CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

1 hour ago, npcl said:

A lot of differences between a cruise ship and a cargo ship.  With a cargo ship the biggest issues is the equipment and electronics.  With a cruise ship you have that, but instead of holds, you have all of the cabins, kitchens, and decorated internal spaces. Imagine all of the cabins and interior spaces left without AC for an extended period of time.  I would expect that mold would be a major problem and that the furniture, carpets, etc would need to be replaced. I would expect a cruise ship coming from cold layup for any length of time would need a major refit of internal decorated spaces.

Excellent points!  I suspect that the military ships that used to part of the "Ghost Fleet" in San Francisco Bay did not have a lot of soft furnishings on board!  🙂

1 hour ago, Smokeyham said:

Excellent points!  I suspect that the military ships that used to part of the "Ghost Fleet" in San Francisco Bay did not have a lot of soft furnishings on board!  🙂

From the little that I have read of the ships that were stored in Suisun Bay is that the interiors were a mess after a number of years. The navy was basically interested in hulls that could be quickly refitted to bring them back into service.

On 6/27/2020 at 8:54 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

Given the recent deployment announcements this month for fall and winter 2021/22 with Pacific to Tahiti and Grand from LA to Hawaii and Mexico/Sea of Cortez, I'd be surprised if either of them were headed out of the fleet. 

The deployment announcement for the Grand Princess is interesting as the original plan was for her to move to Asia on a slow move to Southampton.

Edit: I just checked the Princess web site and the Grand Princess is still scheduled to depart for Asia via Hawaii in late October 2020

Edited by brisalta

9 minutes ago, brisalta said:

From the little that I have read of the ships that were stored in Suisun Bay is that the interiors were a mess after a number of years. The navy was basically interested in hulls that could be quickly refitted to bring them back into service.

Makes sense, and a very different world from the nice interior fittings of a cruise ship.   

• Like 1

14 hours ago, brisalta said:

The deployment announcement for the Grand Princess is interesting as the original plan was for her to move to Asia on a slow move to Southampton.

Edit: I just checked the Princess web site and the Grand Princess is still scheduled to depart for Asia via Hawaii in late October 2020

She was scheduled to sail in Asia this fall through spring 2021 at which time she moves to Euope for summer 2021. Her deployment beyond that was unknown until the Hawaii/Mexico fall 2021/spring 2022 sailings were announced. 

19 hours ago, npcl said:

I would expect a cruise ship coming from cold layup for any length of time would need a major refit of internal decorated spaces.

Thanks for your post.  The probable issues that you mentioned, I had not considered any of those.  

19 hours ago, brisalta said:

Considering the cruise lines still are selling cruises at the end of this year that most likely will not happen, or if they do may be on different ships and have different itineraries from those that were sold, I would not put a lot of faith in long term deployment scheduled.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, npcl said:

Considering the cruise lines still are selling cruises at the end of this year that most likely will not happen, or if they do may be on different ships and have different itineraries from those that were sold, I would not put a lot of faith in long term deployment scheduled.

That's why the web site says:

We are currently assessing enhanced health and safety protocols in light of COVID-19 and how they may impact our future offerings. Our actual offerings may vary from what is displayed or described here.

Find it interesting that people are positive that Sea and Sun would be sold if Princess are to divest themselves of ships. However, these ships always sail full in Australian waters, would imagine they are very big money spinners for Princess and are very much loved ships Downunder.
If profit is part of the decision making process these two will pass with flying colours - We cruise both here 12 months of the year. 💕👍🇦🇺

6 minutes ago, Porky55 said:

Find it interesting that people are positive that Sea and Sun would be sold if Princess are to divest themselves of ships. However, these ships always sail full in Australian waters, would imagine they are very big money spinners for Princess and are very much loved ships Downunder.
If profit is part of the decision making process these two will pass with flying colours - We cruise both here 12 months of the year. 💕👍🇦🇺

Those are 2 of my favorite ships! I fell in love with cruising on those ships.

6 ships amongst several lines isn't that many. Heck, the Sea and Sun are so much better than the entire Fantasy class line that Carnival has. The Sea and Sun have a ton of balconies compared to ships her age and older.

33 minutes ago, Coral said:

Those are 2 of my favorite ships! I fell in love with cruising on those ships.

6 ships amongst several lines isn't that many. Heck, the Sea and Sun are so much better than the entire Fantasy class line that Carnival has. The Sea and Sun have a ton of balconies compared to ships her age and older.

So glad you agree with me, never felt crowded while on board. Such lovely well laid out ships. 

5 hours ago, Porky55 said:

age. Princess usually gets rid of ships around 25 years. Those ships and the Grand are among the oldest in the Princess fleet.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, npcl said:

age. Princess usually gets rid of ships around 25 years. Those ships and the Grand are among the oldest in the Princess fleet.

And yet Sea Princess does a World Cruise every year full to the brim with happy passengers.
Whilst ever a ship proves seaworthy and profitable why would it be sold - just because it is over 25? On another forum they talk of ships built to last 40 years - so Sea and Sun are just young adults 😉
Also, consider this, IF Sea, Sun, Sapphire and Pacific Princess ARE sold - then we in the Southern Hemisphere will just need more of your Northern Hemisphere favourites 🤔😆🇦🇺

Edited by Porky55

6 hours ago, Porky55 said:

Unfortunately these days, just being profitable is not good enough.

If a newer, bigger, more fuel efficient ship can make more profit than an older, smaller ship, then the older ship will be sold and the newer ship used instead, even if it means itineraries must be changed to ports than can handle the ship size and the number of passengers on the larger ship.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, caribill said:

Unfortunately these days, just being profitable is not good enough.

If a newer, bigger, more fuel efficient ship can make more profit than an older, smaller ship, then the older ship will be sold and the newer ship used instead, even if it means itineraries must be changed to ports than can handle the ship size and the number of passengers on the larger ship.

At the moment no cruise line is anywhere near turning a profit.

And there is that pesky problem of ports that cannot handle the new overly large ships. Also there is the growing feeling among cruisers that the large ships, especially if more than one is in port at the time, just overwhelm the port experience to the point of it not being enjoyable. And some ports also find this destructive, eg. Venice and Dubrovnnik.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Porky55 said:

So glad you agree with me, never felt crowded while on board. Such lovely well laid out ships. 

These ships were built with high space ratio. The goal was not to stuff the ship with as many passengers as possible. I completely agree - they have a great layout. People from other lines who come to the Grand Class ships complain about the layout because it is not always intuitive to those who have sailed well laid out ships.

I think the Sun Class definitely has fans out there

• Like 1

6 hours ago, npcl said:

Princess gets rid of ships at odd times. They transferred the Ocean Princess (Sun Class ship after 2 years) to a sister line, the Sea Princess went away and then came back. 

They transferred sold some of the R ships before they were 25 years.

The Crown Princess and Star Princess (original) left after 10-12 years.

Confusing.......

Edited by Coral

3 hours ago, Coral said:

Princess gets rid of ships at odd times. They transferred the Ocean Princess (Sun Class ship after 2 years) to a sister line, the Sea Princess went away and then came back. 

They transferred sold some of the R ships before they were 25 years.

The Crown Princess and Star Princess (original) left after 10-12 years.

Confusing.......

The Ocean Princess, which is an R class ship, was sold to Oceania and became the MS Sirena. It was not transferred to a sister line.

8 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

The Ocean Princess, which is an R class ship, was sold to Oceania and became the MS Sirena. It was not transferred to a sister line.

There was an Ocean Princess that was a Sun Class ship. It moved to P&O and was MV Oceania. 

Princess re-uses the names of their ships. She entered service in 2000.

Edited by Coral

18 minutes ago, Coral said:

There was an Ocean Princess that was a Sun Class ship. It moved to P&O and was MV Oceania. 

I stand corrected!

Interesting coincidence that the first Ocean Princess became the MV Oceania and the second Ocean Princess was sold to Oceania.

Just love those R class ships...

2 minutes ago, beg3yrs said:

I stand corrected!

Interesting coincidence that the first Ocean Princess became the MV Oceania and the second Ocean Princess was sold to Oceania.

Just love those R class ships...

A lot of lines use common names. Sea, Sun, Ocean, Dawn, Royal, Star, Sky, etc....

3 minutes ago, Coral said:

Yes, Originally there were 4 Sun Class ships Sun, Dawn, Sea and Ocean. The Ocean transferred to P&O a few seasons after it debuted with Princess. It's still sailing. I have spotted it a few times in the Caribbean. The Sea was also transferred to P&O where some modifications were made. After a few years there it returned to Princess which I think was for the 2005/06 winter season. In 2006 we sailed a 14 day Caribbean itinerary with embarkation/disembarkation in both Ft. Lauderdale and Barbados. The embarkation/disembarkation option in Barbados was appreciated by Princess' UK customers. I think this was the only season this itinerary was offered.

Princess purchased three of the R ships and named them Royal Princess, Pacific Princess and Tahitian Princess. The Tahitian Princess was renamed Ocean Princess in 2009. It was sold in 2014. The R class Royal Princess was in the Princess fleet from 2007 until 2011.

2 minutes ago, skynight said:

Yes, Originally there were 4 Sun Class ships Sun, Dawn, Sea and Ocean. The Ocean transferred to P&O a few seasons after it debuted with Princess. It's still sailing.

I sailed the Sun, Dawn and Sea many times. Never sailed Ocean Princess.

2 hours ago, Coral said:

I sailed the Sun, Dawn and Sea many times. Never sailed Ocean Princess.

We sailed the Ocean Princess, a wonderful British Isles cruise. I really loved the small ship experience and getting to know fellow passengers and even crew members.