Deposit Refund

Have just received our deposit refund from a cruise which we cancelled prior to Tui cancelling and which they said we would loose . We took legal advice under section 12,13 & 14 of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangement regulations 2018(PTR 2018). It was the total amount including all extras such as cabin reservation. Basically you can not be charged for something that does not go ahead. Could be useful info. 👍We are still waiting on another refund on this cruise as they promised, in writing, to refund a voucher set against this cruise in cash which they are now saying will be a voucher. We will see, but it's keeping me busy. 

Morning PC. I cancelled our cruise before it was cancelled by Marella, I’m not sure if it has been cancelled or not at this moment, given the lifting of some travel restrictions,we were due to sail on the 25th July. Our TA said we would lose our deposit (£500) but this was back in March and I figured it was a price worth paying for peace of mind. Do you think I should get onto the TA and push for a refund?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

4 minutes ago, shot2bits said:

Morning PC. I cancelled our cruise before it was cancelled by Marella, I’m not sure if it has been cancelled or not at this moment, given the lifting of some travel restrictions,we were due to sail on the 25th July. Our TA said we would lose our deposit (£500) but this was back in March and I figured it was a price worth paying for peace of mind. Do you think I should get onto the TA and push for a refund?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi I would say definitely if your cruise is cancelled. They can't cite force majeure as they are unable, by law to utilise clause in contract bound by the reg. 

Only problem you could have is if the FCO lift the ban on trave but I don't know. 

Good luck 🤞 

2 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Hopefully won't be too long before you are booking again 🤞

Thanks but think the cruise industry will have to change drastically, and I think it will, before we book again. I see more UK ports replacing airports and cruise only holidays with no ports of call, would imagine they are already planning this type of cruise if not They should be.

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/28/2020 at 11:17 AM, Pensioncruiser said:

Have just received our deposit refund from a cruise which we cancelled prior to Tui cancelling .

That's interesting, and hopefully useful.  On what date did you cancel, and what was the date of the cruise?

8 hours ago, terry2 said:

That's interesting, and hopefully useful.  On what date did you cancel, and what was the date of the cruise?

Hi Terry we cancelled on the last day prior to final payment and the cruise was 6th June. They paid everything back including the £48 cabin reservation. We do still have a refund issue on a second amount. Good luck 🤞 

4 hours ago, Pensioncruiser said:

Hi Terry we cancelled on the last day prior to final payment and the cruise was 6th June. 

Thanks, can you remember exactly which date that was that you cancelled? 

We were due to cruise on 22nd May from corfu.  We had paid the full amount, but when the FCO advised  no travel to italy (and the cruise went to venice), we decided to cancel.  We did so on March 11th (just about the last day when we could cancel and just lose the deposit), the rest of the money we had paid was promptly refunded. 

1 hour ago, terry2 said:

Thanks, can you remember exactly which date that was that you cancelled

I know exactly it was 1930hrs on the 23rd of March. The deposit (cancellation fee) is not refunded if the cruise goes ahead in any form that is why, I think, we had to wait until after our cruise date. 

1 hour ago, Pensioncruiser said:

I know exactly it was 1930hrs on the 23rd of March. The deposit (cancellation fee) is not refunded if the cruise goes ahead in any form that is why, I think, we had to wait until after our cruise date. 

OK, thanks.  That explains why you can get it back, but I don't think I can. 

It was after I cancelled, on Mar 12th that the FCO said oldies (ie over 70s, like me) and other people with medical reasons shouldn't cruise.  If that  had been in force when I cancelled, then section 12(7) and 12(8) would have meant I could get a full refund.   In your case, the FCO said on Mar 17 that there should be no non-essential travel; so your cancellation should have been covered by section 12(7) and a refund of the deposit should have been automatic.  I assume they were just delaying things.

On 6/28/2020 at 11:28 AM, shot2bits said:

In my view the date on which you cancelled is important,  what was it?  Also which countries did the cruise visit?