the UK who do this aswell. 

My question is would a shuttle bus doing a 2.5 hour journey normally have a toilet on it.

My husband has a fear of going on a journey with no toilet and is saying he would rather not do that trip.

On a side note heatherb after advice from you regarding our l&s I received my revised invoice 4 weeks later.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, orla56 said:

My question is would a shuttle bus doing a 2.5 hour journey normally have a toilet on it.

My husband has a fear of going on a journey with no toilet and is saying he would rather not do that trip.

On a side note heatherb after advice from you regarding our l&s I received my revised invoice 4 weeks later.

You could always rent car or private transfer who could stop if necessary, but if course that adds more expense.

I agree Venice as the embarkation port for most is the draw. I didn't understand the fuss until I went, it is worth the fuss.  At least you have time to plan around it or change it. 

FYI -I have flown in the day of the cruise from the USA the well, but I gave myself 10 hours to make it. Arrived at 8am (flight was delayed almost an hour) and we had to embark by 4pm. People who are working don't always have the option to add extra days before.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, orla56 said:

Perhaps you should fly into Bologna, it's only about an hour car ride to Ravenna.    There appears to be plenty of car services operating between Bologna and Ravenna.  

• Like 1