Cruise Critic Community
Sign in to follow this  
Keith1010

If IT'S SUNDAY - IT"S TIME TO COOK LAMB TIKKA MASALA WITH JON ASHTON

Tune in this Sunday at 3:00 PM EDT on Crystal Cruises Face Book Page for the live cooking demonstration or watch later on the video.

Keith

Prep Your Pantry for Indian Classic Cuisine 

This week on Sunday Cooking with Chef Jon Ashton, we’re forgoing subtle hints of flavor for the boldness of a classic Indian dish, marrying garam masala, tandoori spice, smoked paprika and other aromatic ingredients you’d expect to find when wandering the markets of Mumbai. It all melds together around tender lamb meat that melts in your mouth as freshly baked naan bread gathers the spare sauce. Tikka masala is a favorite the world over, from India to Britain and far beyond, even to Crystal ships, where Waterside chefs have been known to create the elaborate spread upon request, even if it is not featured on the evening’s menu.

Fun fact: Traditional tikka masala is prepared with tandoori chicken, though can be prepared with lamb, which is higher in iron and zinc and often more tender. 

The entire image has our mouths watering already – for, both, Sunday’s meal and explorations of India and all of her delectable temptations. Until we can explore this storied land of ancient traditions (culinary and otherwise), join Chef Jon Ashton in the kitchen and cook along LIVE this Sunday, June 28 at 3 p.m. ET on the Crystal Facebook page.

Lamb Tikka Masala with Naan Bread 
By Chef Jon Ashton

Ingredients: 

Lamb Marinade 
1 tablespoon garam masala
2 tablespoons tandoori spice
3 garlic cloves, pureed (use garlic press or Microplane)
1-inch piece of fresh ginger, pureed (use Microplane)
1 cup heavy cream
1 1/2 pounds lamb leg sirloin, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes

Tikka Masala Sauce 
2 tablespoons butter
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, minced
2 tablespoons garam masala
2 teaspoons smoked paprika
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 cup chicken stock
1 24 oz Rao’s tomato sauce
1 can coconut milk

Directions: 

Whisk together first 5 ingredients for marinade in a large bowl. Add lamb pieces and toss to evenly coat. Cover bowl with plastic wrap and let marinate overnight in refrigerator. 

For the sauce: 

Heat butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add garlic and ginger and cook until slightly golden. Add spices and tomato paste and stir together for 30 seconds. Add stock, tomato sauce and coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and reduce sauce until desired consistency, stirring occasionally. Taste for seasoning.

Lamb:

Preheat broiler 10 minutes before ready to cook. 

Remove lamb from marinade and place on an oven tray lined with a cooling rack. Spray lamb with vegetable oil spray and broil on top shelf until golden. Turn lamb over and broil other side. 

Add, lamb to cooked and seasoned masala sauce and serve with rice and naan bread. 

Simple Naan Bread

2 cups All Purpose flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup, plus 1 tablespoon whole milk
1 large egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1 tablespoon canola or vegetable oil

Whisk flour, baking soda and salt together in a large bowl. In another bowl, whisk milk, egg, sugar and canola oil. Add wet ingredients to flour bowl and make dough. Remove dough bowl from bowl and knead for a few minutes. Place back in bowl and cover with a cloth or plastic wrap. Let dough rise at room temperature for 2-4 hours.

When you’re ready to roll out the dough, make sure you have two bowls on your counter: one with extra flour in it, and one with water. Separate the dough into 4 equal portions and lightly roll each one in the bowl of extra flour to keep them from sticking to each other.

Using a rolling pin, roll each piece of dough into a teardrop shape, narrower at the top than at the bottom. Repeat this method with the rest of the dough.

Warm a large cast-iron skillet over high heat until it’s nearly smoking.

Dampen your hands in the bowl of water and pick up one of your naans, flip-flopping it from one hand to the other to lightly dampen it. Lay dough in skillet. Once the dough starts to bubble, turn the bread over. Cook for additional minute until lightly colored. 

Serve plain or brush with garlic butter (melt 3 tablespoons minced garlic with 1 stick butter)

Makes 4

We love Indian food in our household so I look forward to this session.  The recipe looks good but I'll be adding cardamom to the tikka masala sauce!  I may even try to make naan in my trusty Lodge. 

This is the video from today's cooking demonstration.  Can't wait to make this.

Keith

What a great episode.  I was stoked to see my favorite savory spice, cardamom, featured prominently.  Who woulda thought to include it in a cocktail?  Well I took Chef Jon's hot tip and now have some cardamom pods working their magic in a bottle of vodka!  Was tempted to tweak the lamb tikka masala recipe but decided to follow it as printed. My lamb is now marinating overnight before the big cook-off tomorrow.

I agree Cancun01 and MightyQuinn...It was a wonderful show.  Each week we learn something new from Chef Jon and we always love how he provides alternatives.  I was thinking while they have food and wine themes and Jon has been on for some of those, they could have a Chef Jon Ashton and Mrs. Spielberg Themed Cruise.  They are both a delight and I love their enthusiasm and passion and glass is half full approach.  For those who have trouble viewing the Video this one is from You Tube.

Happy Monday everyone.

Keith

Now that I look at the first post, I understand the question about baking powder vs. baking soda. The list of ingredients is evidently correct, not the first sentence.

I agree, I thoroughly enjoyed this one. I hope the cruiser who gave Jon the idea for the spice drawer was watching! We’ve noticed it on previous Sundays.

23 hours ago, MightyQuinn said:

My lamb is now marinating overnight before the big cook-off tomorrow.

After marinating the lamb overnite, I finished the tikka masala today and we had it for lunch.  Even without the "game changer" smoke from the charcoal chimney, it was delicious.  Also made naan in my cast iron skillet.  This was less successful.  It was just OK and not worth the effort.  It never would be mistaken for proper naan baked in a tandoor oven.  OTOH, I have cardamom pods happily infusing in vodka which will be ready soon!

42 minutes ago, MightyQuinn said:

After marinating the lamb overnite, I finished the tikka masala today and we had it for lunch.  Even without the "game changer" smoke from the charcoal chimney, it was delicious.  Also made naan in my cast iron skillet.  This was less successful.  It was just OK and not worth the effort.  It never would be mistaken for proper naan baked in a tandoor oven.  OTOH, I have cardamom pods happily infusing in vodka which will be ready soon!

Fantastic.

As we watched the live demo I felt like I could smell the food.  

Keith

13 minutes ago, Keith1010 said:

As we watched the live demo I felt like I could smell the food. 

Cooking Indian definitely permeates the house with a distinctive aroma!  I have leftover Lamb Tikka Masala so we'll be smelling it for a few more days.  But it's all good.