DISCOVERY PRINCESS - CURRENT STATUS??

PoohUnderstands

6 hours ago, ipeeinthepool said:

Nope.  They already have a plan.  Carnival Corp will only be taking delivery of one new ship in 2022 and it won't be the Discovery Princess.

Wasn't the statement that they would only be taking delivery of one ship in Fiscal Year "2021"?  The other deliveries were pushed to 2022...

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, LACruiser88 said:

Wasn't the statement that they would only be taking delivery of one ship in Fiscal Year "2021"?  The other deliveries were pushed to 2022...

That’s been my understanding & I trust the 1/13/21 CC article which states that Discovery will sail in 2022.

“In an email to Cruise Critic, a Princess Cruises spokesperson confirmed Discovery Princess would now debut in Spring 2022."Discovery Princess voyages sailing in Europe in 2021 and in South America in 2022 have been cancelled," the line said in a statement. "Guests booked on departures roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale sailing to the Caribbean will be moved to Regal Princess on the same departure dates, with the same itinerary."Discovery Princess will debut in the spring of 2022 in Los Angeles, sailing west coast itineraries to the Mexican Riviera, Alaska and Pacific Coast”.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5816/

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jointss said:

We had 3 cabins on the discovery from ft lauderdale dec 29. Now the regal. But my husband and I were continuing for 50 more days around South America. What do we do now? Next notice will be cancelled. Not worth the airlines for 8 days versus 61. Will they offer an alternative?

Currently the only South America cruises scheduled are on the Diamond during Winter 21/22 with no FL to LA itinerary so there’s no alternative cruise currently available.

In early December 2021 the ship sails from LA to Buenos Aires & then sails a few times between there & Chile. In early March the Diamond sails 31 days between BA & LA before it’s scheduled to depart on 4/5/22 for Asia.

Princess states Discovery’s Caribbean cruises will be replaced by the Regal & that currently Discovery is scheduled to cruise from LA along the West Coast in Spring 2022 which is when I am booked on Discovery. 🤞

Edited by Astro Flyer

5 hours ago, Astro Flyer said:

“In an email to Cruise Critic, a Princess Cruises spokesperson confirmed Discovery Princess would now debut in Spring 2022.

So much for the prior claim here that princess was doing everything possible to complete discovery quickly...

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, Roberto256 said:

So much for the prior claim here that princess was doing everything possible to complete discovery quickly...

I believe that Princess had hoped to get the ship completed on time...but Carnival Corporation thought otherwise. 

12 hours ago, Dar & Bob said:

We were booked on the Discovery NYE cruise.  I feel like the fare was much more expensive due to it being a new ship.  Now that they have put in the much older Regal, I am wondering if the fare will be adjusted.  We've been on the Regal before and it's a nice ship but it certainly isn't the brand new Discovery.  Thoughts?

I am wondering the same thing. If the prices don't subsequently drop, we'll probably cancel and wait or rebook on a similar, less expensive sailing. We specifically booked as we wanted to be on the new ship. We did the B2B on the Sky Princess when it came to FLL and loved the experience and was hoping for a similar experience. Not going to happen on the B2B Regal

On 1/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’m sure Carnival Corp, Princess and Fincantieri are doing everything they can to deliver Discovery on time. That said, we are still in a time of immense uncertainty. The ship yard could be closed again by the Italian government, suppliers could deliver essential items late due to reductions in workforce. There are a TON of variables at play and I think it is too early to be demanding answers of Princess that they are simply unable to give at this time. I think end of Q2 or early Q3 is the appropriate time to expect a more conclusive status on delivery. 

4 hours ago, Roberto256 said:

You seem to have an axe to grind either with me or Princess (Carnival Corp).

Either way I wanted to circle back to my earlier post and highlight something else I said that you are choosing to overlook, which is that Princess and Carnival Corp may have wanted the ship to deliver on time, but other factors could cause that to slip and it was too early to determine.  That statement was made before the Q4 financial statement came out and they announced the delay of several (as of then) unnamed vessels.

The shipyard was closed for several months due to Italian government restrictions. It could be that the cost of keeping the ship on schedule were not practical for either Carnival or the shipyard (depending on terms of contract).  It could also be that the shipyard is pushing the delays and Carnivals hand is being forced.  That kind of information may not be made public as the company and shipbuilder work through compensation/penalties related to the original shipbuilding contract. 

No company wants to deliver a product late for multiple reasons.  They will take all practical means to keep things on schedule, and I’m sure Carnival looked at ALL the options available to them before agreeing to the delay. 

On 1/10/2021 at 1:01 AM, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

I’m sure Carnival Corp, Princess and Fincantieri are doing everything they can to deliver Discovery on time.

2 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

You seem to have an axe to grind either with me or Princess (Carnival Corp).

I find it less than helpful when people post what they hope will happen, as if it's fact, or they have some

special, inside knowledge...

...when they don't.

I think from the various statements from Carnival Corp, they were most interested in conserving cash by

delaying deliveries.  Pretty much the opposite of what you posted, sir.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, AtlantaCruiser72 said:

No company wants to deliver a product late for multiple reasons.  They will take all practical means to keep things on schedule, and I’m sure Carnival looked at ALL the options available to them before agreeing to the delay. 

There are multiple reasons to deliver a product late. Preserving cash is one of them.

Edited by Casey12

On 1/14/2021 at 2:07 PM, Astro Flyer said:

“In an email to Cruise Critic, a Princess Cruises spokesperson confirmed Discovery Princess would now debut in Spring 2022."Discovery Princess voyages sailing in Europe in 2021 and in South America in 2022 have been cancelled," the line said in a statement. "Guests booked on departures roundtrip from Ft. Lauderdale sailing to the Caribbean will be moved to Regal Princess on the same departure dates, with the same itinerary."Discovery Princess will debut in the spring of 2022 in Los Angeles, sailing west coast itineraries to the Mexican Riviera, Alaska and Pacific Coast”.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/news/5816/

Just checked the Princess website.   

All REGAL Princess cruises have been removed for November 2021 to end of February 2022.   

I guess they are in the process of redoing everything, again!    

We are trying to decide if we should at least book something for either December 2021 break between kids' university semesters, or their February reading week.     I guess I'll have to wait until Princess releases what Regal will be doing!     ( We'll  "book"  assuming that travel will resume and we will be able to vacation again safely, else we will cancel again .....  )   

On 1/14/2021 at 10:20 AM, Dunk said:

For those wondering about deadheading to Los Angeles, that's exactly what Carnival did with the debut of Carnival Panorama. 

$$$$. When we Visited the panama canal last year we learned that the price for going through the locks for a passenger ship was inclusive of all the passengers allowed on board whether they were there or not. Before any ship goes through for the first time there is an inspector that comes on board and makes note of every possible sleeping quarter in order to figure out how much to charge for passage.

23 hours ago, cruisintoddler said:

All REGAL Princess cruises have been removed for November 2021 to end of February 2022.   

We are trying to decide if we should at least book something for either December 2021 break between kids' university semesters, or their February reading week.     I guess I'll have to wait until Princess releases what Regal will be doing!     ( We'll  "book"  assuming that travel will resume and we will be able to vacation again safely, else we will cancel again .....  )   

I just checked, they are still there!!  Thank goodness, we have the transatlantic booked.  🙂 

2 minutes ago, monsterl said:

My compensation as a UK booker is not a $ 15 OBC per person, but an upgrade from BW (balcony / obstructed view) to BE (balcony) on the 4night-cruise 12/09 - 12/13 from Ft. Lauderdale to Grand Turk. 🙂

there is now a 5 day on the Regal - beginning 12/4 that also goes to Grand Turk and also Amber Cove.

we cancelled the 4 day you are on, but may look at the 5 day later after our FCC's have been processed from our recently cancelled cruise that was to sail on 4/18/21

On 1/15/2021 at 4:48 PM, cruisintoddler said:

I saw at least 2 Regal Princess cruises for Oct/Nov.
??

18 hours ago, suzyed said:

I saw at least 2 Regal Princess cruises for Oct/Nov.
??

I'm on Regal Princess in early December as a redeployment for the delayed Discovery Princess. So Princess may have had to take Regal off the website for a bit and then show up with the new itineraries. That would explain both Regal crusintoddler see it coming off the website and you see Oct/Nov itineraries a bit later.

Edited by CruiseMrB

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/18/2021 at 11:34 AM, l2luv2cruise said:

Discovery Princess has been floated out at Fincantieri 🙂

Picture from Cruise Industry News.

Discovery princess-float out-Fincantieri.jpg

Not much information since this was posted in March.  Everything seems to be changing quite rapidly now so there should be more up to date info soon.  Hoping it will continue on track and be available for April 3, 2022 cruise for the California Coastal.

Judy from SW Florida

• Like 1