Cruise Startup Date

22 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Now that bars have been closed once again in Florida, we should see a significant decrease in COVID numbers here. 😎

Not really. It's akin to closing the barn door after the horse left.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ECCruise said:

There is a pretty well researched study of an indoor restaurant in Guangzou China that showed exactly how the virus spread through the ventilation system, infecting 9 people from different families sitting at 3 different tables.

There is no way I am eating at a closed in restaurant, tables separated or not, until there is evidence that it is safe.  We have too many restaurants with take out and/or widely spaced outdoor seating to even consider inside.

I'm not eating inside either, but I have gone out several times to restaurants that are set up outdoors and will continue to do that.  I'm no more afraid to do that than pick up carry-out.

4 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

I was being sarcastic, although sometimes that is not obvious in online comments. 

lol, sorry. 

Being a sarcastic person myself, I should have realized. I wish there was a sarcastic font,  none of the emoji's seem to convey a sarcastic tone.

34 minutes ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Now that bars have been closed once again in Florida, we should see a significant decrease in COVID numbers here. 😎

Actually, to clarify, the Florida Department of Business Professional Regulations did not close bars, they regulated that alcohol consumption was not allowed on the premises. It effectively will result in bars being closed. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Actually, to clarify, the Florida Department of Business Professional Regulations did not close bars, they regulated that alcohol consumption was not allowed on the premises. It effectively will result in bars being closed. 

Good point, although I would not go to a bar to buy alcohol to drink at home. We always buy alcohol at Publix, Costco or Total Wine for at home consumption. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, sandebeach said:

Agree...thought that was a pretty funny move to allow them to be open, but not serve alcohol.

Ice tea and Shirley Temples anyone?  😄 😄      

• Like 1

23 hours ago, sealeggs said:

So who else thinks RCCL won't start until after 2021? I am starting to think that.

With everything that is going on, if things don’t change, I don’t see how cruising will resume.  Regarding “until after 2021,” I don’t know how any business can shutter its doors for 20 months and still survive.  RCI’s debt is piling up. 

We’re hoping things get better, so we’re keeping our RCI cruise reservations for now. 

• Like 1

With everything that is going on, if things don’t change, I don’t see how cruising will resume.  Regarding “until after 2021,” I don’t know how any business can shutter its doors for 20 months and still survive.  RCI’s debt is piling up. 

We’re hoping things get better, so we’re keeping our RCI cruise reservations for now. 

Carnival has enough liquidity to last for 12 to 13 months while Royal Caribbean and Norwegian will run out of cash in 9 months, if there is absolutely no income

16 hours ago, drsel said:

Carnival has enough liquidity to last for 12 to 13 months while Royal Caribbean and Norwegian will run out of cash in 9 months, if there is absolutely no income

We will see this reflevted in the share price, if RCL will not manage to get any ship sailing by end of this year share price will go below 20 with 0 being the limit (no we don't want it to go there). No one knows what will be with the US, the situation will likely not improve soon, hence a worst case scenario could be no cruises out of North America into Q1 2021 and Australia likely will now allow a cruise season. Hence if RCL is lucky they can sail with 2 ships out of Asia if the situation will alow it and hopefully as of Q2 2021 can send some ships to Europe and open up some cruises out of North America. This scenario is likely, but probably not yet budgeted in with current liquidity levels.

Edited by LXA350

On 6/26/2020 at 11:45 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Restaurants shouldn't be open yet.  They are already showing that they are the source of new outbreaks.  That takes care of your "problem" with wearing a mask in a restaurant.

This has gone on way way too long now. Let’s start living again.  Life is what you make it and this mask carry on is not going to solve it. This will not be solved with mask. Getting on with life

and then 

herd immunity Will come in to stop it is only thing so let just get on with it. If this carries on much longer the economy will never recover.

people are allowed to fly in planes which are smaller spaces than cruise ships.

hotels /

restaurants are open or opening shortly and about time

too but cruise ships can’t go???? I don’t see the rhyme nor reason to that. 
mans with regards to masks the majority of people will not go out to restaurants or go on holiday or cruise if it is mandatory so it is not gonna be mandatory thank goodness 

Edited by fandash
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 6/26/2020 at 5:14 PM, lovescats5 said:

I agree with drrich2.  The government says we will all get covid at some point.  I see family members in stores and some wear masks and some don't.  Some have plastic gloves on and some don't.  And they all go home in the same vehicle.  Don't get the thinking on that.  If you want to stay safe I guess you stay home.  Now in NV the governor has declared that if you go out you better have your mask on and yet he does not wear one.  How do you wear a mask in a restaurant?  I am in the 70+ age range and yet I am willing to take responsibility for my actions.  If I go out and get sick and die then that is on me but at least I am living my life and not sitting at home.  I know, I could get other people sick if I have it, but if we are all going to be exposed eventually does it really make a difference if we are exposed in the store or on a ship. I hope cruises start in Jan 2021 at the latest.  If not then we are all going to see the end of some fun vacations.

I agree with everything you said! I'm in Nashville (live outside of the county, but work in Nashville and spend a lot of time at places in the county. This past weekend we recently had a mandate passed that "requires masks", however there is a TON of exceptions to the rule, including no requirement in Federal and Government buildings which amazes me, since it was government officials that unanimously passed this! LOL. They also stated that they are not able to enforce it or police it, that it would be impossible. No surprise there. It's also up to individual business owners as to whether they will require it or not, and most are not, from my experience.

On 6/26/2020 at 5:45 PM, Merion_Mom said:

Restaurants shouldn't be open yet.  They are already showing that they are the source of new outbreaks.  That takes care of your "problem" with wearing a mask in a restaurant.

This statement amazes me. There is not proof from ANYTHING that I've read that indicates that they are a source of outbreaks. We've been eating out frequently, and going to our favorite bars here in Nashville and surrounding areas ever since they started opening up for dine in. (Take out just isn't the same, and I'd rather cook than get takeout, unless it's pizza). Restaurants are definitely taking extra precautions with cleanliness, social distancing, etc. Even now at phase 3 (75% capacity), things are smooth here regarding restaurants. I know of 3 restaurants that have had to shut down since they reopened(for a brief time (5 days max) because of someone who came into contact with the virus either themselves or from a room mate/friend they were in contact with. I don't call that a widespread outbreak!

On 6/26/2020 at 8:55 PM, John&LaLa said:

Whatever, but why post a link that many people can't open.🤔

It's a waste of time and counterproductive.

Oh, and here's my cute saying. 😁

20200512_130748.jpg.641c9a87e55ca57b8acd76f03976f381.jpg

Best post in this thread!

On 6/27/2020 at 8:08 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I don't understand the reasoning with this at all! Not sure how they can eliminate bars, and not a restaurant. How do they even have any identifier that states the increase in numbers is because of those who went to a bar? Maybe someone can better explain this for me, cause I've tried to find some sort of justification for this, and just can't. But I doubt that anyone can make me understand it.

To the OP, I truly think cruising will restart by October/November time frame. I truly believe that. Of course, no one really knows, and to think someone here or anywhere could have that forsight is just crazy. We are all just speculating of course...but as mentioned by a few others here, there is only so much isolation and quarantine enforcing that people will take. Many business owners have started to stand up and open their businesses. Many people are looking for vacations and things to do with their families. Just look at the numbers of people flocking to places like Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg because they are basically open! Disney theme parks are set to reopen in a couple weeks, so people will be flocking there too. From the posts I see here and other avenues, there are about 3 people wanting to get on a cruise today to every 1 person who says it's too soon. I think that cruiselines are trying to do everything they can to appease the CDC to loosen the no sail order so that they can get out to sea again, even if it is just to the Bahamas and private islands...or even some cruises to "nowhere", which quite honestly I would jump on this weekend if I could!

There is such a thing as free will, which we all have. No one is forcing anyone to cruise (just like the drink package discussions 😉 ) You can either choose to cruise when the ships start sailing again...or you wait it out. There's no question that cruising as we knew it will be different. There's no doubt about it that they will not be sailing at full capacity for a while, and things like self service buffets, ice cream, etc will be gone...but are those really a no go for anyone? Possibly.

I know that if masks are required, I will be holding off on cruising until that is lifted. I know that if a vaccine is required, we will most likely say good-bye to cruising. But we all have our thoughts and feelings on this and no one should be shamed to feel one way or the other.

On 6/26/2020 at 10:02 PM, CAPECODLINDA said:

Hopefully cruise lines won't require the covid vaccine to cruise. NO WAY THE AVAILABILITY WILL BE THERE ONCE DISCOVERED!  The availability of  covid-19 testing kits is example- Millions of vaccine vials would be needed and politicians would decide who should get FIRST!! Like face masks/ventilators/ personal protection etc. Medical experts should be in charge of this pandemic not politicians!!  I'm Ready to Cruise!!!

That is laughable - If the medical experts had their way everything would have been locked up back in March and we would still be inside our houses.  I'm not sure what world you live in if you think for one moment they would open up cruising before this thing is under control just because people are ready to cruise.  Good heavens, some of them were saying that they could see a lockdown going into most of 2021. 

49 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

I don't understand the reasoning with this at all! Not sure how they can eliminate bars, and not a restaurant.

Because with restaurants they can space the tables apart.  Spacing people apart in a bar is practically impossible.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

Because with restaurants they can space the tables apart.  Spacing people apart in a bar is practically impossible.

I was going to say basically the same thing in response to the prior post. Here in Florida (Tampa area) restaurants do a really good job of social distancing, all employees are wearing masks, etc. We have probably eaten out 20 times since restaurants reopened and haven’t seen any issues with social distancing. On the other hand, when bars opened up here recently, the ones we walked by always looked crowded with no obvious attempt at social distancing. While this was only an observation from the outside, since standing around in a crowded bar is not high on my list of things I like to do, I am assuming what we witnessed was common across the state, which led to bars being closed again. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Absolutely NOT impossible. It's called taking away bar stools and enforcing the distancing (which is pretty easy to do). I live in a town FULL of bars  and there has been no problem with this at all. We are actually in phase 3 now, which allows people to sit at bars. I've even seen some bars put pub tables up to the bar and space them out. You're sitting at a pub table, but it is right to the bar. It still doesn't justify the need to close bars at all for me. And again...if people are too concerned or scared about the lack of social distancing at a bar, they simply don't have to go. No one is forcing them there.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MrsKC08 said:

Absolutely NOT impossible. It's called taking away bar stools and enforcing the distancing (which is pretty easy to do). I live in a town FULL of bars  and there has been no problem with this at all. We are actually in phase 3 now, which allows people to sit at bars. I've even seen some bars put pub tables up to the bar and space them out. You're sitting at a pub table, but it is right to the bar. It still doesn't justify the need to close bars at all for me. And again...if people are too concerned or scared about the lack of social distancing at a bar, they simply don't have to go. No one is forcing them there.

Oh it may be possible, and it may happen where you are, but there are obviously many places where it is not happening.  Bar patrons in other places don't seem to be willing to socially distance, and many bars don't seem to be willing to enforce it or do what it takes to separate people.  In those locations, the only solution seems to be shutting down the bars.

People act differently in different locations.  One size most definitely does not fit all.

• Like 1

Most of the bars I go to, people seem to always get closer as the night wears on (Pre-Covid-19). It just seems to happen for some reason. 😈

Edited by HBE4

1 hour ago, MrsKC08 said:

I live in a town FULL of bars  and there has been no problem with this at all. We are actually in phase 3 now, which allows people to sit at bars. I've even seen some bars put pub tables up to the bar and space them out. You're sitting at a pub table, but it is right to the bar.

I wouldn't go quite that far.  My daughter and her boyfriend were in Nashville last weekend.  They said many of the smaller bars on Broadway weren't open (combination of Covid-19 and the recent protests).  Some of the bigger places did a good job of managing social distancing like you said (e.g. Dierks Bentley's).  Others seemed to have no control at all, (e.g. Kid Rock's).  They avoided Kid Rock's like the plague (pun intended).  Kid Rock's had their beer license pulled for 5 days a couple of weeks ago but apparently is back to doing what they were doing before they temporarily lost their license.