ITV 2 July 2100 - Billion Pound Cruise Industry: All at Sea

Harry Peterson

4 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

Its annoying me already. Those two from the Diamond Princess love the attention. I remember then being all over the place at the time. And he knew something serious was going on when people were sneezing and had runny noses during an excursion. I mean, REALLY?

Perfectly written. There is no mention of the jobs at risk as staff from all around the world have no idea what tomorrow holds.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

Its annoying me too, but it does look like cruise ships spread the virus quite a bit!

I don't doubt that they contributed but even if cruise ships hadn't existed, the virus would still have spread across the world. But these programme would have you believe it was all down to cruise ships. Looking back now, you can't believe they still sent cruise ships out during that first week in March! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't doubt that they contributed but even if cruise ships hadn't existed, the virus would still have spread across the world. But these programme would have you believe it was all down to cruise ships. Looking back now, you can't believe they still sent cruise ships out during that first week in March! 

Yes, I'm sure that cruise ships were a very minor factor in comparison to air travel, which had far more people travelling between countries a whole lot faster.

(And they were still sending cruise ships out not just in the first week of March but the second, the Aurora cruise I was on leaving Southampton on the 11th IIRC - of course we didn't get very far.)

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, jh1809 said:

Yes, I'm sure that cruise ships were a very minor factor in comparison to air travel, which had far more people travelling between countries a whole lot faster.

(And they were still sending cruise ships out not just in the first week of March but the second, the Aurora cruise I was on leaving Southampton on the 11th IIRC - of course we didn't get very far.)

There were still far more passengers travelling by air  during late Feb and early March than on cruise ships.

How did the virus end up here in the UK? By the thousands returning by sea or millions by air?

We returned on the 8th March on Oceana and, as far as I am aware, nobody was infected on board.

I suspect it's just as likely that passengers or crew get infected when they go ashore rather than they infect the local population.

• Like 4

Just now, wowzz said:

Well, that's an hour of my life wasted.

And I will never be able to "unhear" that song - what was she thinking!

It beggars belief, imagine getting them on your table for dinner select price and table for 2 will be the only option from now on 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Well I’m sure that none of us learnt anything new from that programme. On the positive side, it was factual rather than sensationalist. On the negative side, we gleaned no new insights into the future of the industry, aside from the pointless Cruise Critic survey where, surprise surprise, most cruise enthusiasts want to cruise again! Given that P&O has been targeting (and needs to rely very heavily on) the ‘new to cruising’ market in order to fill their ships, insights from that population would have been far more relevant and telling about P&O’s future prospects. As for that dreadful song, that couple did nothing to change the perception of cruisers that many people have. It’s no wonder that so many friends and colleagues seem surprised that we would even contemplate going on a cruise when people like that are held up as the normal punters!

• Like 11
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, molecrochip said:

Contained a number of factual inaccuracies including the idea that only 145 ships were sailing. More like 300+!

Sorry, numbers irrelevant.

The basic cruising risks for the immediate future, were laid bare, can not see, what advantages, there could be to the people reporting the story to misrepresent there findings

But I can understand the advantages from Carnival Towers to whip up there folks, into trying to rubbish the report.

It is a shame,

However I believe that Carnival under estimate the folks from over this side of the pond, we are a mass of individuals, we cannot be led, but we can and do come together for the common good.

2 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

No but you'd have to be pretty stupid to think that it wouldn't have spread without cruise ships. It's a highly contagious disease. Doesn't take much working out does it? 

I refer to your post in February / March!!

6 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

Sorry, numbers irrelevant.

The basic cruising risks for the immediate future, were laid bare, can not see, what advantages, there could be to the people reporting the story to misrepresent there findings

But I can understand the advantages from Carnival Towers to whip up there folks, into trying to rubbish the report.

It is a shame,

However I believe that Carnival under estimate the folks from over this side of the pond, we are a mass of individuals, we cannot be led, but we can and do come together for the common good.

View most certainly my own. The program was largely good.

i personally don’t believe that cruising spread the virus throughout the world. What it did do was allow a single instance to grow into multiple instances within the community of tla particular ship.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mercury7289 said:

I refer to your post in February / March!!

You're like a dog with a bone (an annoying yappy one, not a cute one).

As I said, I'm not an expert, and and even the experts underestimated what lay ahead. So, forgive me for not accurately predicting the future. 

• Haha 1

One thing that struck me, was that both of the featured couples managed at an early stage in the proceedings,  to tell us all how many cruises they had been on. (Not that many in the case of the crooner)

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry to have wasted people's time with this thread - disappointingly ITV!  ☹️

No problem Harry ,the programme really brought it home to us the stress that the passengers

and crew had to endure stuck on a ship with the Mr & Mrs grinding out a tune on her old man's Bontempi 

organ, as she wailed out her own rendition of  🎶 The flying Dutchman /sailing captain 🎶 :classic_unsure:

I suppose those onboard with them had their minds diverted from the covid for a little while.

Something they will never forget I imagine .

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, kalos said:

No problem Harry ,the programme really brought it home to us the stress that the passengers

and crew had to endure stuck on a ship with the Mr & Mrs grinding out a tune on her old man's Bontempi 

organ, as she wailed out her own rendition of  🎶 The flying Dutchman /sailing captain 🎶 :classic_unsure:

I suppose those onboard with them had their minds diverted from the covid for a little while.

Something they will never forget I imagine .

I learned nothing from the program unfortunately and there was no information on how the cruiselines plan to combat the virus on board to enable cruising to restart.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruisenewbie1976 said:

I don't doubt that they contributed but even if cruise ships hadn't existed, the virus would still have spread across the world. But these programme would have you believe it was all down to cruise ships. 

Totally agree. I was skiing in Ischgl (Austria) the last week of February and it transpires the resort was a "petri dish" for Corona. The resort was shut down a week later and surrounding ski areas including St Anton were put in quarantine. I was vomiting on our last night there, then developed an odd cough followed by a very snotty nose. By the next weekend I was fine.

If you Google "Ischgl criminal investigation" you will see it was claimed to be "Ground Zero" for Corona in Europe!

Back to the ITV programme that American reporter was so bias against the cruise industry. The only credit I can give ITV was for the including Carnival Corporation's statement at the end.

• Like 5

44 minutes ago, grapau27 said:

I learned nothing from the program unfortunately and there was no information on how the cruiselines plan to combat the virus on board to enable cruising to restart.

We really did not expect anything Graham to be honest. The virus is new to us all and the cruise industry is 

acting on what the powers that be advise them from around the world, which is very little.

Whatever steps end up in place,it's going to be a very cautious approach ,which they cannot afford to get wrong.

I don't see any easy options that they could implement, not easy for them at all.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Harry Peterson said:

Sorry to have wasted people's time with this thread - disappointingly ITV!  ☹️

Don’t forget that the ITV audience is P&O’s new target customer Harry! Also, although P&O wasn’t directly mentioned, there were enough shots of P&O cruise ships to plant seeds of doubt amongst those considering their first cruise (the other target audience that P&O has been after). Although there was no new information for those of us who have been following the cruise crisis for some time, I doubt that anyone who had previously been considering their first cruise will be calling P&O to make a new booking on the back of that programme, which just heaps more bad news on top of an already dire situation.