Cruise Critic Community
soloadventurer

Carnival to sell at least 6 ships

2 hours ago, Yorkvillain said:

I heard they were selling the Symphony and Anthem. What are the other six?

Just a guess... Allure, Oasis, Harmony, Quantum, Spectrum, and Empress. 

This is done all the time.  They usually sell older ships to 3rd tier European cruise lines.

Posted (edited)

Carnival is getting rid of there Fantasy Class ships, which is considered one of them most successfull fleet of ships ever.

All built right before the huge demand for balcony cabins.

Which makes them seem very outdated in today's cruising world.

They did attempt to add balconies on one or two or them but it made it the ugliest ship out there....

Edited by matj2000

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, A&L_Ont said:

Just a guess... Allure, Oasis, Harmony, Quantum, Spectrum, and Empress. 

Empress I can see.  Sarcasm, okay.  Never been on Empress but I know she's popular.

Edited by BND

51 minutes ago, matj2000 said:

Carnival is getting rid of there Fantasy Class ships, which is considered one of them most successfull fleet of ships ever.

They did attempt to add balconies on one or two or them but it made it the ugliest ship out there....

Our first cruise ever was on Fantasy, but we figured that class would go.  We had a "suite" with a balcony.  There were very few onboard.

I'm sure the Costa Concordia is on the list.  Oh wait.......

Thank goodness they are getting rid of the Anthem, she's cursed, has been since day one!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

For sale is NOT sold.

Grandeur was "for sale" for MANY years.

11 minutes ago, SRF said:

For sale is NOT sold.

Grandeur was "for sale" for MANY years.

Yes but in the past they kept them running itineraries until they found a new home for them.  I think the future will see them put in cold layup while they wait for buyers or even scrap some of  them altogether.  An abundance of excess capacity will result in a lot of differences from How they dealt with old ships in the past. 

11 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Along with Royal's Sovereign Class, Carnival's Fantasy Class were called "Mega" sized Cruise Ships, Cruising in late 80s-early 90's other Cruise ship's were tiny Love Boat sized... Agree, shortage available Balcony's on ship's and High Cost, wasn't until 1998 when Voyager came out with many Balcony Cabins that was able to afford one.

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Yes but in the past they kept them running itineraries until they found a new home for them.

Right before corona, we sailed on a ship that was already announced for transfer to a sister line.  Wow, was that thing in disrepair.  Literally buckets in the hallway to catch pipe drips, saw this in three locations.  Also masking tape / duct tape type 'repairs' around the public areas.  We laughed, as leaks are not a good thing to see on a ship.  Sure, these were pipe leaks, not seawater leaks below, but still a bad image.

I expect the same thing for ships identified for sale / scrap / transfer due to corona.  Just keep sailing, put in zero for maintenance and repair.

5 minutes ago, mpk said:

I expect the same thing for ships identified for sale / scrap / transfer due to corona.  Just keep sailing, put in zero for maintenance and repair.

With full occupancy that makes sense.  With reduced occupancy it would cost more to keep them running than i5 would to put them in cold layup. Unfortunately there are some ships I just don’t see returning to service.  Also trying to get enough crew to man every ship will present logistical challenges.  Better off in so many ways to run with a reduced fleet.

15 minutes ago, mpk said:

Right before corona, we sailed on a ship that was already announced for transfer to a sister line.  Wow, was that thing in disrepair.  Literally buckets in the hallway to catch pipe drips, saw this in three locations.  Also masking tape / duct tape type 'repairs' around the public areas.  We laughed, as leaks are not a good thing to see on a ship.  Sure, these were pipe leaks, not seawater leaks below, but still a bad image.

What ship was that ?!

1 hour ago, TwizzlersAddict said:

I wonder how much can a cruise line get when scrapping a ship. I see CC did an article a few months ago on details of the process, but curious how much can a line get for a scrapped Fantasy or Sovereign class ship. Any insight Chief?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/articles.cfm?ID=5212

Kind of funny that the ship they show in the picture is of an aircraft carrier being scrapped!  Lol      You'd think Cruise Critic might know the difference.

14 hours ago, matj2000 said:

Nowhere has Carnival said they were selling the Fantasy Class ships. The article is poorly written and as a result people think it is the Fantasy Class. Carnival had announced last fall that at least 5 Costa ships were being sold by 2021, this is just an acceleration of that.

The discussion around the Fantasy Class ships showed while they are the oldest and smallest ships in the Carnival line's fleet, they are very popular.

Posted (edited)
21 hours ago, ECCruise said:

I’d go so far as to say it’s highly probable you’re going to see some ships actually scrapped

I’ll leave these screen shots right here and walk away....

C4C71C0B-6C63-4A53-B0F5-83289B8682E6.jpeg

784220FB-CE3C-4FCF-8C92-15F4E45104E7.jpeg

86E22E26-D5D3-4985-9BFF-DE660A270A04.jpeg

Edited by Tapi

1 hour ago, EarloftheSeas said:

Thanks. Great article. I do remain a bit skeptical about the future of these 2 Carnival ships after this week’s announcement. Once we know where they are headed after they drop off crew members, the truth will be clearer. I just find it more than coincidental that two of Carnival’s oldest ships were selected for this endeavor in India, specially after Carnival said that some of the selected 6 ships are headed for the scrapyard. 

You think I could get My Harmony cruise vacation in before they sell it?? If Harmony sails in Sept we will be there..