ITV 2 July 2100 - Billion Pound Cruise Industry: All at Sea

Harry Peterson

2 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Worth watching maybe?

Investigation into the impact of Coronavirus on cruising.

Just a heads up.

Blimey. I was thinking that the cruise industry would take as much as 10 years to recover to pre pandemic levels of custom and growth, but if it’s still going to be struggling in 2100 (I.e. 80 years time) then they really do have a problem 😂 

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

14 minutes ago, pete14 said:

I have to say that the description makes it sound like a ‘moan fest’ full of negatives and scare stories. I hope I am wrong but balance does not seem to have been considered. 

Im sure that you are right but, out of interest, what could the positive stories about the cruise industry during the pandemic be to balance it out?

• Like 1

Wow this does sound like it could do more harm than good for the industry. I've read articles in recent weeks that the cruise industry has been unfairly.singled out with no statistics to prove it is a floating petri dish of germs. In fact some flights saw many passengers infected in a matter of hours and yet the airline 8ndustry didn't get singled out. Dont get me wrong what happened aboard the Princess was bad but very few deaths came as a result of being on cruise ships. That balance needs to be there and I already fear it won't be

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, sweep2907 said:

Wow this does sound like it could do more harm than good for the industry. I've read articles in recent weeks that the cruise industry has been unfairly.singled out with no statistics to prove it is a floating petri dish of germs. In fact some flights saw many passengers infected in a matter of hours and yet the airline 8ndustry didn't get singled out. Dont get me wrong what happened aboard the Princess was bad but very few deaths came as a result of being on cruise ships. That balance needs to be there and I already fear it won't be

I suppose the difference is that you are only on a plane for a few hours and it may be some days afterwards before people become unwell, so the causal link is often lost. On a cruise ship, however, Norovirus outbreaks and ‘cruise coughs’ can take hold during your time on the ship and become very apparent. The same obviously applies with Coronavirus. Whilst the total number of deaths on cruise ships is indeed a small proportion of the worldwide toll (primarily because the industry shut down at a very early stage), I distinctly recall a news article at a very early stage of the virus where Diamond Princess alone had the biggest single concentration of cases in the world! Add to this the whole cabin confinement issue, that would be most peoples idea of hell, and it is sadly inevitable that the portrayal of the cruise industry will not be a positive one! For a company such as P&O, that is relying more and more on the ‘new to cruising’ market, this won’t help restore confidence in a sector where there are plenty of other choices than cruising. 

Edited by Selbourne

1 hour ago, pete14 said:

I have to say that the description makes it sound like a ‘moan fest’ full of negatives and scare stories. I hope I am wrong but balance does not seem to have been considered. 

Totally agree, no one asked me for my input!!!🤣

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Selbourne said:

Im sure that you are right but, out of interest, what could the positive stories about the cruise industry during the pandemic be to balance it out?

Maybe some focus on P&O, the largest UK based cruise line (it is a UK programme), who, as far as we  know, had few if any Covid infections. 

18 minutes ago, pete14 said:

Maybe some focus on P&O, the largest UK based cruise line (it is a UK programme), who, as far as we  know, had few if any Covid infections. 

I wonder why, if cruises on ships are so dangerous for spreading Covid all those Navy ships are still sailing around. Just a thought.🤔

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, zap99 said:

I wonder why, if cruises on ships are so dangerous for spreading Covid all those Navy ships are still sailing around. Just a thought.🤔

Totally fatuous comparison, with naval deployments lasting for 6 months or more.

As an aside, talking about "all those naval ships " is extremely amusing. Of the 76 ships in the RN , 25% are not active. Of the latest destroyers, half are not seaworthy, and the new aircraft carriers, due to enter service in 8 years time, will not have sufficient support and defensive vessels to allow them to function.

The RN is also short of 2000 sailors.

Sorry for the thread drift.

Edited by wowzz

Let’s be honest, everyone who was a passenger that they interview on the programme will have some sort claim or group action against the cruise line. They will have had their dream holiday/holiday of a lifetime/dream honeymoon (delete as appropriate) completely ruined and will never be able to leave their house again because of that cruise ship. They will be looking to enhance their claim. 

Maybe I’m cynical but looking at the description of the programme that certainly seems to be the case. As people have said there doesn’t appear to be any balance to this. Time will tell. 

19 minutes ago, Alan Flett said:

Let’s be honest, everyone who was a passenger that they interview on the programme will have some sort claim or group action against the cruise line. They will have had their dream holiday/holiday of a lifetime/dream honeymoon (delete as appropriate) completely ruined and will never be able to leave their house again because of that cruise ship. They will be looking to enhance their claim. 

Maybe I’m cynical but looking at the description of the programme that certainly seems to be the case. As people have said there doesn’t appear to be any balance to this. Time will tell. 

A little soon to be suggesting there’s no balance, when the programme hasn’t even aired yet!

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Harry Peterson said:

A little soon to be suggesting there’s no balance, when the programme hasn’t even aired yet!

You only need to follow the link Jean provided to see the type of programme it is likely to be. 

16 minutes ago, pete14 said:

You only need to follow the link Jean provided to see the type of programme it is likely to be. 

I’ve seen the linked information. Never prejudge. Let’s just wait to see the evidence, shall we?

Realistically speaking though, it would be quite difficult to put out a positive message about cruising and Coronavirus at present, wouldn’t it, given the background.

Edited by Harry Peterson
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, pete14 said:

True, but there were a number of customers from the Arcadia World Cruise (that never was) who featured in the press, so I wouldn’t be at all surprised if that was mentioned. Whilst P&O did as best as they could given the impossible circumstances, and several passenger who were on that cruise have posted very favourably on here about how it was all handled, I know that we wouldn’t have fancied being on the cruise ship that broke the record for the longest time at sea without making landfall! We struggle with 3 or more sea days in a row, and that’s with a fully functioning ship, let alone one with restrictions, and an experience like that would have put us off cruising forever! Even with the compensation offered, it was an eye watering financial outlay for what should have been a cruise of a lifetime and wasn’t. 

• Like 1

On the bright side, in the very unlikely event that a single programme has any discernible negative impact on the public perception of cruising, prices will drop.

Very unlikely though. Having said that, one single 1983 World in Action ITV programme had a pretty devastating effect on the growing use of timber frame in housing construction.

I’m expecting it to have a negative slant but we will see. I’ve already had non cruising friends throw their hands up in horror “oh I would hate to be trapped on a boat,* ugh worse place” but would happily sit on a plane for hours!

* I then have to bite my tongue to not say “ship” very sharply 😁

• Like 1