Place an imaginary bet here , When will Celebrity start up?

jonthomas

On 6/23/2020 at 6:57 PM, DrKoob said:

That's pessimistic since Dr. Fauci says there should be a vaccine by fall of this year.

Are they still pushing through the vaccine with no clinical trials?  pretty scary to do that IMO.   I'm not an anti-vac person but but worry the adverse effects will be worse than not getting the vaccine.  

6 hours ago, drakes2 said:

Just so happened I was at a family event last week and two people ages 71 and 73 said they will not take the vaccine when available. I thought to myself, 'good ..... more for the rest of us.'

I am in my 60's and don't plan on getting the vaccine so you can have mine.  From what I have read, there will be no clinical trials for the vaccine and that is not a good thing to make sure we are "safe" with the vaccine.   I don't plan on being the guinea pig because I want to cruise and then have severe adverse effects of a non tested vaccine. 

16 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

Are they still pushing through the vaccine with no clinical trials?  pretty scary to do that IMO.   I'm not an anti-vac person but but worry the adverse effects will be worse than not getting the vaccine.  

10 minutes ago, wallysdtr said:

I am in my 60's and don't plan on getting the vaccine so you can have mine.  From what I have read, there will be no clinical trials for the vaccine and that is not a good thing to make sure we are "safe" with the vaccine.   I don't plan on being the guinea pig because I want to cruise and then have severe adverse effects of a non tested vaccine. 

Clinical trials start next month. Watch the news on any network but FOX or read a newspaper. 😀

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, DrKoob said:

Clinical trials start next month. Watch the news on any network but FOX or read a newspaper. 😀

They've already started.  A Phase I/II clinical trial began in April for the vaccine that Oxford developed and Astrazeneca is producing.

LINK

VERY promising, IMO.

• Like 1

A very interessting question, while Europe is doing fairly well- aside from spikes here and there- localy- I do not see a ship sailing out of the United States soon.

Personally if a TA crossing beginning Dec. 1 goes- I am on it- even if it means to stay on board in NY- our only port of call. I ve been there a lot of times - so if i can just " wave" it may be sad- but I look forward to a relaxing time on board the QM2- even if that means wearing a mask quite often- even if it means social distancing- we are doing this since three month here- so we are pretty used to the new normal now!

It may be a different experience- but different does not mean not to enjoy it!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Germancruiser said:

A very interessting question, while Europe is doing fairly well- aside from spikes here and there- localy- I do not see a ship sailing out of the United States soon.

Personally if a TA crossing beginning Dec. 1 goes- I am on it- even if it means to stay on board in NY- our only port of call. I ve been there a lot of times - so if i can just " wave" it may be sad- but I look forward to a relaxing time on board the QM2- even if that means wearing a mask quite often- even if it means social distancing- we are doing this since three month here- so we are pretty used to the new normal now!

It may be a different experience- but different does not mean not to enjoy it!

Sailing on the QM2 even with a mask glued to my face sounds pretty good to me right now!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/23/2020 at 11:34 AM, WestLakeGirl said:

You can’t go from one US port to another without visiting a distant foreign port, five days isn’t long enough for that, so I can’t see that kind of itinerary happening ever

I think a Miami, Ft Lauderdale or Port Canaveral embarkation and disembarkation sailing with a stop at Coco Cay and 2 sea days would be a good test run.  Then expand from there.  I personally think that a sailing of the following  would be nice.

Day 1 Embarkation

Day 2 Sea Day

Day 3 Arrive at Coco Cay in morning

Day 4 Coco Cay departing early evening

Day 5 Sea Day

Day 6 Disembarkation

The US Government needs to help cruise industry restart and can, if they want to help, relax some rules/regulations for a period of time.

11 hours ago, wallysdtr said:

I think they are doing clinical trials.  My understanding is that the Govt will 'speculate/take the financial risk' that the vaccine undergoing the 3rd phase of clinical trials will be effective and thus will underwrite the cost to at the same time, ramp up production, thus have the vaccine available IF/AND ONLY IF it passes whatever the criteria is that would make sense to put into commercial production.  Typically, after successful trials, private companies have then and only then ramped up production, following a serial timeline.

I hope this is what they are doing.  It would save months of time and have millions more of an effective vaccine available earlier.

5 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Found this information...but really cant believe it, just seems like wishful thinking.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/cruise-lines-reopening-dates-of-sailings-and-what-you-need-to-know/

You can wholly ignore it.  I stopped when I go to Azamara.  They're a member of CLIA and they've suspended sailings until Sept.15th.

Deaths daily have taken a 72% drop from their peak nationwide as cases have increased (undoubtedly the younger/ healthier are testing positive, more testing ect.). 

At this point I have serious doubts we will have a reliable vaccine for COVID 19 with all this antibody talk, a healthy immune response might not generate antibodies. The important question is whether or not a vaccine is even needed given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus in the vast majority.

Edited by pumpkin 11

2 hours ago, shipshape sam said:

I think a Miami, Ft Lauderdale or Port Canaveral embarkation and disembarkation sailing with a stop at Coco Cay and 2 sea days would be a good test run.  Then expand from there.  I personally think that a sailing of the following  would be nice.

Day 1 Embarkation

Day 2 Sea Day

Day 3 Arrive at Coco Cay in morning

Day 4 Coco Cay departing early evening

Day 5 Sea Day

Day 6 Disembarkation

The US Government needs to help cruise industry restart and can, if they want to help, relax some rules/regulations for a period of time.

Let Liberia help them out, that's the flag they fly.

51 minutes ago, jonthomas said:

Found this information...but really cant believe it, just seems like wishful thinking.

https://www.traveloffpath.com/cruise-lines-reopening-dates-of-sailings-and-what-you-need-to-know/

The key paragraph:

Important Note: These are projected sailing dates from each cruise line. Cruise line suspensions can be extended at anytime. This information is based on information directly from the official website for each Cruise Line. Sailings and reopening dates can change without notice. 

14 hours ago, wallysdtr said:

For anyone under 60 or so, I agree with your last sentence involving something untested..

Edited by PTC DAWG

14 hours ago, DrKoob said:

I don’t watch any of the major news networks,  but your comment Re Fox lead me to google. 

this came up immediately

https://www.foxnews.com/health/coronavirus-vaccine-trials-developments

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, pumpkin 11 said:

Deaths daily have taken a 72% drop from their peak nationwide as cases have increased (undoubtedly the younger/ healthier are testing positive, more testing ect.). 

At this point I have serious doubts we will have a reliable vaccine for COVID 19 with all this antibody talk, a healthy immune response might not generate antibodies. The important question is whether or not a vaccine is even needed given the low morbidity and mortality of the virus in the vast majority.

Your first sentence rarely makes the news headlines...it seems important to me..

• Like 1