Cancelling SW-how to get credit for next year

petuniaflower

We will likely cancel our August trip but are booked with SW (lowest fare price).  I understand SW will give you a credit for future use, but I think we would have to use it within 1 year, is that correct, or do you just have to book it within 1 year?  We would like to use the credit for the same time frame (August) next year, is that possible, and is there a time limit we should cancel by.  For example should we wait to cancel until first week of August so that we have until same time next year?

Thanks

I believe the credit has to be used for a flight that occurs within 12 months of the original booking date. So, we booked our SW lowest fare price flights in mid-March 2020 for our October 2020 cruise which we have moved to November 2021. We will have to use the credit for flights that will occur by mid-March 2021, or we will lose the credits. So we will be taking flights to *somewhere* before then!

Maybe this can save you some time. We have a flight scheduled with SWA for August 14 and I tried to rebook online from the email they sent me about the trip. Flight calendar was only available until January 4th 2021. After calling and staying on hold for 44 minutes...booking agent told me the best thing to do was wait until closer to my original travel day and then if the calendar date was not available that far out then to ask for a refund and that was probably what was going to happen since I had already mentioned August 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

On 6/26/2020 at 9:11 PM, Daderabit said:

Maybe this can save you some time. We have a flight scheduled with SWA for August 14 and I tried to rebook online from the email they sent me about the trip. Flight calendar was only available until January 4th 2021. After calling and staying on hold for 44 minutes...booking agent told me the best thing to do was wait until closer to my original travel day and then if the calendar date was not available that far out then to ask for a refund and that was probably what was going to happen since I had already mentioned August 2021.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Two things ...

Not all classes of WN tix are refundable,

And

For those that are non-refundable, WN  issues a credit valid for 12 months from the original flight purchase date ...

Any excptions due to Covid are on the  WN website

Edited by pms4104
  • Thanks 1