Tax credits for tourism? Explore America tax credit

WAMarathoner

31 minutes ago, npcl said:

One of the ways that is quite effective during an outbreak is to limit travel.  The more travel away from ones home area the more chance for an infected person to infect others and doing so in different areas where each infection could lead to more local spread. The more that someone that is not infected comes in contact with more different people the higher the chance for them to get infected.  In your home area you tend to come in contact with the same people, go to the same stores, etc.  When traveling almost every contact, every store, every stop is someone new.

Traveling also makes it very difficult for contact tracing to do any good.

As such a tax break to encourage traveling goes in direct opposition to good public health practice, as long as the outbreak is active.  Especially now when it is increasing in many areas.

Yeah, thanks for the unnecessary lecture where you took my comment totally out of context to why I originally made it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rkacruiser said:

Don't get too frustrated about whether a comment is or is not political.  I am among others on this Forum as well as the Amtrak Discussion Forum that are having issues with what comments are acceptable and not deemed as political.   

Let the moderators deal with what is considered too political. It should not be an issue for anyone reading the threads.

6 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

How is that political?  I asked for more information, for thoughts whether it would help with cruise costs, and whether cruisers would trade cruising for domestic travel.

Please do not follow me around and claim things that are not true.  This was a legitimate question and many have different points to bring up, which is what I was asking.

I made one comment. You are the one following somebody around. Your lack of self awareness is amazing. Taxation is an extremely political topic.

Edited by brisalta
  • Like 1

On 6/21/2020 at 3:10 AM, caribill said:

Are you traveling through any of the 10 states that are seeing their highest seven-day average of new coronavirus cases per day.

You mean the states where testing is up and deaths are down?  Because spread of the virus among the healthier population is good!  Death rates going down as cases go up is evidence of that.  The virus becomes less lethal as it spreads=science.  Do your own research instead of living in fear!  Pseudoscience has been used throughout history to control human behavior.  Happy cruising to all! 🥰

• Like 5

11 hours ago, WAMarathoner said:

How is that political?  I asked for more information, for thoughts whether it would help with cruise costs, and whether cruisers would trade cruising for domestic travel.

Please do not follow me around and claim things that are not true.  This was a legitimate question and many have different points to bring up, which is what I was asking.

I agree.  Some people love to politicize everything.  They do so to shut down discussion and to divide people.  Sad!  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cafedumonde said:

I agree.  Some people love to politicize everything.  They do so to shut down discussion and to divide people.  Sad!  

Right, let the moderators do their job. If something gets too political, they have seen fit to make it disappear. But, if everything can be classified as political, then there is no discussion at all.

• Thanks 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Coral said:

I am against it. I think it benefits those who do not need to benefit from a tax credit. That is those who can afford to travel.

I think we need to take care of those who have lost jobs and spend the money on making sure they don't become homeless, they can eat and possibly retrain them for other jobs. 

If I can make an analogy, similar opinions have been expressed regarding tax credits for contracting companies to build affordable housing.  There is more profit from building luxury housing so a tax credit gives the builders an incentive to build affordable housing and to infuse some of their money back into a local economy.  Jobs are provided and decent quality housing is made available to those who normally couldn't afford it.  Some would look at such a program as being "corporate welfare" as the companies already have enough money, but they miss the point of the tax credit - it lifts up and gives a higher standard of living for those who would never have the opportunity to own their own home or move into a better school district.

Giving tourists a tax credit is one method of infusing money of wealthier Americans and having their money filter to the waitresses, bartenders, hotel housekeepers and other people dependent on the tourism economy to keep a roof over their heads and put food on their table by getting them back to work.  I don't see it as solely benefitting the tourists as the money the tourists spend benefits many others who really need the help.

• Like 5

40 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If I can make an analogy, similar opinions have been expressed regarding tax credits for contracting companies to build affordable housing.  There is more profit from building luxury housing so a tax credit gives the builders an incentive to build affordable housing and to infuse some of their money back into a local economy.  Jobs are provided and decent quality housing is made available to those who normally couldn't afford it.  Some would look at such a program as being "corporate welfare" as the companies already have enough money, but they miss the point of the tax credit - it lifts up and gives a higher standard of living for those who would never have the opportunity to own their own home or move into a better school district.

Giving tourists a tax credit is one method of infusing money of wealthier Americans and having their money filter to the waitresses, bartenders, hotel housekeepers and other people dependent on the tourism economy to keep a roof over their heads and put food on their table by getting them back to work.  I don't see it as solely benefitting the tourists as the money the tourists spend benefits many others who really need the help.

I actually would support a tax credit for building homes. I believe this tax credit helps more people and industries than the one proposed (hospitality). A lot of the jobs that this would help are full time jobs that pay well (construction workers, lumber yards, carpet companies, plumbers, electricians, many more......). Quite a few jobs that cover several industries, pay a living wage and offers benefits.

A lot of the hospitality jobs don't pay a living wage and often don't offer benefits. I know that some do but I know far too many people who work 2-3 of these types of jobs just to get by. A lot of people take hospitality jobs when they can't get other jobs. Though I know there are career hospitality jobs (hotel manager, cruise line employees, some Disney positions, etc...). Most are not career jobs but jobs to get by until they can land a full time job.

Though I think those who can afford to travel and eat out, are going to do it when they feel safe to do so, thus there is no need to provide a tax credit for doing so.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Coral said:

Though I think those who can afford to travel and eat out, are going to do it when they feel safe to do so, thus there is no need to provide a tax credit for doing so.

I agree wholeheartedly with you that those who can afford to travel will do so.  I think the goal of the proposed credit is to get that money spent in Niagara Falls, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC etc. as opposed to that money being spent in Stockholm, Rome, London etc...

In keeping with the questions of the OP, I don't see such a tax credit happening nor if it did pass, I don't think it would be of much help to the cruise industry.  It could help get PAX on US river cruises as they tend to be costly and a tax credit for taking one of those cruises could be a significant incentive. 

Edited by Daniel A
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

I agree wholeheartedly with you that those who can afford to travel will do so.  I think the goal of the proposed credit is to get that money spent in Niagara Falls, San Francisco, Chicago, NYC etc. as opposed to that money being spent in Stockholm, Rome, London etc...

I think initially people are going to stay domestic anyway. I had a trip to Europe scheduled this year (cancelled). I am looking at Colorado this fall, if I can travel.

• Like 3

On 6/20/2020 at 1:34 PM, Coral said:

I am against it. I think it benefits those who do not need to benefit from a tax credit. That is those who can afford to travel.

I think we need to take care of those who have lost jobs and spend the money on making sure they don't become homeless, they can eat and possibly retrain them for other jobs. As opposed to pay people to travel.

I am trying not to be political. Hopefully I was successful with it.

With that being said - I am considering domestic travel in the future. Non-cruising.

I agree......there already has been one of the biggest bailouts (handouts) in history and now people want to tax more.  They need to spend the money on testing, tracing, research and support for hospitals and medical care dealing with COVID-19 and not on some frivolous tax for travel.  Hotels already charge for resort fees and some restaurants are starting to add a COVID surcharge to bills.  The tourist industry will be just fine except possibly cruising.  It is going to be almost impossible for cruise ships to present themselves as COVID-19 safe just by the nature of the business and ships if COVID-19 is not defeated.

The only thing that seems to be traveling really well in the US is COVID-19.  Until that is taken care of nothing will be safe and 25 states still have rising COVID-19 numbers after 4 months of trying to suppress the virus while most countries have declining COVID-19 cases.  I guess that's what you call American exceptionalism!

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Cafedumonde said:

You mean the states where testing is up and deaths are down?  Because spread of the virus among the healthier population is good!  Death rates going down as cases go up is evidence of that.  The virus becomes less lethal as it spreads=science.  Do your own research instead of living in fear!  Pseudoscience has been used throughout history to control human behavior.  Happy cruising to all! 🥰

And you are complaining about post being political.....I am happy to know that COVID-19 is disappearing and hospitals are not stressed with new cases......I do do my research but not on CC!!!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, PrincessLuver said:

And you are complaining about post being political.....I am happy to know that COVID-19 is disappearing and hospitals are not stressed with new cases......I do do my research but not on CC!!!

In 27 states COVID-19 is increasing - and that is NOT do to more testing.  It is spiking in Florida passing all previous daily infection numbers.  Maybe if everyone puts their collective heads in the sand and there is no testing it will all go away...  Just pile the dead in the streets for garbage collection...

5 hours ago, Ride-The-Waves said:

In 27 states COVID-19 is increasing - and that is NOT do to more testing.  It is spiking in Florida passing all previous daily infection numbers.  Maybe if everyone puts their collective heads in the sand and there is no testing it will all go away...  Just pile the dead in the streets for garbage collection...

I agree.....I hope you did not take my post as a COVID-19 denier......I am amazed at how they try and put a spin on 120,000 Americans having died since March "as just being a little ole case of the flu!"   I am sure they would gladly follow all the guidelines that the cruise lines put in place if and when they start cruising to stop the spread of COVID-19 on a ship because they take it sooooooooooooooooooooooooo seriously.:classic_wink:.

Edited by PrincessLuver
  • Like 1

On 6/20/2020 at 4:34 PM, Coral said:

I think we need to take care of those who have lost jobs and spend the money on making sure they don't become homeless, they can eat and possibly retrain them for other jobs. As opposed to pay people to travel.

I am trying not to be political. Hopefully I was successful with it.

With that being said - I am considering domestic travel in the future. Non-cruising.

Let's see, we can collect that tax money and give it away to people who lost their job.

Or we can encourage those who can afford to travel to travel and support the businesses so those same workers can have their job back.

Hmmmmmmmm

• Like 3

On 6/21/2020 at 1:42 AM, Cafedumonde said:

I have some bad news for all you overly cautious people on here.  We are on a vacation and are in the process of driving through 8 states, on state 6 right now, and everything everywhere is packed.  Everyone is traveling.  90% of people are not wearing masks.  And life is good!!  I love it!! The cruise industry is just getting the shaft from the cdc.  There is no reason they shouldn’t be up and running.  It’s ridiculous.  I am on the tax credit team btw.  Great idea to support the tourist industry.  The way to help people who have lost jobs is to get the economy going so that they can find a job.

And that is one reason cases are going up.

People think relaxing the requirements means that there are no longer any requirements.

20 minutes ago, SRF said:

Let's see, we can collect that tax money and give it away to people who lost their job.

Or we can encourage those who can afford to travel to travel and support the businesses so those same workers can have their job back.

Hmmmmmmmm

People in more industries than travel and tourism lost their jobs. This is not going to assist them.

I have to admit I haven't read all of the comments.   I like the concept of a tax incentive for travel at home.  But of course, vacations/travel should only be done when our health officials feel it is appropriate.    If we can be a little patient and follow the rules then application of a tax incentive for vacationing here at home will be a big boost.   

• Like 1

On 6/22/2020 at 9:59 AM, Coral said:

I think this tax credit could encourage someone to take a trip and therefore infuse money into the hospitality industry they wouldn’t have otherwise. I am considering a trip in the fall. Now, I haven’t started pricing it out yet. But I’ve been reading on travel forums that hotel rates are sky high right now because they have to charge more to make up for having reduced capacity. This trip isn’t a bucket list trip for me, just something to do since I no longer think the international trip I had planned for the winter will be happening. If the price is outrageous because hotels are charging double their normal rates, I am less likely to go. This is a case where the tax credit would make me more likely to go than if it’s not there. But I agree that a tax credit for travel will never be passed.

Edited by sanger727
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It looks like the EU is already lending a helping hand to US tourism  :  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

Though many countries in EU are paying their employees up to 70-80% of their salary if they have lost their job as part of taking care of "their people"

48 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

It looks like the EU is already lending a helping hand to US tourism  :  

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europe/eu-coronavirus-travel-ban-us-intl/index.html

There’s one way of looking at it.

It appears as though Canada will be on the list of ‘acceptable’ countries although that may be a moot point; government still has a travel advice out against non-essential travel outside the country and I don’t think that will be changing any time soon.

You can do a staycation.  The United States has a lot of beauty.  Maybe we should see what the US has to offer;  since the EU does not want Americans to travel to their countries or zones;  we can experience the beauty of our country and all it has to offer

• Like 2