CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

14 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

Hasn't it been on the market a long time, starting well before this present crisis?

Quite possible

I just said it was on the market 

They sold off the Ocean Princess  a few years ago  so maybe not enough interest in the  R ships for Princess fans ??

Considering that they possess all of the rest of the former R-Class(Renaissance) ships in their respective fleets, It's highly likely that either Azamara or Oceania will purchase the Pacific Princess, once Carnival Corp. is desperate enough to let her go at a rock-bottom price.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Quite possible

I just said it was on the market 

They sold off the Ocean Princess  a few years ago  so maybe not enough interest in the  R ships for Princess fans ??

I think they sell well. I just think they are more expensive to operate.

6 hours ago, LHT28 said:

Pacific Princess on the market

http://cruiseship.homestead.com/cruiseships.html

For quite some time, Prinsendam was reportedly on the market before a buyer was found and an acceptable price was being paid.  I'd expect that for Pacific Princess as well.  Both, in their own way, are unique vessels who have many loyal cruisers.

7 hours ago, san diego sue said:

Glad to hear that. When the Grand had the big refurbish (took off skywalkers, re did Atrium. etc) we were on the first sailing.

Since then we have been on it four times but the last time was two years ago and looked a bit tired. Glad that she looks good after the 2019 refurbish. When all this is over we will have to sail on her again. Thanks for telling me, hope she stays in the fleet.

You may have to travel a bit of a distance to sail on her though. The plan was to move her to Asia for a season then home port her in Southampton. No idea what Princess plans are for her now, though I would like to see the Grand staying home ported in San Francisco.

12 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

will mega cruise ship go the same way as the A380.......

....and the 747.  Although, I think, the 747 had a longer career than the A380.  

It will be interesting to watch as the cruise industry "evolves".  I'd think it would be more difficult to weekly "fill" (whatever that is going to mean if social distancing has to continue) a ship that holds 5000+ guests as compared to one that holds half or less than that number.  It will all probably come down to "the yield" that the cruise line needs for a particular ship/cruise.  

The Pacific has been listed for sale for years, and there’s always a rumor of it leaving the fleet, yet it remains a beloved member of the fleet. I can’t see Princess rescheduling the uber popular Tahiti season for 2021 only to have her leave the fleet, cancel Tahiti a second year in a row, and thus upset pax who moved their booking again.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

The Pacific has been listed for sale for years, and there’s always a rumor of it leaving the fleet, yet it remains a beloved member of the fleet. I can’t see Princess rescheduling the uber popular Tahiti season for 2021 only to have her leave the fleet, cancel Tahiti a second year in a row, and thus upset pax who moved their booking again.  

Thank you. I thought I had read previously that the Pacific Princess was for sale (but was not sure) which is why I posted hasn't it been on sale for awhile. Thanks again for confirming it.

35 minutes ago, cruisequeen4ever said:

Shortly after the Grand Princess was launched, there was a similar website which showed a unique ship that looked just like the Grand Princess for sale. At the time (and probably still) - the shopping cart handle looked very distinct. It made me question those websites that lists ships for sale as obviously the 1 year old ship was not for sale. It made me think "anything is for sale for any price but we are not actively trying".

I have no doubt that Oceania and Azamara have already approached CCL with a price they are willing to pay for the Pacific Princess. If Princess wants to get rid of it, I am sure they already have offers.

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

I have no doubt that Oceania and Azamara have already approached CCL with a price they are willing to pay for the Pacific Princess. If Princess wants to get rid of it, I am sure they already have offers.

I hope  Oceania is not going to buy another R ship

though we love them  they are getting on in years 

But who know  what the future of cruising will be like

3 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I hope  Oceania is not going to buy another R ship

though we love them  they are getting on in years 

But who know  what the future of cruising will be like

I personally think the ships with the better space ratio would be more desirable in these times. 

16 hours ago, Ombud said:

Don, IMHO it's also which ships turn the greatest profit (onboard spending, operating / upkeep cost).  That's why I thought the oldest would go. But I personally would like them to keep a smaller one for certain ports. Those mega ships can't get everywhere

For years Princess has been eliminating itineraries that were unique to Princess but could not be accessed with the larger ships. The more Princess does this, the more its itineraries look just like the competition's.

Maybe lots of people find the ideal cruise to be one that goes to St. Thomas, St. Maarten and a private island. Multiple cruise lines offer that itinerary.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Coral said:

Question is whether anyone is "willing to pay" significantly more than scrap value for a cruise ship?

1 hour ago, muffydawg said:

Sell for scrap. 

That may or not work.    What is scrap metal worth now?    If no one is buying  may not be the best option either.  

20 hours ago, Coral said:

Shortly after the Grand Princess was launched, there was a similar website which showed a unique ship that looked just like the Grand Princess for sale. At the time (and probably still) - the shopping cart handle looked very distinct. It made me question those websites that lists ships for sale as obviously the 1 year old ship was not for sale. It made me think "anything is for sale for any price but we are not actively trying".

It has been for sale for years. Would be crazy to sell it now as some ports wont take large ships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, waltd said:

That may or not work.    What is scrap metal worth now?    If no one is buying  may not be the best option either.  

According to this weeks Cruise Radio news Brief

Carnival Corporation revealed that it will be selling six ships, with some going to secondary and tertiary markets and some just becoming scrap

• Like 1

8 hours ago, npcl said:

According to this weeks Cruise Radio news Brief

Carnival Corporation revealed that it will be selling six ships, with some going to secondary and tertiary markets and some just becoming scrap

Press releasae does not mention the scrap option:

In connection with its capacity optimization strategy, the company intends to accelerate the removal of ships in fiscal 2020 which were previously expected to be sold over the ensuing years. The company already has preliminary agreements for the disposal of 6 ships which are expected to leave the fleet in the next 90 days and is currently working toward additional agreements.

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-reports-summary-second-quarter-results

7 hours ago, caribill said:

Press releasae does not mention the scrap option:

Ship owners do not scrap themselves.  They sell the ship to a ship breaker.  Sell.  Lots of them in Alang.  EM

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Essiesmom said:

Ship owners do not scrap themselves.  They sell the ship to a ship breaker.  Sell.  Lots of them in Alang.  EM

Exactly.  Look at what's happening to Pullmantuer ships. For sale (without items of value). 1988 & 1990 engines. Cheap to put in new carpet, beds, repaint ..... I would imagine it's more expensive to replace engines 

https://www.cruiselawnews.com/2020/06/articles/disease/is-pullmantur-cruises-ending-operations/

Edited by Ombud

Just now, Essiesmom said:

I'm sure Caribill  knows how ships are scraped.     Here is an article explaining the scraping comment.   Still not sure  how reliable the article is. but for what it's worth.

https://travelslandia.com/?p=12009&v=920f83e594a1

Edited by waltd
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 5:01 PM, AF-1 said:

rkacruiser;  the 747 has been around since the mid 70's.  So yes it has been around way longer than the A380

Actually the 747 first flight was early 1969 (!) with first delivery in April 1970. What a great aircraft, flew all over the world in them, sadly as a passenger and not up front.