Cruise industry announces US sailing suspension extended until Sept. 15

shof515

"I'd go camping, but the national forests are closed as well, because, you know, all those wide open spaces are teeming with the virus."

Maybe in N.Y, but all western U.S. National Parks are open. We went to Arches last weekend and Rocky Mt National Park next week. 

2 minutes ago, coevan said:

"I'd go camping, but the national forests are closed as well, because, you know, all those wide open spaces are teeming with the virus."

Maybe in N.Y, but all western U.S. National Parks are open. We went to Arches last weekend and Rocky Mt National Park next week. 

Can you still camp out on the Continental Divide? I did as a kid back in 4th grade while at summer camp in Florissant. 

8 hours ago, EscapeFromConnecticut said:

They've had since March to address the CDC's concerns ... and so far, they've failed.

At this stage, I don't think there's anything that can be done.  I don't think anyone is failing.  It's just the nature of a contagious virus to be contagious.  One thing that would help is people following social distancing suggestions and wearing masks, pretty minimal inconveniences, and we can see and hear how well that goes over.  I couldn't imagine trying to get a few thousand cruisers to follow major guidelines for several days if the minor ones are beyond the pale in a grocery store for 20 minutes.

• Like 2

Just now, soccersharon said:

I have not read through all the responses here, but with cases rising in many embark states (Florida, Texas, California), it's very understandable why CLIA is voluntarily extending the pause.

numbers is going down in NY tri-state area. they could of resume cruising out of NYC instead of canceling all of the NYC cruises back in April

3 minutes ago, shof515 said:

numbers is going down in NY tri-state area. they could of resume cruising out of NYC instead of canceling all of the NYC cruises back in April

Then all those people in Florida, Texas and California can travel to NYC.  Probably not going to happen.

• Like 2

I'm so happy for the New York area! I don't think you'd want an influx of people from other states descending on New York right now. Half of the US states are experiencing an increase in cases since opening back up, sadly.
  • Like 1

Assuming the 9:30 announcement is timely, anyone want to guess how long it will take for call centers to get passed whatever new advice is given? Is this something that call centers would be notified about prior to the announcement? I’m very familiar with how airlines work, but have very little experience with cruise lines. 

I really don’t feel like sitting on hold for hours and hours later today, but I will want to rebook promptly assuming my September cruise is disappearing. Was thinking about calling in right at 9:30 (or as soon as the announcement starts) to claim my spot in line. Or is that bad form?

I feel bad for call center reps already. I’m sure hold times later today will be insane. 

New to the CruiseCritic community and it has been a wealth of information so far...thank you all!

-Chris

1 hour ago, geckoflyer said:

Assuming the 9:30 announcement is timely, anyone want to guess how long it will take for call centers to get passed whatever new advice is given? Is this something that call centers would be notified about prior to the announcement? I’m very familiar with how airlines work, but have very little experience with cruise lines. 

I really don’t feel like sitting on hold for hours and hours later today, but I will want to rebook promptly assuming my September cruise is disappearing. Was thinking about calling in right at 9:30 (or as soon as the announcement starts) to claim my spot in line. Or is that bad form?

I feel bad for call center reps already. I’m sure hold times later today will be insane. 

New to the CruiseCritic community and it has been a wealth of information so far...thank you all!

-Chris

So were an hour out from the big announcement and I can purchase a massage and shore excursion for my Freedom Sept 6 sailing.  Sigh...

On 6/20/2020 at 4:26 PM, bitemyfly said:

Florida is indeed seeing a increase since opening up last month . I repeat over 35 days ago . 

the data may also be very good for cruise industry.

the positive cases are going up , hospital are raising slightly and deaths continue to  be very low.

older people aren’t getting it it’s the young !
and they get better. Older people are staying in . 

its deadly to older folk not so much to young .

i look to the data deliver new and effective strategies to protect the ones that need it and life goes on for others till vaccine or effective treatment.

cruising will come back to much money in it  .

in the meantime don’t put sick in nursing homes  ! Deaths will remain low hopefully 

Possibly true of the confirmed cases....However, the fatality figures are the important issue.  Our county of approximate 245,000..has 7 deaths ( all over 70 all listed as Covid with ( drumroll) underlying health issues), at least 90% of all confirmed cases are marked as " recovered". When the pandemic began, We were barraged with media reports of hospitals unable to accept anyone, makeshift clinics on the street, national guard coming to town to restore order. Beginning to think this " pandemic" is a bit overplayed.

Edited by topaz123
  • Like 2

So were an hour out from the big announcement and I can purchase a massage and shore excursion for my Freedom Sept 6 sailing.  Sigh...

I’ve been checking that as well and I’m still able to purchase spa treatments, shore excursions and specialty restaurants. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

1 minute ago, geckoflyer said:

I’ve been checking that as well and I’m still able to purchase spa treatments, shore excursions and specialty restaurants. 🤦🏻‍♂️

Carnival still sending Emails for Super Savings on Cruises? Huh?

Carnival still sending Emails for Super Savings on Cruises? Huh?

I would like to think it isn’t a cash flow push, but rather a super intricate marketing automation system that just hasn’t been disabled.

Based on my experience so far with the website, online purchases seem to be completely separate from actual reservations. I’m guessing if/when sailings get canceled...that will be the time when these emails will stop. At least one can hope 🤷🏻‍♂️

I just received the cancellation email for our end of September departure for Charleston, SC. Now I have no clue whether to just get a refund (seems like that may take a while) ... or rebook with the $300 stateroom credit (4 day cruise).

What would you do?

12 minutes ago, geckoflyer said:

I just received the cancellation email for our end of September departure for Charleston, SC. Now I have no clue whether to just get a refund (seems like that may take a while) ... or rebook with the $300 stateroom credit (4 day cruise).

What would you do?

I'd go with the Refund pronto.....Carnival seems to have a pattern of cancelling cruises every 2-3 months, if you re-book who's to know when the next " Carnival announces delay"  story appears...the same as giving Carnival the use of your money not knowing when it gets repaid. I think with the last delay, it appears the possibility of  bankruptcy...becomes more clear....lots of questions over who would be refunded in Chapter 11 Court?

Edited by topaz123
  • Like 1

On 6/19/2020 at 7:33 PM, Decali said:

My CCL shareholder onboard credit request that I sent in weeks ago hasn't been responded to with a yes/no/go away and I think that might be a tell too. 

That is probably due to the fact that the Shareholder Credit has to be approved at the Shareholder's meeting each July.  In the past they just assumed it would be renewed and issued the OBC.  Given the finacial state of Carnival Corp and the Share Prices it is no longer a "gimme."

I'd go with the Refund pronto.....Carnival seems to have a pattern of cancelling cruises every 2-3 months, if you re-book who's to know when the next " Carnival announces delay"  story appears...the same as giving Carnival the use of your money not knowing when it gets repaid. I think with the last delay, it appears the possibility of  bankruptcy...becomes more clear....lots of questions over who would be refunded in Chapter 11 Court?

I’m lucky that the out of pocket expense for this cruise aren’t going to make or break my family financially...but we certainly don’t have tons of money and want to fund a company like Carnival.

That said, I spoke to Carnival (called around 9:20am ET and got through around 9:45am). We are rebooked on a November sailing, same itinerary, same rate, 1 room level up (so now a grand vs ocean suite), with the $300 stateroom credit and a token VIFP stateroom credit that would apply for new bookings regardless.

I’m willing to gamble on CCL making it through, and hopefully come November we can sail...but also realize it’s not confirmed and things could change any time.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, geckoflyer said:

What would you do?

I am giving up and replied with my cancellation form

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

I just went with a refund. This crud has gotten old. They will probably fold

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Joe817 said:

Can you still camp out on the Continental Divide? I did as a kid back in 4th grade while at summer camp in Florissant. 

My son camped in Leadville last weekend, so yes. All our state parks are open

My cruise is October 2nd and I feel that I am in a worse position than those that just had their cruise cancelled. I purposely choose October because I didn't want to be on one of the first cruises after the restart.  I wish they would have given me the option of cancelling.  Final payment is due in a couple of weeks.  Ugh.. 

• Like 3