Proposed rail ,Canberra to Eden

A interesting thing I was listening to on the ABC.

Today Sunday at Queanbeyan railway station ,a proposal for a passenger and freight rail line to Eden with be announced and discussed.

What a great idea,I don’t know if there’s room for a container terminal.They could move some of Sydney’s container terminal and put in our cruise terminal.

Edited by Chiliburn

31 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

I cannot see this idea getting the $3B financial support required. They cannot even get a fast rail service from Sydney to Canberra. Let alone the Sydney - Melbourne fast rail pipe dream.

If the federal government wants to do it they would find the money.

It would be a lovely shore excursion through the Monaro along the snowy river to Canberra.

Edited by Chiliburn

1 minute ago, Chiliburn said:

If the federal government wants to do it they would find the money.

It would be a lovely shore excursion through the Monaro to Canberra.

We are in a recession and will be for some time. Why would we want to go further into debt that would see our grand-children laden with the debt?

5 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

We are in a recession and will be for some time. Why would we want to go further into debt that would see our grand-children laden with the debt?

I think our grandchildrens grandchildren will still be laden with the debt.

11 minutes ago, By The Bay said:

Well it wouldn’t be built tomorrow,probably in 8 or 10 years or more after planning and land acquisition .

I think Eden should concentrate on its tourism potential.  I saw a mother and baby whale close up at Eden.  I would drive from Gold Coast to see that magic moment again.

Edited by MMDown Under

We travel to Canberra from Perth once or twice a year as our daughter is at University there. It’s always a shame that people travel to Australia and miss Canberra. There is so much to see and the war memorial is worth the trip. A train to get tourists there from a ship would  give the foreign visitors a great experience.

Working in the Engineering design business I can see how long it would take to even start 

1 hour ago, benjoon said:

We travel to Canberra from Perth once or twice a year as our daughter is at University there. It’s always a shame that people travel to Australia and miss Canberra. There is so much to see and the war memorial is worth the trip. A train to get tourists there from a ship would  give the foreign visitors a great experience.

Working in the Engineering design business I can see how long it would take to even start 

A fast train, or even better a very fast train from Sydney would do that job too.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

A fast train, or even better a very fast train from Sydney would do that job too.

My daughter works for NSW transport and they think there not enough population for a fast train to Canberra.

1 hour ago, MicCanberra said:

It does amaze me that for a country as vast as ours we have no fast train service. I saw a interview a few years back with a infrastructure engineer and he said the cost for building them now has really dropped that it is no longer a valid excuse. Morocco is building a fast train network, that is how far behind Australia is 😳

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Chiliburn said:

My daughter works for NSW transport and they think there not enough population for a fast train to Canberra.

But there is for air travel, 25-30 flights a day? The very fast train would take half or more of those passengers, it would be cheaper than a flight, be better for the environment as well. in addition he VFT would eventually also go through to Melbourne and to Brisbane.

• Like 1

In Canada we have spent years allowing our rail infrastructure fall to ruin. Miles of track abandoned more in such disrepair they are unusable. All the while our highways are being choked by more and more transport trucks.

We have the Rocky Mountaineer tourist train but that is ridiculously expensive. And the "Canadian" between Vancouver and Toronto is also too expensive. 

High Speed rail is not a thing in Canada either.

4 minutes ago, Blackduck59 said:

In Canada we have spent years allowing our rail infrastructure fall to ruin. Miles of track abandoned more in such disrepair they are unusable. All the while our highways are being choked by more and more transport trucks.

We have the Rocky Mountaineer tourist train but that is ridiculously expensive. And the "Canadian" between Vancouver and Toronto is also too expensive. 

High Speed rail is not a thing in Canada either.

And Via rail. Also, many folks here in Oz do not realise that the passenger trains have to give way to freight, which sees them sidetracked for long periods.

18 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

And Via rail. Also, many folks here in Oz do not realise that the passenger trains have to give way to freight, which sees them sidetracked for long periods.

This happens a lot in the Hunter Valley where the giant coal trains bring in a lot of money for NSW railways.

2 minutes ago, dillpickle48 said:

Isn't there a by-election taking place soon.  Sorry I am too cynical.

On the 4th of July down here in Eden-Monaro.

I often use the main road between Eden and Canberra and don't really have any trouble with the trucks on the road down here so it won't sway my vote. I'd rather see some of the money go towards a few more overtaking lanes for the ski season.

There seems to be a lot of people in a rush to get to the snow at times.

23 minutes ago, sewgood said:

This happens a lot in the Hunter Valley where the giant coal trains bring in a lot of money for NSW railways.

I was talking to a mate a couple of days ago. He drives a coal train for Pacific National. I was chatting to him on the phone while he was sitting in his sidetracked loco waiting for a passenger train to pass by.

14 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

I was talking to a mate a couple of days ago. He drives a coal train for Pacific National. I was chatting to him on the phone while he was sitting in his sidetracked loco waiting for a passenger train to pass by.

Maybe I will get lucky next time I travel by train to the Upper Hunter. 😁

26 minutes ago, lyndarra said:

In the past I traveled many times on the XPT to Brisbane and return. The only time the train pulled into a siding was for the XPT coming from the opposite direction to pass.

2 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

But there is for air travel, 25-30 flights a day? The very fast train would take half or more of those passengers, it would be cheaper than a flight, be better for the environment as well. in addition he VFT would eventually also go through to Melbourne and to Brisbane.

I agree but that’s what the eggheads say ,not enough population.