Further restrictions on entry into New Zealand

15 hours ago, valantine80 said:

I think you will find shingles can be contagious during the blister stage if you come in contact with fluid from them.

To get shingles I've been led to believe that you must have had Chicken Pox first.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I thought it was when you hadn't had Chicken Pox as a child, you get shingles as an adult.

Other way around. Chicken pox first and then it stays in your system. 

15 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

Right, my SIL got shingles but never had Chicken Pox (as a child or adult).

That would be very unusual, Mic. More likely she had a very mild case of chicken pox as a kid but it was never diagnosed as such.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

That would be very unusual, Mic. More likely she had a very mild case of chicken pox as a kid but it was never diagnosed as such.

She is the 5th of 8 children and all the others had it, she didn't.

Must have been asymptomatic.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

She is the 5th of 8 children and all the others had it, she didn't.

Must have been asymptomatic.

Yes, but got enough of it in her system to trigger the shingles later in life.

There is a vaccine for shingles but it's very expensive until you reach 70, then it's free. 

27 minutes ago, OzKiwiJJ said:

Yes, but got enough of it in her system to trigger the shingles later in life.

There is a vaccine for shingles but it's very expensive until you reach 70, then it's free. 

The vaccine would still be expensive, just subsidised fully for the oldies.

Chicken Poxs you don't want them... I was 45 when i got them... a month off work....

the best news was after a week of feeling like death warmed up... the doctor visited, and told me no the worry,     next week will be worse  ( he was right )

and I do not want Shingles...

Cheers Don

8 minutes ago, getting older slowly said:

Chicken Poxs you don't want them... I was 45 when i got them... a month off work....

the best news was after a week of feeling like death warmed up... the doctor visited, and told me no the worry,     next week will be worse  ( he was right )

Cheers Don

No you don't want shingles Don, they hit me when I was 30, all around the waist and lower body, I was out of action for 6 weeks. Nearly killed me.

2 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

My son was 20 when he contracted chicken pox and he was really unwell with it.

2 hours ago, NSWP said:

No you don't want shingles Don, they hit me when I was 30, all around the waist and lower body, I was out of action for 6 weeks. Nearly killed me.

My husband had shingles 15-20 years ago when he was in his early 50s. It was pretty horrible - he had it right up his back. 

Leigh

8 hours ago, Russell21 said:

To get shingles I've been led to believe that you must have had Chicken Pox first.

That is correct but someone can get chicken pox from a person who has shingles if they come into contact with fluid from shingles blisters.

My sister had shingles in one of her eyes. Caused her a lot of pain for a good few months and discomfort for a couple of years. 

If you get onto anti virals early enough can reduce the symptoms somewhat.

In NZ the Zostavax vaccination for shingles is $200 ,and then ......

Shingles vaccine is free from general practices for adults at age 65. Until 31 December 2020, those aged 66 to 80 inclusive will also be eligible for free shingles immunisation.

20 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

I had the vaccination for free but then I am not a youngster anymore

There has to be some advantages to ageing. 

When I was in the US, I was surprised to see ads in chemists for shingles vaccinations.  My friend said everyone gets them when a member of the family is going to have a baby.  At that stage, I hadn't heard of the vaccination.  I've had chicken pox and shingles. 

21 hours ago, getting older slowly said:

Cheers Don

I was 30, caught it from the kids. I distinctly remember going in waves of about an hour from feeling like I was going to die and being terrified that I wasn't. Still carrying the scars 46 years later.

Back in the day as kids we had mumps. measles and chicken pox parties. The local kids got all three one after other. All I can remember was that for one of them we were in darkness because the light hurt the eyes and the itch. We were covered head to toe in a product called Calamine LOtion. No idea if it is still on the market

34 minutes ago, Beanb41 said:

Back in the day as kids we had mumps. measles and chicken pox parties. The local kids got all three one after other. All I can remember was that for one of them we were in darkness because the light hurt the eyes and the itch. We were covered head to toe in a product called Calamine LOtion. No idea if it is still on the market

I bought a bottle of calamine lotion late last year.

7 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

Available at pharmacies and supermarkets .Also used to soothe burns scalds and sunburn.

We (in Texas) were doing ok until the bars opened - the last thing young people want to do in a bar is "social distance" (just the opposite).

Hopefully things will calm down by March 2021 as we have a visit that way planned.  Meantime, we are camped out at home.......

4 hours ago, mitz18 said:

We (in Texas) were doing ok until the bars opened - the last thing young people want to do in a bar is "social distance" (just the opposite).

Hopefully things will calm down by March 2021 as we have a visit that way planned.  Meantime, we are camped out at home.......

It is very sad to see what is happening in your state as it is for our state of Victoria. This virus appears to have some time to run yet.😒 Hopefully it gets better by March.