Oceania refuses to refund

karenbalk

5 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Do you ever stop with the negative posts..please try another cruise line, they might appreciate all you do..

Jancruz1

I sense your frustration. One Oceania cruise does not an "expert" make.

Like so many other Oceania regulars, I finally decided to just not reply to her posts.  I hope other will follow suit and, perhaps, she'll go away. 

But, of course, there will be some folks who want to hear the results of her being an "information junkie" and want to give her the "benefit of doubt."

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, Jancruz said:

Do you ever stop with the negative posts..please try another cruise line, they might appreciate all you do..

Jancruz1

Do you ever stop being blatantly biased? (I'm honestly surprised that you're allowed to post on this board.) We adored our first/only cruise with Oceania but I think they've done a poor job since COVID. I've gotten emails from executives with various airlines and cruise lines but not a word from them.

45 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Like so many other Oceania regulars, I finally decided to just not reply to her posts.  I hope other will follow suit and, perhaps, she'll go away. 

But, of course, there will be some folks who want to hear the results of her being an "information junkie" and want to give her the "benefit of doubt."

Did you see that we LOVED our cruise. Every bit of it.  We had subsequently booked two more, one for this year and one for next. Canceled now.

ETA; Oh, and I reported that we got our last refund one day short of the "four to six weeks" that they had said. 

Edited by clo

1 hour ago, clo said:

Do you ever stop being blatantly biased? (I'm honestly surprised that you're allowed to post on this board.) We adored our first/only cruise with Oceania but I think they've done a poor job since COVID. I've gotten emails from executives with various airlines and cruise lines but not a word from them.

I guess you are just not special enough 😎

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, LHT28 said:

I guess you are just not special enough 😎

So you've had favor courting communications? That's terrific.

Edited by clo

2 hours ago, Jancruz said:

Jancruz1

2 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I agree with you Jan and FF.  She's not really contributing to the discussion in any positive way, and as FF says, one cruise does not make any one an expert.  But some folks become experts in their own mind if they have the most minimal of experience or information.

I've chosen to "ignore" her posts, and life is so much better.

Edited by 1985rz1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 7:33 PM, EasyGoingGuy said:

I was going on that same cruise. Some friends and us flew to Lima in the week before.  BEFORE we left we we weighed the pros and cons and made a calculated decision to go. One of the cons was that the cruise could be canceled. While we were there no new information showed up that we didn't know when we left.  When the cruise was canceled, that Friday the 13th, we booked a flight that next Monday, the day the airport closed (happily getting out).  Trying not to be mean or cruel, but from where I sit, it seems that those folks made a really poor choice to travel, one of them was even "immune compromised".  I feel for them, but if the Marina had sailed on schedule, wouldn't they be out the entire cost of the cruise with no future credit?  They came within 2 days of that.

I'm a bit confused about the OP's scenario and why the travelling group notified O that they are cancelling the cruise. 

Assuming there is no insurance in place to cover the cancellation, I'm not clear on why someone would bother cancelling a cruise a day before sailing anyway (other than perhaps courtesy I suppose)?  Isn't it a 100% penalty (no refund, no FCC, nothing) so what is the point of telling the cruise line that you're cancelling so close in?  Or does the cruise line require you to be at the terminal ready to board when it officially cancels for the cruise line to be on the hook for the cancellation?

In other words, if OP just booked the plane tickets and went home a day before embarkation without telling the cruise line that they were cancelling their cruise, wouldn't they have been then eligible for the 100% refund option?

Feel for the OP though because basically it's become a game of chicken between the cruise line and passengers and the game of chicken centres around passengers gambling on their health.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

16 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

I will take your advice..Thanks,

Jancruz1

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

......In other words, if OP just booked the plane tickets and went home a day before embarkation without telling the cruise line that they were cancelling their cruise, wouldn't they have been then eligible for the 100% refund option?

In that situation, you are correct. But, there are other situations where (for example), if folks were to state that they are "sick" and shouldn't board, they would have to actually be at embarkation to be denied boarding by the medical authorities in order to be refunded the cruise fare paid.

1 hour ago, ShopperfiendTO said:

I'm a bit confused about the OP's scenario and why the travelling group notified O that they are cancelling the cruise. 

Assuming there is no insurance in place to cover the cancellation, I'm not clear on why someone would bother cancelling a cruise a day before sailing anyway (other than perhaps courtesy I suppose)?  Isn't it a 100% penalty (no refund, no FCC, nothing) so what is the point of telling the cruise line that you're cancelling so close in?  Or does the cruise line require you to be at the terminal ready to board when it officially cancels for the cruise line to be on the hook for the cancellation?

There was also the option since Covid  to get an FCC if you cancelled up to 48 hrs prior

which seems to be what happened maybe not intentionally on the OP's part

https://www.oceaniacruises.com/assurance

Good business practice is to try to please the customer. Within reason, keeping people happy is good for business.   Offering money refunded would be the best option under these circumstances.   Some cruise lines did offer cash or a bonus if people chose fcc.  Keeping fares and only offering  credit on a cruise that the cruise lines did not sail is not good customer service.  Anyone stung by this will choose other companies that refund.  When ships sail again and people resume booking travel, we will remember the companies that did the right thing.  

• Like 1