Denali Buses and Nearby Vehicle Tours on the Denali Hwy

Vagabond Knight

My husband and I are tall.  He's 6'4" and I'm 5'11" with a 35 inch inseam.  Just how uncomfortable are we going to be on those Denali buses?  I've read a lot of reviews that refer to them as "cramped school buses," and the photos I've seen pretty much bear out the school bus styling.  Are there any tall people here on this forum who've taken the 8 hour Tundra Wilderness Tour who can speak to the legroom or lack thereof?

Seems to me that with the number of people who pass through Denali each year (2020 being the odd exception, of course), there would be a healthy market for a second upgraded mass transportation option with more room for taller folks to stretch out.  We'd be willing to pay more for that.

I've also noticed that there are tours using other types of vehicles that go along the Denali Highway, which I guess is outside the park.  However, the borders of "the park" are a man-made designation and so I'm wondering if it makes all that much difference in seeing beautiful scenery and wildlife as to whether we're on a road in the park or on the Denali Highway in a vehicle that might be more comfortable for us.  Has anyone on here taken any of these "outside of the park" tours?

I'll assume you've seen a map-   yes there is a huge difference between the Park Road and the Denali Highway.    I have been to both numerous times and wildlife-  in my experience is far more successfully seen in the national park.     

You may be willing to pay more for a "tour bus",   but, isn't available now.    Yes, they are regular,  typical school buses.   Some have been "upgraded"  to basic separate seats-   but, you can't request this, and will be a coin toss if your scheduled bus is upgraded.       

Why are you mentioning "Tundra Wilderness Tour"?    Are you already booked?   And if so-  are you with some kind of tour?    The TWT,  in the past filled capacity higher due to passenger numbers being fixed riders.    The transit buses, had more open seats.      The TWT is probably your worse choice, due to having to stay on that bus-  and paying triple cost.    Yes-  you can exit the bus-  and get space available on a transit bus-  but in the past,  it was only returning buses you could get on.     

do you know about the Denali permits that are newly available this year for self driving into Denali?     I've got plans this year.    But,  unknown if will be offered any other time.,  other than the standard lottery in September.  

30 minutes ago, SunsetPoint said:

Because it's one of the three primary narrated tours in the park.  https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

In my opinion-   Denali is visual and distance. - what's outside the bus.   🙂     You can get all the Denali history details-  off the bus.     As,  I've mentioned-  with your restrictions-  the tour buses-  are fixed-   you are assigned a bus-  with some tours- also a seat.    It could be a better option in your case-  to book the transit bus.   Allows  you to get on/off-  and continue on any bus.   Plus-  the distance is significant and superior to the TWT.    

Several options available for you,  unless you are on a "tour"?    

48 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

do you know about the Denali permits that are newly available this year for self driving into Denali? 

I was not aware of that.  

There are advantages to the school buses.  One is that you have many eyes looking for wildlife and the driver encourages people to shout out what they see and the direction to look.  The driver stops, we all look, and if the driver sees the animal, there is a TV camera that has zoom possibilities and he/she tries to focus on the animal so that we can see on the screen.  

I was traveling with my Nephew who is over 6 feet tall.  He has done this tour before (as well as in the hop on/off type of transport).  The seating is not the most comfortable in the world, but, one is traveling through some wilderness like terrain.  The seating rather reflects the area where one is, I think.

Absolutely necessary-  for my priorities is a good pair of binoculars-   I do a lot of marine wildlife searching-  so wide angle is a must-   but power is as well.   I mostly use-   12x50 and also have a 10x50 pair.   

ALL the Denali buses stop at wildlife sightings.  You can also get some very seasoned drivers and passengers on the transit buses-  that you don't get as frequently on the tour buses.     On the tour buses there is a separate guide and driver (previous).    Verify current details.      But overall-  for independent passengers-  transit buses are superior choices.    

We went on the Tundra Wilderness Tour in 2007. My husband was 6'3" and was fine. We switched the window/aisle seats and is was great. Did not do enough pre-planning and did not know about the park ranger buses. The seats are certainly not like the squished airplane seats!!

Edited by Great Sky Girl

The Tundra Wilderness Tour bus queues start about 15 minutes before departure.  It is important to not be one of the final passengers to board or you will be stuck with a seat over the wheel wells which means your knees in your chest for many hours.  There are only a few stops so sitting in the back of the bus is not a big deal and there will be fewer passengers trying to take pictures over your shoulders.

As soon as the bus turns off the highway to enter the park, keep your eyes open for moose that like to stroll through the parking lot.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My tour in 2019, the driver was the guide as well.

I’ve never known the driver to double as the Naturalist Interpreter on the tour buses?   

What tour were you on??   

3 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

I’ve never known the driver to double as the Naturalist Interpreter on the tour buses?   

What tour were you on??   

The 8 hour tour.  Maybe my memory is incorrect, but I don't recall two separate employees at the front of the bus.

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

The 8 hour tour.  Maybe my memory is incorrect, but I don't recall two separate employees at the front of the bus.

Dud you book yourself or was it booked part of a package?   

25 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

My tour in 2019, the driver was the guide as well.

7 minutes ago, Budget Queen said:

What tour were you on??   

We have done lots of TWT tours and the driver is the naturalist, narrator, handles the camera for close-ups, and is able to communicate with other drivers when necessary.  They are very well qualified..

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, oaktreerb said:

We have done lots of TWT tours and the driver is the naturalist, narrator, handles the camera for close-ups, and is able to communicate with other drivers when necessary.  They are very well qualified..

Thanks for confirming what I remember.  Our gentlemen was very well qualified and humorous as well.  

I had forgotten about the communication with other drivers in the area.  There was much of that going on and he would give us a "heads up" when we approached an area where another driver/guests had spotted wildlife.  

12 hours ago, AKStafford said:

Don't do the Tundra Wilderness Tour... Use the shuttle bus. Same road, same views, much cheaper: https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm

Yep,   absolutely agree.    Not sure why none of the above have utilized the transit buses?      For independent visitors,  it's never recommended by me.   🙂   

We have done the "school bus" tours twice, once at the end of May and again at the beginning of September. The guide was great and spotted amazing wildlife.  We maintained a list of the animals we spotted and stopped counting on the May tour when we reached 300.  You very much feel a part of nature and learn about the animals on this tour. The seats were not uncomfortable.  This was an amazing experience and I would do it again, perhaps with a new camera!

• Like 1