Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
PoohUnderstands

DISCOVERY PRINCESS - CURRENT STATUS??

Recommended Posts

We won't be going on the Discovery until February 7th, 2022, but just wondering about the status of its build and if they have started back working on her yet?  Thanks for any information you guys might have.

 

Pooh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There have been no updates from Princess or the Shipyard (Fincantieri) that I am aware of.  I know the steel cutting ceremony took place in February of 2019, but I am not aware that the Keel Laying Ceremony has yet taken place.  Not knowing much about ship building I would think that the Keel Laying is sort of the "point of no return" where a cruiseline could not easily cancel/defer a newbuild.  Before then I'd assume some accommodation could be made if needed.  I could be wrong.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been wondering the same things; we've got B2B sailings booked on her December 2020, the first of the Caribbean salings

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

We are booked on the November 17, 2021 Transatlantic Crossing on the Discovery. Wondering at what point they will notify us, if it is cancelled...will they try to reroute another ship for us or do we have to try to book on another TA that is probably fully booked???

Edited by jpnjh
date

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a New Year's cruise booked on the Discovery.  I'm thinking of switching to one of the other Caribbean ship sailings.  I have no idea what this pause has done to the building of this ship, but I'm concerned it won't be ready.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was a statement in the Carnival Quarterly report last week that of the 9 ships on order for Carnival Corp with original delivery for 2020-2021 only 5 would be delivered by end of Fiscal 2021 (November 30th).  From that I am assuming that Discovery Princess most likely will be delayed.  This is the portion of the press release relating to new ship deliveries -  "The company currently expects only five of the nine ships originally scheduled for delivery in fiscal 2020 and fiscal 2021 will be delivered prior to the end of fiscal year 2021."

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-provides-business-update-and-0

 

I have put together a list of the the 9 ships and their original delivery dates and a notation of any known delay:

 

P&O Iona  -  Spring 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Enchanted Princess  -  June 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Costa Firenze  -  October 2020

Carnival Mardi Gras  -  October 2020 (delayed until Spring 2021)

AidaAcosma  -  May 2021

Ryndam  -  May 2021

Seabourn Venture  -  June 2021

Costa Toscana  -  November 2021

Discovery Princess  -  November 2021

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are booked for the 50 day, Ft. Lauderdale to Los Angeles, in January 2022.  I just hope cruising is back to normal by then!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

I have put together a list of the the 9 ships and their original delivery dates and a notation of any known delay:

 

P&O Iona  -  Spring 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Enchanted Princess  -  June 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Costa Firenze  -  October 2020

Carnival Mardi Gras  -  October 2020 (delayed until Spring 2021)

AidaAcosma  -  May 2021

Ryndam  -  May 2021

Seabourn Venture  -  June 2021

Costa Toscana  -  November 2021

Discovery Princess  -  November 2021

 

Thank you. It looks like 3 of the 5 are the Iona, Enchanted and Mardi Gras. Will the Discovery be one of the last two? It doesn't appear that it will due to it's late original delivery date plus the approximately one month pause at the shipyard. But, things happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you, finally some solid information.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, skynight said:

Thank you. It looks like 3 of the 5 are the Iona, Enchanted and Mardi Gras. Will the Discovery be one of the last two? It doesn't appear that it will due to it's late original delivery date plus the approximately one month pause at the shipyard. But, things happen.

 

Carnival said 5 ships will be delivered by end of "fiscal year 2021" and the other 4 delayed - so that means 4 will be delivered AFTER 11/30/2021.  Discovery was due in Early November 2021, so she could be delayed by a month into December, or 6 months, or more, we just don;t know for sure.  What we do know is she will most likely be delayed.

 

With the recent announcement of Majestic coming to the US West Coast for fall 2021-Spring 2022 and the fact that both Sky and Enchanted are returning to the Caribbean for the same time period, if Discovery does slip there are similar ships/itineraries in both regions to move passengers to if needed.  Same for her Med/Transatlantic Sailings.  The only issue would be her 50 day around South America sailing which there is not a direct replacement for.

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Tak8 said:

I have a New Year's cruise booked on the Discovery.  I'm thinking of switching to one of the other Caribbean ship sailings.  I have no idea what this pause has done to the building of this ship, but I'm concerned it won't be ready.

 

8 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

There was a statement in the Carnival Quarterly report last week that of the 9 ships on order for Carnival Corp with original delivery for 2020-2021 only 5 would be delivered by end of Fiscal 2021 (November 30th).  From that I am assuming that Discovery Princess most likely will be delayed. 

 

 

During the recent Princess Webinar for travel agents Princess said Discovery Princess is scheduled to be ready late 2021.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

There was a statement in the Carnival Quarterly report last week that of the 9 ships on order for Carnival Corp with original delivery for 2020-2021 only 5 would be delivered by end of Fiscal 2021 (November 30th).  From that I am assuming that Discovery Princess most likely will be delayed.  This is the portion of the press release relating to new ship deliveries -  "The company currently expects only five of the nine ships originally scheduled for delivery in fiscal 2020 and fiscal 2021 will be delivered prior to the end of fiscal year 2021."

https://www.carnivalcorp.com/news-releases/news-release-details/carnival-corporation-plc-provides-business-update-and-0

 

I have put together a list of the the 9 ships and their original delivery dates and a notation of any known delay:

 

P&O Iona  -  Spring 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Enchanted Princess  -  June 2020 (delayed until resumption of service)

Costa Firenze  -  October 2020

Carnival Mardi Gras  -  October 2020 (delayed until Spring 2021)

AidaAcosma  -  May 2021

Ryndam  -  May 2021

Seabourn Venture  -  June 2021

Costa Toscana  -  November 2021

Discovery Princess  -  November 2021

 

Costa Firenze's delivery and maiden voyage is delayed to (at least) December 2020 according to some news this week. Also it will stay in the Mediterranean first, instead of going to Asia in the inaugural season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, caribill said:

 

 

During the recent Princess Webinar for travel agents Princess said Discovery Princess is scheduled to be ready late 2021.

 

While I attended the webinar, I'd take any information from the VP of SALES with a grain of salt when it comes to ship deliveries.   What he stated was the originally planned delivery/deployment for Discovery. I would not expect him to be at liberty to discuss otherwise in a sales webinar. The fact that the company made a statement in the quarterly earnings report which specifically stated 9 ships on order for 2020/21and only 5 are now to be delivered in FISCAL 2020/21 (fiscal year ends November 30th for Carnival Corp) leads me to believe that the Discovery Princess will be delayed to some degree, as she was due to launch in early November 2021. I'd not be surprised to see her delayed by at least 6 months and end up launching in late Q2 2022 and staying in Europe for spring/summer 2022 instead of going to the US West coast. I think the announcement of Majestic Princess doing 7 night Mexico/California coast from fall 2021 to spring 2022 is in preparation for that to happen.

 

These are just my opinions and musings until a definitive announcement of which ships are to be delayed, and for how long. 

Edited by AtlantaCruiser72

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/14/2020 at 6:55 PM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

 

While I attended the webinar, I'd take any information from the VP of SALES with a grain of salt when it comes to ship deliveries.   What he stated was the originally planned delivery/deployment for Discovery. I would not expect him to be at liberty to discuss otherwise in a sales webinar. The fact that the company made a statement in the quarterly earnings report which specifically stated 9 ships on order for 2020/21and only 5 are now to be delivered in FISCAL 2020/21 (fiscal year ends November 30th for Carnival Corp) leads me to believe that the Discovery Princess will be delayed to some degree, as she was due to launch in early November 2021. I'd not be surprised to see her delayed by at least 6 months and end up launching in late Q2 2022 and staying in Europe for spring/summer 2022 instead of going to the US West coast. I think the announcement of Majestic Princess doing 7 night Mexico/California coast from fall 2021 to spring 2022 is in preparation for that to happen.

 

These are just my opinions and musings until a definitive announcement of which ships are to be delayed, and for how long. 

I think you're 100%correct.  We are booked on the November 7, 2021, cruise and I'd be very surprised if that occurs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Squire5000 said:

I think you're 100%correct.  We are booked on the November 7, 2021, cruise and I'd be very surprised if that occurs

yeah, we've got a little cruise booked December 2021 ... prolly our next unless something else comes up in the Spring

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I keep going back and forth.  I love the New Year itinerary that I have booked, but I'm concerned it won't be ready.  With all the FCCs, there may not be room to move over to a different ship when/if the delay announcement is released.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We are also booked for the Trans-Atlantic.  Still hoping that it will be built on time.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Jan Schwartz is quoted as saying that the Discovery "may be delayed" on her recent Princess Live presentation (still available on YouTube).

In CEO-speak, that usually indicates a heads-up.

Too bad, we were looking forward to our Spain Cruisetour and November TA sailing on the Discovery, partly to make up for our cancelled Enchanted crossing this October. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There was an article on the Seatrade Cruise News website today that the shipyard in Castellammare has launched the bow section of the Discovery Princess and is towing to to the yard in Monfalcone for assembly with the rest of the ship. What is interesting is that the article indicates that the bow section was supposed to be finished in April. I guess it is a pretty good bet that the ship may be delayed several months unless they can make up the time lost by the late arrival of this section.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the update.  Please keep informing us.

 

I have 8 cabins for a birthday/family reunion Dec 13, 2021.  I hope they tell us early so we are able to switch ships, with 8 families involved it is hard to get everyone together.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's the real problem - switching ships.  Ships will more than likely have a capacity control if, I'm hopeful and booked,  sailing next December and who knows how many cabins will still be available when/if the delay is announced.  Also, the price at the time when the delay is announced may make it more difficult for some to sail.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tak8 said:

That's the real problem - switching ships.  Ships will more than likely have a capacity control if, I'm hopeful and booked,  sailing next December and who knows how many cabins will still be available when/if the delay is announced.  Also, the price at the time when the delay is announced may make it more difficult for some to sail.  

 

If Princess is switching the ships for the exact same cruise, the switch will be made at no cost to the passenger even if current pricing for the new ship is higher

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carbill:  The switch of ships makes sense.  I was thinking more of same destination but different itinearary.  The Sky has a Caribbean New Years cruise and I believe the Enchanted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Tak8 said:

Carbill:  The switch of ships makes sense.  I was thinking more of same destination but different itinearary.  The Sky has a Caribbean New Years cruise and I believe the Enchanted.

 

In effect a new booking which will then be at the current price offered.

 

And holiday cruises are usually higher priced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Forum Assistance
      • SPECIAL EVENT: Q&A with the Quark Expeditions Team!
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...