Excursions from LeHarve to Normandy

kalinedrive

I hqave never been to Normandy and I am very excited to try to connect on the best possible excursion to and from Normandy from our docking at Le Harve.  Any recommendations.  Sailing on the Crown Princess next May.

Thanks in advance

Edited by kalinedrive

Now that you have found the best location for your research, please look down the board...there are several recommended venders. Perhaps the most commonly mentioned is the one we have used, Overlord Tours. Great operation, great tour.

We used Cunard’s tour twice (American sector in 2017; Juno & Sword last year). 

If Princess uses the same operator, then I would recommend that.

The cost was about $20 higher than Overlord’s bus tour, but made up for that by including a very nice lunch.

• 1 month later...

What is your primary interest in Normandy?  WWII and the D-Day beaches?  Medieval Normandy (castles, Bayeux tapestry) or are you a foodie? (Shore side restaurants & oysters, the Cider trail)  That will help you focus your efforts and searching.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am taking a friend who's father is buried at the cemetery.  He died in the invasion  before she was born. We are looking for a very small private tour as it will be very emotional for her.  any recommendations?

Just looked at the overlord site.  Any other recomendations for a private tour.

Edited by irishgal432

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

D-Day Battle Tours, I’d highly recommend Monica Baan. Probably their other guides are just as good but she was wonderful. Phone +33 2 33 01 26 12 or take their name, drop the dash and mash the words together, adding the standard com ending.

We went during the 75th anniversary commemoration in June 2019. Even though we are amateur WW2 aficionados we learned a tremendous amount from her, plus her local knowledge and contacts  kept us out of the big crowds and we got some personal experiences we wouldn’t have on our own. She will tailor your trip for your interests.

• 4 weeks later...

Just back from a port call at Le Havre (October 2021) and a tour with Overlord to Normandy and the battle sites....

Great tour....Overlord is the way to go.  Guide knew it all and had personal experiences to share from his grandparents.  He was very knowledgable of every detail of the battle.  No words are available to describe walking on Omaha Beach and then seeing the graves of our young men. 

Visited a couple of French towns and the folks were glad to see us and were very welcoming (unlike Paris).....

Overlord tour was 12 or so folks so easy on/easy off.   Full day.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2020 at 1:07 PM, kalinedrive said:

I hqave never been to Normandy and I am very excited to try to connect on the best possible excursion to and from Normandy from our docking at Le Harve.  Any recommendations.  Sailing on the Crown Princess next May.

Thanks in advance

Go to tours by locals.... better than Overlord.   For about $900 you can get a 11 hour custom tour that is 10 x better  I   Igor... this is for up to 8 and hits  St Mere Eglise, Meredet  St Marie Du mont.    American cem, Omaha Batteries,  Bretten court manor , Angoville auPain....   Pont Du hoc is now all fenced in and a sad pvercrowded cattle path...   These sites are where and how the D day story happened.... many band of brothers sites...  Includes a lite lunch.....     Igor is a local from Bayeux  a teacher ... not a bus tour     Be cautious as many tours that are commercial will want to get you back by 5 ( quitting time) and do a  crowd circut devoid of history...  been there 3 times..... Go with Igor   on the Tours by locals site..

Edited by Hawaiidan
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Another vote for Overlord Tours.  We spent a 1/2 day touring Juno Beach, the Juno Beach Centre Museum, the surrounding areas (Bayeux, Caen, Bény-sur-Mer Canadian War Cemetery, etc.). Our local guide was excellent and passionate in explaining all the details of the Canadian landings.  We were in a small van of three couples. Most informative.