Deposit made on board really was not a deposit

wesport

Last November, I made a reservation on board the Koningsdam. I reserved a two week cruise on the Rotterdam for October 2020.  The future cruise consultant explained the $200 deposit was fully refundable.  When I came home, I transferred it to my TA. In April , I cancelled the cruise and was told by my TA that I would be issued a FCC. Since it was only $200, I didn't question it. Not a big deal.  When I booked another cruise this July on the Rotterdam which is 17 days, my TA said the $200 was accepted for the deposit and not the $600 as part of my private fare sale.  In addition to that, I got the original OBC that you get that was applied to the original booking I made on board. A pleasant surprise in this turbulent world. 

Edited by wesport
spell

The $200 was actually a Future Cruise Deposit, which can only be purchased onboard. 

It was $100 for you,

and $100 for your wife.

An FCD transfers from a booking back to your Mariner account and then on to your next booking.  It allows you to make a booking with what amounts to a $100. deposit.  And it comes with an automatic OBC that is based on length of sailing and type of cabin.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HamOp said:

So why was it not a deposit as the heading says?

It's early, maybe I'm missing something?

A refundable deposit would have been refunded as the future cruise consultant stated. No complaints as I was able to use the $200 to book a new cruise without the new $600. I thought the FCC would be applied after I made the $600 deposit. 

2 hours ago, wesport said:

I thought the FCC would be applied after I made the $600 deposit. 

Because it wasn't an 'FCC'; it was a 'FCD'. There's a difference. 

I know, alphabet soup. But I worked for the government, so got very used to that, and to the nuances of technical differences. 

• Like 7