CCL Selling Some Ships

dreaminofcruisin

I have seen so many topics on various lines forums on here and I had posted on another one but there are 13 officially confirmed to exit but the only one that are current and not previously planned are Costa Victoria, Oceana, Costa neoRomantica, Maasdam, Veendam, Rotterdam, Amsterdam, and now Carnival Fantasy and Carnival Inspiration. Although Carnival Fascination and Imagination are going to lay-up they will probably eventually be sold as well. That's 9 officially but more like 11 if you include those two. So there are at least two more sales forthcoming. The P&O AU ships were previously planned but now that CMV is shutdown they will probably have to find new buyers. Costa Atlantica and Mediterranea were planned to transfer to Carnival's new China joint venture even though they have still kept their names thus far. Costa neoRiviera was an internal transfer and became AIDAmira last fall. I would lean more towards them selling those two Fantasy class ships and maybe Sun Princess (1995) and Sea Princess (1998) and possibly AIDAcara (1996). With exception of the few Fantasy's and Grand Princess (1998), Pacific Princess (1999) and Volendam (1999) that would more or less put the fleets to 2000 and newer. But I have seen in reports that they could eventually sell 15 to 19 and I'm sure the longer this drags out they will keep ditching these older vessels.

Surprised how big AIDA has gotten from rather humble beginnings.  Germans love to cruise, more so than the Spaniard's which is surprising IMO.  The CMV shut down through a wrench into their plans for sure, but a few "shipping tycoons"  are still looking for tonnage.  Fred Olsen should see if they could get a few more HAL /P&O Aus ships and retired some of their old boats.

Keep waiting for RCCL to dump the Majesty and the Empress for starters.  They have a lot of newer ships

2 hours ago, bubbapuck said:

Thanks Ombud. I am honestly not 100% sure. I am fairly new to cruising and wasnt concerned about the ship sailing until I saw the Sun may go. I did alot of research to find the cabin that best suits my picky wife's requests and if Sun goes away, I want to make sure I look over the new ship and find a comparable cabin.

I have few favorites but the Star is definitely high on my list. I love Skywalkers.  

2 hours ago, Captain Rhone said:

I have seen in reports that they could eventually sell 15 to 19 and I'm sure the longer this drags out they will keep ditching these older vessels.

Sorry I've missed your earlier posts. Only 4 of the Fantasy class are supposedly remaining:: https://cruiseradio.net/carnival-fantasy-ends-final-voyage/amp/ "As 

part of Carnival Cruise Line’s official announcement last week, they revealed that four Fantasy-class ships — Carnival Fantasy, Carnival Imagination, Carnival Inspiration, and Carnival Fascination — would be leaving the fleet.

Although Fantasy and Inspiration were the only two officially announced sold, Carnival Cruise Line’s President Christine Duffy said that ultimately, only four Fantasy-class ships would remain in operation. Those vessels are Paradise, Elation, Ecstasy, and Sensation."

1 hour ago, sunviking82 said:

Surprised how big AIDA has gotten from rather humble beginnings. 

👍

3 hours ago, Captain Rhone said:

I would lean more towards them selling those two Fantasy class ships and maybe Sun Princess (1995) and Sea Princess (1998) and possibly AIDAcara (1996).

The Sun Princess and Sea Princess are both very popular down under and would be sadly missed. Many appreciate the smaller ships with the wide all round Promenade deck.

• Like 1

On 6/18/2020 at 7:23 PM, dreaminofcruisin said:

In case you hadn't seen this.

I think it's across the Carnival Corp lines, so don't know if any Princess ships will be included.

Any guesses?

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5400/

If you google these ships, there is a great one where there is three of the ships beached in Turkey to get melted for scrap, it looked like they had them at full speed with a lot of soot out of the stack and they just beach these ships as the people climb on board.  That beach had three carnival/princess ships beached!

8 minutes ago, spookyfudge said:

If you google these ships, there is a great one where there is three of the ships beached in Turkey to get melted for scrap, it looked like they had them at full speed with a lot of soot out of the stack and they just beach these ships as the people climb on board.  That beach had three carnival/princess ships beached!

Which Princess ships?? Link?? This thread's been tracking ships off the books here but haven't posted any Princess ones yet

Edited by Ombud

Pictures I've seen show Monarch and Sovereign plus Carnival Fantasy and Inspiration, can't find mention of a Princess ship anywhere.  

Cruise mapper has no mention of Princess either, they do list the 4 above:

https://www.cruisemapper.com/cruise-lines/Scrapped-Cruise-Ships-121

Edited by susancruzs
  • Like 1

I liked the Sea, first ship I was on for a longer cruise (3 weeks).  Haven't been on the Pacific but was on a sister ship, it was fine for a port intensive Med cruise, ship amenities didn't matter.  Don't care about the Grand, I did like the Golden though.

Hi hope the Sun, Sea and Grand all remain.  With the Golden and Star moving to P&O Aus.  A few of the smaller ships (along with the Coral and Island) would be nice to have in the fleet.  All three since their last refits have a lot of years left.  

I do hope Princess goes back to standardizing their ships, make sure they all have Int'l Cafe, Alfado's,  Crown Grill and Sabitinis (sp?).  Mixing in the new resturants on the larger ships too but make sure these basics are included.  Also, but back free steam rooms in the gyms on the Royal Class.  They are cheap to operate and men and woman prefer they own verses sharing.  Maybe they can use some of the down time (yes it costs a little money) to fix the errors on the Royal class (also lack of a Piano Bar on the Sky).

11 minutes ago, sunviking82 said:

Hi hope the Sun, Sea and Grand all remain.  With the Golden and Star moving to P&O Aus.  A few of the smaller ships (along with the Coral and Island) would be nice to have in the fleet.  All three since their last refits have a lot of years left.  

I do hope Princess goes back to standardizing their ships, make sure they all have Int'l Cafe, Alfado's,  Crown Grill and Sabitinis (sp?).  Mixing in the new resturants on the larger ships too but make sure these basics are included.  Also, but back free steam rooms in the gyms on the Royal Class.  They are cheap to operate and men and woman prefer they own verses sharing.  Maybe they can use some of the down time (yes it costs a little money) to fix the errors on the Royal class (also lack of a Piano Bar on the Sky).

add Vines and Crooners ( sorry Take-5 didn't do "it" for us )

• Like 1

On 8/3/2020 at 7:22 PM, foodsvcmgr said:

Drowelf - the bridge video from the beaching of Carnival Fantasy indicated 12 knots.

Thats moving pretty good. I wonder how much of a jolt they feel coming to a stop on the beach. I suppose they have to be going fast enough to get a certain percentage of ship onto the beach. I presume they do this at high tide too? 

My only problem with the Diamond is that it doesn't have International Cafe. My favorite part on the Grand is the Alfredos location off the plaza

FWIW (ADDED): if I'm going back down the coast on a Royal class, I don't care if I get off in Cabo

Edited by Ombud

I'm confused because they do not seem to be leaving Asia, Chinese market is huge and growing, ship is fitted for Asian clientele, Corporation needs $$s, & has a difficult rap (1st outbreak)

Edited by Ombud

13 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm confused because they do not seem to be leaving Asia, Chinese market is huge and growing, ship is fitted for Asian clientele, Corporation needs $$s, & has a difficult rap (1st outbreak)

When they did this before the bookings were through a china travel agency and not posted on the Princess board like the Princess article mentions.