Cruise Critic Community
DCGuy64

Considering NCL for birthday cruise next January

Have you considered the Epic? It has the best spa of all the ships. The bathroom layout is a little weird but it doesn’t both us. We did an 11 day to the southern Caribbean in January and it was amazing! I’m a sun worshiper but we did see some amazing things at all the islands. My husband is a giant kid and loves the slides. 🤣

2 hours ago, yankees111 said:

Broadway cancelled all shows into January 2021. If I were you I would be looking into cruises that depart in 2022.

I’m planning to go to law school beginning Fall 2021 & I doubt I’ll have time in 2022, but I suppose we’ll see. Right now I’m only interested in the January 2021 trip. 

38 minutes ago, Sweetnspicy said:

Have you considered the Epic? It has the best spa of all the ships. The bathroom layout is a little weird but it doesn’t both us. We did an 11 day to the southern Caribbean in January and it was amazing! I’m a sun worshiper but we did see some amazing things at all the islands. My husband is a giant kid and loves the slides. 🤣

That looks like a great ship! Yes, we did consider the Epic, actually. It was on our short list. It has a sailing from San Juan on my birthday also. However, we’ve been to the ABC islands 3 years ago and the other two ports (St Kitts and St Lucia) before. My travel agent and friend suggested that I “do something new” for my birthday which is why we picked the Joy-3 of the 4 ports are brand new to us. 😊 

1 hour ago, DCGuy64 said:

That looks like a great ship! Yes, we did consider the Epic, actually. It was on our short list. It has a sailing from San Juan on my birthday also. However, we’ve been to the ABC islands 3 years ago and the other two ports (St Kitts and St Lucia) before. My travel agent and friend suggested that I “do something new” for my birthday which is why we picked the Joy-3 of the 4 ports are brand new to us. 😊 

I hope you have a wonderful birthday trip no matter what you choose! I’m looking at something to celebrate my birthday October 2021 and this year is our 15th wedding anniversary and all our plans were of course cancelled but we are looking to maybe combining these missed milestones. I would love to do a 21 day cruise! 

Thanks, @Sweetnspicy. I do, too. While I’m sure I’m not alone in this, we’ve had at least 3 trips cancelled this year due to Coronavirus, including a cruise last month, a trip to Michigan for July 4 (where I would’ve seen my extended family, whom I rarely get to see), and a singing trip to Iceland this August that was postponed from LAST August. So while I don’t even know if next January’s trip will happen, I’m so depressed about this year that I had to have SOMETHING to look forward to for next year. 

7 hours ago, Sweetnspicy said:

I hope you have a wonderful birthday trip no matter what you choose! I’m looking at something to celebrate my birthday October 2021 and this year is our 15th wedding anniversary and all our plans were of course cancelled but we are looking to maybe combining these missed milestones. I would love to do a 21 day cruise! 

We did a 21 Day cruise a few years ago.  It was a lot of fun but I was ready to get home after about 18 days.  Probably because the last 2-3 days were quite cold as we were approaching the northern gulf to New Orleans debarkation.  I'm sure you will have a great time! We ahve never done Birthday cruises as my husband and my birthday's are in May and June and we normally go in the winter months.  We do, however, go for our annivresary most of the time.

22 hours ago, DCGuy64 said:

Thank you so much for the helpful information. We ended up booking a mini-suite with balcony, and took advantage of the "Free at Sea" offers, so we got specialty dining, Internet, excursions and the unlimited beverage package. I've been watching a lot of video tours of the Norwegian Joy and am really impressed with it. I'm particularly looking forward to the Waterfront and the Observation Gallery. Of course, all of this assumes that cruising will have resumed by then, so fingers crossed. Thanks again!

I'm glad you booked and got all the great Free at Sea offers as well.  I have not been on the Joy, but the Getaway has the waterfront and it is really wonderful.  They have al fresco dining as well which is really nice.  I'm sure you will love it!

My choice is the Joy, no question. It offers BOTH the outside Waterfront for drinking and dining along with the inside Observation Lounge offering panoramic views (along with cocktails and snacks). Make your own spa by getting a deck chair near a hot tub in the adults only section, Spice H20, and lounge outdoors in the warm sun on the Caribbean Sea -- in January -- isn't it cold and icy in DC?  At night step outside to go dancing at Spice. I love all the NCL ships (I'm a cheerleader for Norwegian) but think Joy and Bliss are the two best in the tropics. You've got me dreaming of the good times now. May they soon return for all of us.

4 hours ago, Eggs2Go said:

My choice is the Joy, no question. It offers BOTH the outside Waterfront for drinking and dining along with the inside Observation Lounge offering panoramic views (along with cocktails and snacks). Make your own spa by getting a deck chair near a hot tub in the adults only section, Spice H20, and lounge outdoors in the warm sun on the Caribbean Sea -- in January -- isn't it cold and icy in DC?  At night step outside to go dancing at Spice. I love all the NCL ships (I'm a cheerleader for Norwegian) but think Joy and Bliss are the two best in the tropics. You've got me dreaming of the good times now. May they soon return for all of us.

Thank you, I’m glad to hear that! I’m dreaming, too. Half the fun for me is just the planning. I’m also excited about the possibility of eating al fresco. Never done that on a ship 🛳  before!